Loose v Lose

Options

Replies

• jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    "I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's depressing." - Tara, on an episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

I thought that quote was apropros for this thread.

Typos and grammar and spelling errors don't bother me to the extent that they make me pull my hair out or set my teeth on edge, but they do jump out at me. While I agree that the world won't come to an end because some people can't spell, I don't agree that it doesn't matter. If it doesn't matter, then what's the point of schools making everyone take English every single year of their schooling? I was annoyed throughout college because I majored in accounting and still had to take English every year.

I don't go around correcting people, nor do I think I'm "better" than someone who doesn't know English grammar as well as I do. I also know that everything I write isn't perfect, despite my proofreading multiple times. However, I do believe how one communicates, written or verbally, makes an impression.

The grammar Nazi thing works both ways. I tend to use five (and sometimes ten) dollar words in my writing and speech on a regular basis, but I'm not doing it to impress anyone. However, I have had people make fun of that, look at me funny, or ask why I use big words. I know that I think exactly as I speak and there's no artifice in my communication, but it bothers some people just as much as misspelled words do others. You can't please all of the people......

^^ This person has summed it up perfectly. The thread can end, now.

I agree...well said!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I guess it only makes sense that the same people who probably grew up being beaten up daily, stolen from, thrown into trash cans, locked inside lockers, had food thrown on them, etc all because they worked hard at their studies should now be called bullys for correcting grammar. I mean, turn about is fair play since both apparently qualify for the definition of "bully".

Seriously? You did not answer the question of why you feel compelled to correct grammar when it serves no purpose. Why? Bullying, to me, includes any activity you might do that's sole purpose is to make others feel less than you. That would be my definition of a bully. And it can include physical superiority, emotional superiortiy, mental superiority, or intellectual superiority.

Grammar serves no purpose? I am at loathe to see the future of our society because no one seems to think that being correct serves a purpose. Truth does not serve a purpose either, since everyone is always saying that their definition of this and that is what matters, not the actual definition. So let us all throw being correct out the window, forget about absolute truth and make up your own words and definitions. None of it matters anyway, we can all regress ourselves into the dark ages again.

Am I being overly dramatic? Possibly. I am probably also being a bully (according to you) for having higher standards for society as well, especially on a public forum. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion on a definition, then I am entitled to my opinion on incorrect grammar.

No, correcting it serves no purpose on these forums. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion and you can make people feel bad all day if that somehow makes you feel better.

If you had a huge piece of spinach stuck in your teeth, would it be considered bullying to bring it to your attention? No. And do you think I would be pointing out just to "feel better" about myself? No. Should we just let it sit there and let you look gross, or inform you so you can fix it?

edited for typos.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSItIZZLuqemMPl8btyExngbivt75Zk_aHD9WusWv-P4CrTyi8AAQ
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    *pulls out sock puppets and puts em on her hands*

Brawrahrah rah.

"oh raw! bra rah rar loose".

No stupid...rawrawbrar lose!".

Yes. People know...and omg...people make mistakes and/or have bad grammar. The horror.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    this again.....yay. :drinker:
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Loose v. Lose

e.g. Your mom v. Dallas Cowboys.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    eye reeely need to loose wait.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    Loose v. Lose

e.g. Your mom v. Dallas Cowboys.

If you were to specify the Dallas Cowboys defense either would work.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

ewe are two funny
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Honestly, THANK YOU! I have seen this countless times between here and Facebook.. so many times that I, in fact, began to question my own grammatical knowledge and thought "maybe it's a European spelling" or "maybe I have been out of school so long that I'm losing my mind". Seriously.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your just gaining mussels and loosing fat....just don't way yourself so often :laugh:
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This is the grammar police. The words "loose" and "lose" are not the same. The word LOOSE means "not tightly fixed in place." It is an adjective. The word LOSE means "ceased to have or retain." It is a verb.

If you are talking about how you have decreased your reading on the scale, use the word LOSE (or lost.)

If you are talking about how your clothes fit, use LOOSE.

Thank you for your attention.

"like"
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Funny! (But true)
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I guess it only makes sense that the same people who probably grew up being beaten up daily, stolen from, thrown into trash cans, locked inside lockers, had food thrown on them, etc all because they worked hard at their studies should now be called bullys for correcting grammar. I mean, turn about is fair play since both apparently qualify for the definition of "bully".

Seriously? You did not answer the question of why you feel compelled to correct grammar when it serves no purpose. Why? Bullying, to me, includes any activity you might do that's sole purpose is to make others feel less than you. That would be my definition of a bully. And it can include physical superiority, emotional superiortiy, mental superiority, or intellectual superiority.

Grammar serves no purpose? I am at loathe to see the future of our society because no one seems to think that being correct serves a purpose. Truth does not serve a purpose either, since everyone is always saying that their definition of this and that is what matters, not the actual definition. So let us all throw being correct out the window, forget about absolute truth and make up your own words and definitions. None of it matters anyway, we can all regress ourselves into the dark ages again.

Am I being overly dramatic? Possibly. I am probably also being a bully (according to you) for having higher standards for society as well, especially on a public forum. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion on a definition, then I am entitled to my opinion on incorrect grammar.

No, correcting it serves no purpose on these forums. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion and you can make people feel bad all day if that somehow makes you feel better.

If you had a huge piece of spinach stuck in your teeth, would it be considered bullying to bring it to your attention? No. And do you think I would be pointing out just to "feel better" about myself? No. Should we just let it sit there and let you look gross, or inform you so you can fix it?

edited for typos.

Here is the problem as I see it. There are some people that, for whatever reason, struggle with spelling and grammar. They always struggled in school and they still struggle today. More likely than not, attempting to correct their misuse of loose v lose will not make them use the proper term the next time they post, if they do post again. Or perhaps they would be too discouraged to post again. I don't believe pointing it out will "fix it". That is my opinion, unless they want to learn the difference. My point is instead of pointing out they used an improper word, why not congratulate them on a job well done with their weight loss? Truthfully, I love people. And I seem to have a special affection for people that are picked on for silly reasons. I was picked on in school. I know how it feels, and whenever I see it needlessly I will defend that person every single time. So yes, I think grammar is important. I just think people are more important. And I choose to try and make the world a better place by letting people know they matter, they are important, and they are terrific, regardless if they know the difference between lose and loose. That is me, that is my philosophy on life. But I know it's not everyone's philosophy.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    beatingadeadhorsecallme.jpg \m/
  • suckerlove
    Options
    I am glad that I am not the only one that this bothers.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel less than 19kat55 now.
    [/quote]

I have been amused by EVERY post you've made in this thread. Thank you.

Did I just admit that I read through this whole thread? Aw, crud... Oh, well. Now the MFP world knows I'm a geek. Meh.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your just gaining mussels and loosing fat....just don't way yourself so often :laugh:
    eye way myself daly. i jest kant loss.
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    eye way myself daly. i jest kant loss.
    you should try eating negative calorie foods and using your shake weight daily :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.