Strange or fine for one guy to be in a fitness class with

Options

Replies

• Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Point is, why do you care enough to make a post about it?

If a guy wants to be in a class and happens to be all women, more power to him for all the estrogen he has to deal with!

Unless a guy does something creepy like stares lewdly, isn't doing the exercises and just sits in back and touches himself, I think you should just go about your business and treat him like any other individual in the class.
  • JenSpinnaChick
    JenSpinnaChick Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I take spin class and that is mainly women... it is a big calorie burner and I enjoy it.

There is one class that I would like to take, it is some sort of Body Pump class uses lots of different weights and combination lunge type moves. Looks really challenging and difficult... just can't get myself to suck it up and go in for a class. It is early Saturday morning when I am there, but I just stick to my NROL workouts and lift heavy instead.

I also notice one guy who takes the Zumba like class in my gym... surrounded by good looking women in tight workout gear I think he is just crazy like a fox!

I was just going to say as a Spinning instructor, I have a man that takes my class a couple times a week, mostly he is the only male.......He is there just for the kick *kitten* workout!!!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    i saw a woman on the weights yesterday, i was like , um excuse me ma'am go play on the treadmills and ellipticals, this here is man territory.

Poor guy you must have a tiny penis.... Awww bless

When sarcasm is so advanced, people think you're serious.

He's turning the double standard upside down, and pointing out sexism.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't even understand why anyone would ask? I'm starting Zumba next week, and I don't care who's in the class. If it's not specified as single sex then of course it's fine.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    i saw a woman on the weights yesterday, i was like , um excuse me ma'am go play on the treadmills and ellipticals, this here is man territory.

When sarcasm is so advanced, people think you're serious.

He's turning the double standard upside down, and pointing out sexism.

No Hes just a *kitten*
  • KarenLamyman
    Options
    Good for the guys if they do a predominatley woman filled class. I've seen a lone guy come and do my rebound and step classes. They're welcomed and get to see they're tough classes lol
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Been there, been that guy, MANY times. To be honest, it never bothered me one way or the other...once the class gets started you shouldn't have the time to be focused on others around you.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    I call it smart.
  • LastChance4Change
    Options

Ummmmmmmmmm Excuse me but guarantee I can out do you ANY day Bud..
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

If a man ever said that to me, I'd drop a weight on his foot, then say "oops, you must be right, I'm not strong enough to be here." Then I'd go pick up something heavier.

Edited: Okay, I probably wouldn't actually do that, but it would be the first act that entered my mind.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    BUT if you're taking a class that is primarily women, you should probably consider something a bit more challenging depending on what your goals are.

This is a very broad assumption that classes full of women are not challenging.

(I cannot say from personal experience if they are as I do not partake in them).

Yes, i agree. I took an MMA class that was mostly women and the one or two men that tried it did not stay very long. They couldn't keep up!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with it. I've even taken pole dancing classes with men. As long as the guy is actually there to participate, I don't care. I think the main reason women object is that they think guys are just there to check them how, but really, how do you know he's straight, or that the woman behind you isn't checking out your *kitten*?
  • MissJenova
    Options

Seriously?

He's pointing out the fact that if it were posed the other way, people would be up in arms about it being "sexist".

Of course it's fine - he can be in whatever he chooses no matter the gender distribution.

no i was being serious, its not a kitchen.

hahahaha so good.

I've been refreshing this thread just to watch the pure gold that has been resulting from this comment. :heart: it
  • SkienDhu
    SkienDhu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look at his face this guy is a jokester. :)
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options

Bless his heart.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Seriously?

He's pointing out the fact that if it were posed the other way, people would be up in arms about it being "sexist".

Of course it's fine - he can be in whatever he chooses no matter the gender distribution.

no i was being serious, its not a kitchen.

PLEEEEASE POST MOAR!!!!!!! YOU have me ROLLING!!!
  • PantalaNagaPampa
    PantalaNagaPampa Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Shiz.. one of my favorite times to take a crossfit class at my box is the M-F 0900 and 1000, time frame, it is all kick *kitten* women. Some housewives, and some college girls. Sometimes it is fun being the only man in a crossfit class, even if some of the women show me up.. LOL
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    There is one guy in my zumba class and it is fine. Who cares really? Everyone is there for the same reason.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Perfectly fine
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I’ve been the only man in the class on several occasions before. Last fall in one of my attempts to get active again after my ACL reconstruction, a girl I was dating was a yogi and she suggested I give yoga a try. So I looked into it. I thought it was a girlie thing to do. Here in the U.S. it has been marketed to the female population primarily and thus why men aren’t into it much, because the ‘sheeple’ in the U.S. drink the KoolAid of marketing.
    I decided I’d read more about it and found that many pro athletes incorporated yoga into their training routines and it was great for reducing sports related injuries, and had other great effects like improving flexibility which in turn improved golf swings, pitching ability and sports related performance. I finally broke down and found a few studios. After reading up about one I called the owner/instructor and after telling her my concerns about being the creepy guy in the all women class, she assured me that men drop in from time to time as well and that the women in her studio really didn’t mind and it was a friendly environment.
    So, at this point, it was Yoga Month and I ended up getting a week for free to drop into any classes. After telling her my background of lifting, running, volleyball, cross country, and being in the Army, she said I would probably enjoy Ashtanga yoga as it is very challenging. After the 2nd Ashtanga class, I bought 10 sessions and was hooked….at least until I tweaked my knee due to not listening to my body. I’ll be returning to her studio soon as I find time.
    Don’t be afraid to go outside your comfort zone guys…and gals. I love seeing women lifting, and I like not being the only guy in yoga…mix it up! Make new friends, experience new things…it’s way better than regretting things you “should” have done.

I love it when people aren’t ‘quick’ enough to pick up on sarcasm.
    I also notice one guy who takes the Zumba like class in my gym... surrounded by good looking women in tight workout gear I think he is just crazy like a fox!

I’d venture to say he’s smart, not crazy. I’ve talked to some of the super attractive female friends I have and ask them why they are still single, and believe it or not, they tell me that not many guys ask them out that aren’t obvious blatant creeps. Even if his sole purpose of being there is to work out and get fit and he’s not even remotely trying to meet women, after a while, the regulars will get used to him and maybe even at some point make friends…and who knows where that leads. On the up side, the woman already knows she has someone that will go workout with her, lol.
    BUT if you're taking a class that is primarily women, you should probably consider something a bit more challenging depending on what your goals are.

Yea, go take some classes and let us know how UNchallenging they are. Go try a Primary Ashtanga Yoga class and tell me it’s not challenging. Lifting hard can be challenging, but many of these classes look “light” thru the glass when we are out there lifting…but I’m willing to bet that most of us out in the weight room would gas out in many of those classes or at least feel smoked afterwards/the next day.