Loose v Lose

Options

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I guess it only makes sense that the same people who probably grew up being beaten up daily, stolen from, thrown into trash cans, locked inside lockers, had food thrown on them, etc all because they worked hard at their studies should now be called bullys for correcting grammar. I mean, turn about is fair play since both apparently qualify for the definition of "bully".

Seriously? You did not answer the question of why you feel compelled to correct grammar when it serves no purpose. Why? Bullying, to me, includes any activity you might do that's sole purpose is to make others feel less than you. That would be my definition of a bully. And it can include physical superiority, emotional superiortiy, mental superiority, or intellectual superiority.

Grammar serves no purpose? I am at loathe to see the future of our society because no one seems to think that being correct serves a purpose. Truth does not serve a purpose either, since everyone is always saying that their definition of this and that is what matters, not the actual definition. So let us all throw being correct out the window, forget about absolute truth and make up your own words and definitions. None of it matters anyway, we can all regress ourselves into the dark ages again.

Am I being overly dramatic? Possibly. I am probably also being a bully (according to you) for having higher standards for society as well, especially on a public forum. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion on a definition, then I am entitled to my opinion on incorrect grammar.

No, correcting it serves no purpose on these forums. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion and you can make people feel bad all day if that somehow makes you feel better.

Well thanks, then, it does make me feel better to try strive for a better society that considers education important. I guess you can go ahead and call me a bully, if it makes you feel better. See, we have come to an understanding!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
    this is what I should of said hahah but in the economic class I'm going of my own experience I live somewhere where ther is probly a handful of people going out to work in the morning like I said I don't work but I have tried to get a job and can't so I will be volunteering in my local children's centre until my experience is enough to get a job! And I have got bad grammar but I have 3 as in science and level 1 2 and 3 in business even though I'm such a bad speller it is ad habits with me :)

Find your gifting and go with that. There are many great occupations that do not require great grammar abilities. It will not preclude you from finding success in life.

My gift is a remarkable attention to detail that I like to express by nitpicking grammar, misspellings, and misused homonyms.

Great, then go with that! You are a bully. The world is full of them!

Well, now you lost me on that one. See we were all agreeing and everything.

Correction =/= bullying.

An editor is not a bully. A teacher is not a bully. One who has a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. One who expresses their frustration with misuse of words is not a bully.

No an editor is not a bully. No a teacher if not a bully. A person with a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. Where it crosses the line is when that person, for no good reason, corrects someone. Of course an editor needs to correct. Of course an English teacher needs to correct her students. But this is not a newspaper or a classroom. What is the reason to make this correction? Just because it makes you nuts? So what. All it does is make people not want to post because when they do they get corrected. If you know they mean lose and not loose then why do you feel the need to have to correct them. And by the way, I've worked in the legal field for over 30 years and have to correct the bad grammar of attorneys every single day. Are they stupid? I think not.

And yes I know there are grammar mistakes and punctuation mistakes in the above. And I don't care LOL.
    . Hahahahaha I love you <3 you have OWNED this thread I had it done to me the other day and I felt so little and upset by it but it wasn't even a spelling mistake it was just my accent the way I put words together I got shouted at an called a retard! Hmm not bulling at! people on here have far to much time on there hands an busy body In to people's lives DON'T PUT OTHERS DOWN TO MAKE YOURSELVES LOOK BETTER! Nasty creatures in this world

Ignore the grammar nazis. Post all you want. When push comes to shove it is more important how you treat other people then it is to know when to use loose or lose. Does that person feel better about themselves being around you or somehow like they just are not good enough. I will choose every single time to try and make people feel better. Except for the bullies. They already feel superior.

I am in no way a bully. Nor do I feel superior. I understand where you are coming from, but correcting someone does serve a purpose. Our educational system is failing and is falling further and further behind other nations around the world. Spelling is a foundational skill. Spelling IS important. This is where is starts. When it comes to student performance in literacy, mathematics and science, we aren't even ranked in the top 30 in the world anymore!!! Why? Because basic, foundational skills such as arithmetic and spelling are considered unimportant. I get that people struggle with certain subjects, but there is no excuse to say, "who cares, it doesn't matter." It does matter. Do I walk around correcting people on the street? No. But when I do the hiring of new employees and I see misspelled words on their resume, do I toss it aside? Yes. The people I hire are teachers. If they can't spell, there is no way they are going to be able to teach my students basic grammar, vocabulary and spelling. It's not about being a bully or feeling superior as you say. There is a way to learn how to spell. Even with LD's. Most people just don't care. And that is a problem.

