/sigh
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am totally bothered by this too!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way.

I agree with this. But I also think that when we as a society classify people, it creates discouragement to achieve great heights at whatever is your specialty or gift. People should be encouraged to seek improvement and nourish their gifts despite their circumstance, background, family, etc.
  • hrshygrl00
    hrshygrl00 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear!!
    This is another one of my grammar pet peeves!
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My mom once told me that loose women lose weight the old fashioned way.
    :laugh: That's great!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Count me in as well. Drives me crazy.

I can somewhat understand people confusing "their," "there," and "they're" because they sound the same. Even plural vs. possessive apostrophe abuse. But "loose" and "lose" do not sound the same.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way.

I agree with this. I also think that when we as a society classify people, it creates discouragement to achieve great heights at whatever is your specialty or gift. People should be encouraged to seek improvement and nourish their gifts despite their circumstance, background, family, etc.

Yes exactly. Each person is gifted in a different way. I had one son that struggled and struggled with spelling in school. But guess what, when he was five years old he was tearing things apart and putting them back together. He is brilliant mechanically. IQ is actually quite high. He just cannot spell. So what? Find your gifting and abilities and nourish those. What if everyone had perfect spelling and grammar but could not do difficult math equations? Do you think our bridges and builidings could stand and not fall? Of course not, it takes someone good at math to figure out how much concrete is needed, how deep to make the foundation etc. And more than likely those engineers designing those buildings and bridges are horrible spellers. So what! I've known many a brilliant person that cannot spell to save their own life. So what?
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

^^This all the way!!

Will it ever end? So the heck what if everyone's skills aren't that great!

People from all walks of life are here to make changes and healthier choices; not to be criticized for their lack of grammar skills.

For the grammar police the translation of that is: People from all walks of life are hear too make changes and healthyer chooses; not too be criticized for there lack of grammer skills
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    hhmmmmm
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

^^This all the way!!

Will it ever end? So the heck what if everyone's skills aren't that great!

People from all walks of life are here to make changes and healthier choices; not to be criticized for their lack of grammar skills.

For the grammar police the translation of that is: People from all walks of life are hear too make changes and healthyer chooses; not too be criticized for there lack of grammer skills

^^This.

just relax and have fun people.
  • tdhighfill
    tdhighfill Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    grammarnazi_zpsc5fc5f1c.jpg

Bhaaahahahahahahahah! What drives me crazy is people that feel the need to correct other people's grammar. Who gives a rat's *kitten*?

exactly, but glad you got it off your chest. I'm just on MFP to log and get support - and sometimes I'm on iphone, sometimes laptop...and if I misspell, I just do. sometimes I make a grammar error and don't bother to go back to delete and repost. also on iphone it takes too long for me to use proper sentences - so bhaaahahaha to that too.
  • 19kat55
    Options

Bhaaahahahahahahahah! What drives me crazy is people that feel the need to correct other people's grammar. Who gives a rat's *kitten*?

exactly, but glad you got it off your chest. I'm just on MFP to log and get support - and sometimes I'm on iphone, sometimes laptop...and if I misspell, I just do. sometimes I make a grammar error and don't bother to go back to delete and repost. also on iphone it takes too long for me to use proper sentences - so bhaaahahaha to that too.

^^^^^^ YES, this exactly!
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Seriously guys.. life is too short :tongue:
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • neasha27
    Options
    Exactly!! who cares! This is MFP not English 101....
  • neasha27
    Options

rats-*kitten*.jpg

my sentiments exactly!!!
  • 19kat55
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
    this is what I should of said hahah but in the economic class I'm going of my own experience I live somewhere where ther is probly a handful of people going out to work in the morning like I said I don't work but I have tried to get a job and can't so I will be volunteering in my local children's centre until my experience is enough to get a job! And I have got bad grammar but I have 3 as in science and level 1 2 and 3 in business even though I'm such a bad speller it is ad habits with me :)

Find your gifting and go with that. There are many great occupations that do not require great grammar abilities. It will not preclude you from finding success in life.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I will just say this. I really think it has zero to do with economic class, intellect, or education. Some find English/spelling/grammar very easy and others struggle with it. Because they struggle with it means nothing. They may be brilliant mathamatically or have the ability to paint the most beautiful painting you can only imagine. People have strengths and weaknesses. So what. That's what makes each of us special and have value in our own way. Be grateful you have a great ability with grammar and spelling and don't pick on those who don't. It means nothing. And chances are your correcting them will not make them remember to spell it correctly the next time. And it really does not matter anyway!
    this is what I should of said hahah but in the economic class I'm going of my own experience I live somewhere where ther is probly a handful of people going out to work in the morning like I said I don't work but I have tried to get a job and can't so I will be volunteering in my local children's centre until my experience is enough to get a job! And I have got bad grammar but I have 3 as in science and level 1 2 and 3 in business even though I'm such a bad speller it is ad habits with me :)

Find your gifting and go with that. There are many great occupations that do not require great grammar abilities. It will not preclude you from finding success in life.

My gift is a remarkable attention to detail that I like to express by nitpicking grammar, misspellings, and misused homonyms.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

My gift is a remarkable attention to detail that I like to express by nitpicking grammar, misspellings, and misused homonyms.

J, you exercise your gift quite well! I feel mine is the same way, which is probably why it bothers me so much and I feel the need to correct others :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.