Loose v Lose

Options

Replies

• 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
    this is what I should of said hahah but in the economic class I'm going of my own experience I live somewhere where ther is probly a handful of people going out to work in the morning like I said I don't work but I have tried to get a job and can't so I will be volunteering in my local children's centre until my experience is enough to get a job! And I have got bad grammar but I have 3 as in science and level 1 2 and 3 in business even though I'm such a bad speller it is ad habits with me :)

Find your gifting and go with that. There are many great occupations that do not require great grammar abilities. It will not preclude you from finding success in life.

My gift is a remarkable attention to detail that I like to express by nitpicking grammar, misspellings, and misused homonyms.

Great, then go with that! You are a bully. The world is full of them!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

It looks like he's beating a dead kangaroo/llama.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

It looks like he's beating a dead kangaroo/llama.

Stop nitpicking. Nobody likes a nitpicker.

*sniff*

:cry:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
    this is what I should of said hahah but in the economic class I'm going of my own experience I live somewhere where ther is probly a handful of people going out to work in the morning like I said I don't work but I have tried to get a job and can't so I will be volunteering in my local children's centre until my experience is enough to get a job! And I have got bad grammar but I have 3 as in science and level 1 2 and 3 in business even though I'm such a bad speller it is ad habits with me :)

Find your gifting and go with that. There are many great occupations that do not require great grammar abilities. It will not preclude you from finding success in life.

My gift is a remarkable attention to detail that I like to express by nitpicking grammar, misspellings, and misused homonyms.

Well, now you lost me on that one. See we were all agreeing and everything.

Correction =/= bullying.

An editor is not a bully. A teacher is not a bully. One who has a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. One who expresses their frustration with misuse of words is not a bully.
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    This is the grammar police. The words "loose" and "lose" are not the same. The word LOOSE means "not tightly fixed in place." It is an adjective. The word LOSE means "ceased to have or retain." It is a verb.

If you are talking about how you have decreased your reading on the scale, use the word LOSE (or lost.)

If you are talking about how your clothes fit, use LOOSE.

Thank you for your attention.

Oh great, thanks for the lesson, what would we have ever done without you?
  • 19kat55
    Options

Correction =/= bullying.

An editor is not a bully. A teacher is not a bully. One who has a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. One who expresses their frustration with misuse of words is not a bully.

No an editor is not a bully. No a teacher if not a bully. A person with a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. Where it crosses the line is when that person, for no good reason, corrects someone. Of course an editor needs to correct. Of course an English teacher needs to correct her students. But this is not a newspaper or a classroom. What is the reason to make this correction? Just because it makes you nuts? So what. All it does is make people not want to post because when they do they get corrected. If you know they mean lose and not loose then why do you feel the need to have to correct them. And by the way, I've worked in the legal field for over 30 years and have to correct the bad grammar of attorneys every single day. Are they stupid? I think not.
  • 19kat55
    Options

Correction =/= bullying.

No an editor is not a bully. No a teacher if not a bully. A person with a proclivity toward attention to detail is not a bully. Where it crosses the line is when that person, for no good reason, corrects someone. Of course an editor needs to correct. Of course an English teacher needs to correct her students. But this is not a newspaper or a classroom. What is the reason to make this correction? Just because it makes you nuts? So what. All it does is make people not want to post because when they do they get corrected. If you know they mean lose and not loose then why do you feel the need to have to correct them. And by the way, I've worked in the legal field for over 30 years and have to correct the bad grammar of attorneys every single day. Are they stupid? I think not.

And yes I know there are grammar mistakes and punctuation mistakes in the above. And I don't care LOL.
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Being French, I always make that mistake!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    This is a war you will loose
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Correction =/= bullying.

I see people posting threads voicing their frustration with this (daily actually) as a general statement, but I rarely see someone correct someone's post specifically so as to embarrass them. Admittedly, I don't read every thread on here, so I may have missed it, but I read a good deal of them. Is it passive aggressive to post a topic about it? Yes. Is it bullying to post a topic about it completely apart from where the mistakes are made? No.

ETA: I do see it when people brag on their grammar and then make grammar mistakes...But I still don't consider that bullying either.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    yup. or their, there and they're. and it's vs its. i was a spelling bee champion in my younger years and this sort of thing drives me bananas!

on a side note, i'm sure i drive people crazy with my lack of use for the caps button. i never type in caps unless i want to EMPHASIZE something. sorry...but at least i spell good! lol!!

(hopefully i spelled everything above correctly! ahahahaha!!)
    I can't resist on this one.

I can spell good too, G-O-O-D.

Oh, you meant you spell WELL.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Interesting leap in logic you have there.

Kindly show me where I have been (or am being) a bully. I hope the evidence is sufficient to warrant your seemingly hypocritical act of labeling me a "bully".
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Seriously.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Oh SO glad I'm not the only OCD one here that grits my teeth every time I see the "loose" for "lose". I've never corrected anyone on it because that just isn't me, but it drives me insane.

Same here!!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    yup. or their, there and they're. and it's vs its. i was a spelling bee champion in my younger years and this sort of thing drives me bananas!

on a side note, i'm sure i drive people crazy with my lack of use for the caps button. i never type in caps unless i want to EMPHASIZE something. sorry...but at least i spell good! lol!!

(hopefully i spelled everything above correctly! ahahahaha!!)
    I can't resist on this one.

I can spell good too, G-O-O-D.

Oh, you meant you spell WELL.

:laugh: :laugh: Sorry but that was funny!!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I think my favorite aspect of threads like this is that the behavior of those attacking the nitpickers almost always seems more inappropriate than the alleged work of the nitpickers themselves.

Or perhaps that is just another of my "gifts"; to realize hypocrisy where others do not.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    This is the grammar police. The words "loose" and "lose" are not the same. The word LOOSE means "not tightly fixed in place." It is an adjective. The word LOSE means "ceased to have or retain." It is a verb.

If you are talking about how you have decreased your reading on the scale, use the word LOSE (or lost.)

Losen up! Your winded way to tight. Its the internet, it ain't no english class.
  • hulkling
    hulkling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One thing that makes me look twice. (it is a curiosity rather than an annoyance) is the American phrase "I could care less".

It isn't a spelling or grammar problem per se, but it just doesn't make sense. Surely it should be "I couldn't care less"? Suggesting you COULD care less means that you at least care a little?

Is it the standard way of saying thing in America or is it just a local phrase or common slang?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Losen up! Your winded way to tight. Its the internet, it ain't no english class.

*twitch*
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Interesting leap in logic you have there.

Kindly show me where I have been (or am being) a bully. I hope the evidence is sufficient to warrant your seemingly hypocritical act of labeling me a "bully".

Agreed. Correcting someone is NOT being a "bully". That's a ridiculous stretch. I am somewhat of a Gramar Nazi myself. There is a big difference between a "typo" (ie: accidentally hitting the wrong key) and actually thinking that the word is spelled differently or used differently than it actually is. I don't get all pissed off if someone tells me I spelled something wrong or misused a word. Although, I want to sound intelligent, not like a dumb *kitten*.
This discussion has been closed.