Strange or fine for one guy to be in a fitness class with

Options

Replies

• RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    i saw a woman on the weights yesterday, i was like , um excuse me ma'am go play on the treadmills and ellipticals, this here is man territory.

Seriously?

He's pointing out the fact that if it were posed the other way, people would be up in arms about it being "sexist".

Of course it's fine - he can be in whatever he chooses no matter the gender distribution.

no i was being serious, its not a kitchen.

You are my hero. Preach on brother
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i saw a woman on the weights yesterday, i was like , um excuse me ma'am go play on the treadmills and ellipticals, this here is man territory.

If a man ever said that to me, I'd drop a weight on his foot, then say "oops, you must be right, I'm not strong enough to be here." Then I'd go pick up something heavier.

Edited: Okay, I probably wouldn't actually do that, but it would be the first act that entered my mind.

I actually was asked once "Are you sure you know what your doing?"
    I was pissed and did exactly what I intended.

I could hear the other guys making remarks to him like
    "looks like she knows exactly what she is doing"
    "Your a *kitten*"

As I walked away I had the biggest smile on my face!!! Never again has he said anything but hi! lol
  • Lovesparklesandcupcakes
    Options

Seriously?

He's pointing out the fact that if it were posed the other way, people would be up in arms about it being "sexist".

Of course it's fine - he can be in whatever he chooses no matter the gender distribution.

Tee hee - You, sir, deserve a sammich!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Seriously?

Tee hee - You, sir, deserve a sammich!

Take note ladies, a sense of humor is sexy!
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    i've done it before and I didn't even feel bad when the women kicked my *kitten* lol
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's trying to get a date.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I took a dance class with my wife once...(hip-hop even)...and was the only guy. Had a blast, and the scenery wasn't bad either. I see nothing wrong with this at all.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    As a group fit instructor I love when men show up to my classes. The presence of that one guy is likely to encourage more guys to give it a try.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ummm.....yes, most of the classes in my gym are packed with females. I watch them fly around the room like spider monkeys on speed. I look forward to the day when I can KEEP UP with them.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Why do people actually care?
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options

Seriously?

no i was being serious.

I always think of this:

For the past 20 years, researchers from linguists to psychologists to neurologists have been studying our ability to perceive snarky remarks and gaining new insights into how the mind works. Studies have shown that exposure to sarcasm enhances creative problem solving, for instance. Children understand and use sarcasm by the time they get to kindergarten. An inability to understand sarcasm may be an early warning sign of brain disease.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/The-Science-of-Sarcasm-Yeah-Right.html#ixzz28FT1VGGH
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Seriously?

no i was being serious.

I always think of this:

For the past 20 years, researchers from linguists to psychologists to neurologists have been studying our ability to perceive snarky remarks and gaining new insights into how the mind works. Studies have shown that exposure to sarcasm enhances creative problem solving, for instance. Children understand and use sarcasm by the time they get to kindergarten. An inability to understand sarcasm may be an early warning sign of brain disease.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/The-Science-of-Sarcasm-Yeah-Right.html#ixzz28FT1VGGH

*snrk* You're awesome. :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Not strange at all. Back in the 1970, I was the only guy in my High School's Home Economic class. Sure, there was the benefit of being the only maale amongst all those gals, but, more importantly, it got me interested in cooking. A passion of mine 42 years later.

Smart man.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Why would it be strange? Unless it was specified as women only class, but I highly doubt any gym would do that.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Not strange or fine....the word is called SMART :drinker:
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My husband is usually the only guy in our crossfit class, about 75% of the time :happy: He loves it that way, ha.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're doing it to be with your wife, then good for you.

BUT if you're taking a class that is primarily women, you should probably consider something a bit more challenging depending on what your goals are.

oh hahahahaha. please come to my spin class so I can kick your *kitten*, then see IF you can talk.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're doing it to be with your wife, then good for you.

BUT if you're taking a class that is primarily women, you should probably consider something a bit more challenging depending on what your goals are.

oh hahahahaha. please come to my spin class so I can kick your *kitten*, then see IF you can talk.

can i come?
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Happens quite a bit in my zumba class, wish more would come out
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

can i come?

game on.