Of course if you are hiring teachers it matters there. It does not matter in these forums where people may already be struggling with self esteem because of weight issues to now make them feel like they can't get help because if they post something their grammar will be attacked. That is not acceptable to me.

Like I said, I get where you are coming from. We are all here for a reason. To be healthier. I have definitely seen people attack on here. For the most part on this thread, however, I don't think people were attacking. Venting frustrations? Absolutely. But if people don't care on a forum, or it doesn't matter, do you think it is any different in real life? That's all I am saying. I'm not here to call people lazy, etc. It's not my place considering I don't know most peoples situations. It's just frustrating to see because if people say it doesn't matter when our country is in an educational tailspin falling further and further down the line, where will things be 10 years from now? It's embarrassing. Again, like I said above though, I do understand where you are coming from.

And I understand where you are coming from as well. I just don't see the point in correcting grammar in these forums. That is all. Not saying grammar is not important. Not saying our educational system is great. Just saying remember why people are on here and if your post doesn't somehow encourange them in their weight loss efforts maybe you should think twice about the post.
  • 19kat55
    Options
    I guess it only makes sense that the same people who probably grew up being beaten up daily, stolen from, thrown into trash cans, locked inside lockers, had food thrown on them, etc all because they worked hard at their studies should now be called bullys for correcting grammar. I mean, turn about is fair play since both apparently qualify for the definition of "bully".

Seriously? You did not answer the question of why you feel compelled to correct grammar when it serves no purpose. Why? Bullying, to me, includes any activity you might do that's sole purpose is to make others feel less than you. That would be my definition of a bully. And it can include physical superiority, emotional superiortiy, mental superiority, or intellectual superiority.

Grammar serves no purpose? I am at loathe to see the future of our society because no one seems to think that being correct serves a purpose. Truth does not serve a purpose either, since everyone is always saying that their definition of this and that is what matters, not the actual definition. So let us all throw being correct out the window, forget about absolute truth and make up your own words and definitions. None of it matters anyway, we can all regress ourselves into the dark ages again.

Am I being overly dramatic? Possibly. I am probably also being a bully (according to you) for having higher standards for society as well, especially on a public forum. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion on a definition, then I am entitled to my opinion on incorrect grammar.

No, correcting it serves no purpose on these forums. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion and you can make people feel bad all day if that somehow makes you feel better.

Well thanks, then, it does make me feel better to try strive for a better society that considers education important. I guess you can go ahead and call me a bully, if it makes you feel better. See, we have come to an understanding!

Indeed!
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    LIKE!
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy as well.
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif
    OMG I LOVE this!!!!!!! And OP...you are correct...drives me nuts, too!!!
  • LaylaJo
    LaylaJo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    2irukv5jpg.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • lindab405
    lindab405 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And while we're at it, "then" and "than" are not the same thing. "Then" implies a relationship in time - I did this, then I did that. "Than" compares two things - I like chocolate more than I like to exercise. :bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Actually, I could care less! (Another misused assortment of words):smile:

YES!! Now that one does drive me crazy. Though I believe while the the misuse is usually the opposite of what they mean, I think very often it is more correct.
  • 19kat55
    Options
    And while we're at it, "then" and "than" are not the same thing. "Then" implies a relationship in time - I did this, then I did that. "Than" compares two things - I like chocolate more than I like to exercise. :bigsmile:

OMG thank you so much, I am eternally grateful!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    To be on MFP is not a classroom for accurate spelling or to give someone a chance to be an editior or teacher. You don't have that right to correct and teach people grammar and put them down just so you feel better. That's a bully lady! Get over yourself! What's the name of someone like that, um, hm, oh yea! Bully! That goes for all you other do gooders out there too, agreeing with her. I bet you guys are bothered with every little thing ANYONE does! Not just on here either!

True that! On Facebook too. People think because I have a degree in English that my grammar has to be perfect 100% of the time...NOT POSSIBLE. One time someone critiqued a post I made on Facebook because I labled a picture "me and ___". I'm like "I didn't think I had to be grammatically correct on FACEBOOK!!

Are you suggesting there are parts of your day and times of your life where you purposely and willingly allow yourself to sound stupider than you actually are? If you know better, why debase yourself? Where is the logic in that?
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    OMG..THANK YOU for posting this!! It's been driving me BATTY!!!

That is all...
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    LMBO!!! So so true!
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's depressing." - Tara, on an episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

I thought that quote was apropros for this thread.

