Do you think that thin people hate fat people, and why?

Options
cgarand
cgarand Posts: 541 Member
Recently I have been wondering this, and the news anchor that got an email from a watcher that said she was 'too fat' and a bad role model really made me think it's true. I have seen people be passed over because of their weight, I have had people be downright rude to me because of my weight. I have talked to people who lost weight that say the attention they get after losing weight actually makes them uncomfortable because when they were overweight the same people who give them attention now were mean to them when they were overweight. I have been fit, and fat. And, no doubt fit is better. But, I can't really say I pay attention to other peoples weight and I'm pretty positive I don't treat people differently because of it.

I'm curious about what other people think about this, and what experiences have you had that makes you think one way or the other.

Replies

• Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i surely hope not but,i know,there's some shallow,mean people out there.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There are some thin people who do not like me just because I am huge but there are also fat people who do not like me for the same reason. But there are many many people of all sizes who really don't give a damn, either way. I personally judge people on how they act. If you act rude and think the world revolves and you, then I probably won't hang out with you. But if you are cool and treat others with respect, well then, that is my kind of person, no matter what size you are. I also think confidence plays a huge role in how people are treated.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think it's more fat people hate thin people, then thin people hate fat people(at least on this site).

If a girl is skinny on this site, all the bigger people pile on and say how real women are curvy and bones are for dogs.. which thus makes the thin person feel like crap. Then if a thin person stands up for them selves, it's called hating on the fat people and thus the cycle continues.

In real life though, yes fat people are looked down upon.. not just by skinny people, but by everyone. If you are fat, of course people are going to look you over because of the lazy/slob stigma that is attached to fat people. People may say they don't judge, but they really do.
  • ekalexm
    ekalexm Posts: 73
    Options
    Anyone judging people by their weight is lacking in intellect and certainly in class.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    we judge people for race, religion, the area they live in or car they drive, why do we think that we wont be judged for being fat or thin?
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Anyone judging people by their weight is lacking in intellect and certainly in class.

Winner!

However, I do think people in general are judged not only by their weight by how they look and dress.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    They have the appearance of not caring about themselves. That gets into all kinds of weird issues when you are constantly, everyday, are working so hard on restricting what you eat, exercising, and making good food choices. I, personally, just have a very hard time with respecting that. I don't think they are bad people and that they don't deserve the best things in life, they do. But, inside, I feel like they just don't really care. And, therefore, it's just difficult for me to try to care.

Call me what ever name you want. I'm being honest about how I feel about the situation. This doesn't mean that I'm mean or derogatory, or anything at all. I just have a hard time when they might bring up a medical issue, or talk about how it's hard to walk up the stairs and have to take the elevator instead. Or they take pills for this problem and that problem. And I just keep thinking, all that can disappear fairly quickly.
  • farrari17
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think it's weight in particular. It's unattractiveness. Everyone knows that attractive people have the advantage. If the news anchor was ugly, she/he would get the same reaction. Fat is not considered attractive by most people, therefore people hate on it.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately people tend to judge people who are "different" then them; it has nothing to do with the other person, but more to do with the insecurities of that person (usually); even if they just seem like they are a-holes, they usually have an underlying insecurity.

Don't judge, lest you be judged. I try to see the good in everyone.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of senseless prejudices in the world and I'm sure there are thin people who hate fat people. There are even fat people who hate fat people and plenty of fat people who hate thin people.

Speaking for myself, I was not overweight at all until I was nearly 30 and was even a bit underweight most of my life. I never had a problem with people who were not thin. And when I was at my heaviest, I did not have a problem with thin people (I had some envy and still do, but I didn't hate them).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    people hate people, sadly it is human nature....
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I have some really large friends. I love them but I do wish they would take charge of themselves. (Just so they can be healthy, and enjoy more of life.)
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I hate fat people who tell me I am skinny. I dont have any problem with the rest.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    No I don't think you can say do 'thin people' hate.... because thin people aren't one breed of people that think alike.

There are some people that hate fat people who happen to be thin or fat themselves.
    There are some people who love fat people who happen to be thin or fat themselves.
    There are some people who do not focus on weight and do not care if someone is thin or fat.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    People can be very judgmental. There are thin people who judge overweight people, overweight people who judge thin people, thing people who judge other thin people, and overweight people or judge other overweight people. Too often people spend time worrying about the flaws of others, instead of looking at their own flaws.

It's not fair to say thin people hate fat people. That is too broad of a generalization. We just seem to live in a world where everyone is judged.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    we judge people for race, religion, the area they live in or car they drive, why do we think that we wont be judged for being fat or thin?

^ That's a good answer.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I think, from my perspective, i don't care how much you weigh. I work in a place where there are all types of people of all sizes, shapes and colors. That being said...if you don't dress the part, then i have issues. There was a woman who used to work here who was....let say large to be polite. She would wear shirt that didn't meet her pants....her hairy belly would be hanging out anytime she stood up....yeah that i take issues with. On the flip side though the "skinny / fit" women who come try to come in to work in a tube top.....i don't care how attractive you are...that's got no place in the working environment.

Well now that everyone thinks this 27yr old is 55+ :laugh: I know, i'm an old soul...not hating on size, but atleast dress appropriately.

Thanks

<End Rant>
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options

I don't think that everyone is this judgemental. I have enough to worry about with my own issues, I don't need to focus on other peoples 'faults'. Is it possible that people who are so judgemental have their own insecurities and it makes them feel better to point out other peoples faults? Somehow that makes them feel like they are 'better than' the other person?
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I think it's more fat people hate thin people, then thin people hate fat people(at least on this site).

If a girl is skinny on this site, all the bigger people pile on and say how real women are curvy and bones are for dogs.. which thus makes the thin person feel like crap. Then if a thin person stands up for them selves, it's called hating on the fat people and thus the cycle continues.

In real life though, yes fat people are looked down upon.. not just by skinny people, but by everyone. If you are fat, of course people are going to look you over because of the lazy/slob stigma that is attached to fat people. People may say they don't judge, but they really do.

you could go either way on that one...what came first the curvy women "attacking" skinny women or the skinny women attacking curves? It's a big cycle and neither side is right. Kate Upton was attacked for being too "fat" or "lazy and lardy". Celebrity women are attacked on both sides - for being too thin AND for putting on a few lbs. I think there's hate on both sides, I think personally I'm more offended by the ones targeting larger women because I AM one. When you are overweight, you are associated with just that, "lazy and lardy". When you are too thin...it seems to be associated with trying TOO hard or going to the extreme. Which is better? Typically you are damned if you do, damned if you don't - if you start losing weight people tell you "stop losing weight! You need to eat something!" and if you stay where you are, they make comments about that...so honestly, it doesn't matter what you do, people are going to hate.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options

i agree... i think sometimes when a thinner person seems to keep their weight down effortlessly that it is really hard for some people to deal with. i know i have trouble with this. when i see someone eating whatever, not exercising, and they stay thin, it bothers me a lot more than someone who lost weight but is thin now who shared the same struggles.