Typos and grammar and spelling errors don't bother me to the extent that they make me pull my hair out or set my teeth on edge, but they do jump out at me. While I agree that the world won't come to an end because some people can't spell, I don't agree that it doesn't matter. If it doesn't matter, then what's the point of schools making everyone take English every single year of their schooling? I was annoyed throughout college because I majored in accounting and still had to take English every year.

I don't go around correcting people, nor do I think I'm "better" than someone who doesn't know English grammar as well as I do. I also know that everything I write isn't perfect, despite my proofreading multiple times. However, I do believe how one communicates, written or verbally, makes an impression.

The grammar Nazi thing works both ways. I tend to use five (and sometimes ten) dollar words in my writing and speech on a regular basis, but I'm not doing it to impress anyone. However, I have had people make fun of that, look at me funny, or ask why I use big words. I know that I think exactly as I speak and there's no artifice in my communication, but it bothers some people just as much as misspelled words do others. You can't please all of the people......
  • teepeetim
    teepeetim Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is the grammar police. The words "loose" and "lose" are not the same. The word LOOSE means "not tightly fixed in place." It is an adjective. The word LOSE means "ceased to have or retain." It is a verb.

If you are talking about how you have decreased your reading on the scale, use the word LOSE (or lost.)

If you are talking about how your clothes fit, use LOOSE.

Thank you for your attention.

Haha, this drives me nuts also!
    Seems to only drive femaleunits nuts. =)

No, not just women.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    To be on MFP is not a classroom for accurate spelling or to give someone a chance to be an editior or teacher. You don't have that right to correct and teach people grammar and put them down just so you feel better. That's a bully lady! Get over yourself! What's the name of someone like that, um, hm, oh yea! Bully! That goes for all you other do gooders out there too, agreeing with her. I bet you guys are bothered with every little thing ANYONE does! Not just on here either!

True that! On Facebook too. People think because I have a degree in English that my grammar has to be perfect 100% of the time...NOT POSSIBLE. One time someone critiqued a post I made on Facebook because I labled a picture "me and ___". I'm like "I didn't think I had to be grammatically correct on FACEBOOK!!

Are you suggesting there are parts of your day and times of your life where you purposely and willingly allow yourself to sound stupider than you actually are? If you know better, why debase yourself? Where is the logic in that?

No that's not what I'm saying. I don't do it on purpose. Sometimes it's hard to be proper 100% of the time, especially when it is the norm to talk a different way to your friends than you would to a coworker, for example. So, if on Facebook it's the norm to "talk" a certain way and I slip, I don't want to be made to feel stupid because, God forbid, I'm a human that makes mistakes from time to time.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying....

1256875135103.gif
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I'm just saying....

1256875135103.gif
    ^^^ This. :noway:
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options

No that's not what I'm saying. I don't do it on purpose. Sometimes it's hard to be proper 100% of the time, especially when it is the norm to talk a different way to your friends than you would to a coworker, for example. So, if on Facebook it's the norm to "talk" a certain way and I slip, I don't want to be made to feel stupid because, God forbid, I'm a human that makes mistakes from time to time.

Oh, ok. Sorry for misunderstanding. At first I was like " :-o! there really are ppl like that?" Totally understandable if it was a mistake, but it sounded like you said you dumb yourself down at times. Which is not cool. I'm all for being yourself--your BEST self--at all times. :)
  • Molly_Maguire
    Options
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's depressing." - Tara, on an episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

I thought that quote was apropros for this thread.

Typos and grammar and spelling errors don't bother me to the extent that they make me pull my hair out or set my teeth on edge, but they do jump out at me. While I agree that the world won't come to an end because some people can't spell, I don't agree that it doesn't matter. If it doesn't matter, then what's the point of schools making everyone take English every single year of their schooling? I was annoyed throughout college because I majored in accounting and still had to take English every year.

I don't go around correcting people, nor do I think I'm "better" than someone who doesn't know English grammar as well as I do. I also know that everything I write isn't perfect, despite my proofreading multiple times. However, I do believe how one communicates, written or verbally, makes an impression.

The grammar Nazi thing works both ways. I tend to use five (and sometimes ten) dollar words in my writing and speech on a regular basis, but I'm not doing it to impress anyone. However, I have had people make fun of that, look at me funny, or ask why I use big words. I know that I think exactly as I speak and there's no artifice in my communication, but it bothers some people just as much as misspelled words do others. You can't please all of the people......

^^ This person has summed it up perfectly. The thread can end, now.
This discussion has been closed.