Mrena weight gain??

Options
124»

Replies

• ShutterBugMomof2
    Options
    I had one for about 6 months... gained about 30 pounds off of it. I was trying to lose weight but with the stabbing pain in the abdomen area , it was almost impossible to work out. I had them take it out. Best decision ever. I even still had my periods with it, gained weight, lost all sexual drive and was just miserable. Yup. Everyone is different. if you feel like you want it out do it! Heck yeah it is expensive but it is cheaper than a baby ;-) There are birth controls out there that keep you from gaining a lot of weight. I take Beyaz. It is the only one I have found, for myself, that I don't retain a ton of water from. Of course I do have 2 little ones that help me remind me to take it every day!
  • Itsnic
    Itsnic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "So you're eating a little more, and working out less but yes PLEASE blame the IUD first!"

wow...a little catty, huh? no I actually didn't blame the IUD first, I was just asking people what their experiences have been.

Thank you, (mostly) everyone for your comments. I know birth control affects everyone differently. I am going to listen to what the nurse said and give it another month. Resume my normal routine and see what happens. I really like having it, no periods is just AWESOME so hopefully it will work out. The nurse did say that my weight may just plateau and then start coming back down, so we will see.
  • FindingFit127
    FindingFit127 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    "So you're eating a little more, and working out less but yes PLEASE blame the IUD first!"

wow...a little catty, huh? no I actually didn't blame the IUD first, I was just asking people what their experiences have been.

Thank you, (mostly) everyone for your comments. I know birth control affects everyone differently. I am going to listen to what the nurse said and give it another month. Resume my normal routine and see what happens. I really like having it, no periods is just AWESOME so hopefully it will work out. The nurse did say that my weight may just plateau and then start coming back down, so we will see.

Goodluck!!! Hope you find what works best for ya! :)
  • Itsnic
    Options
    To the poster that said the co-pay covered it. My insurance does not cover any contraception except the pill. I think it is determined by your employer what they want covered. Without insurance the Mirena was extremely expensive. The device and insertion ran about $800. That's why I am not racing back to the gyn to get it removed after only having it for 4 months!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    @ Sabine, did you find it was easier to lose the weight after it was removed?
    I never had problems with my pills, other than forgetting to take them :0 so I am surprised that the hormones in this can have so much of an effect but I have also noticed that I am MUCH, MUCH moodier than usual as well.
    Yup. And my boobs returned to normal, my sex drive picked up, and my moods improved. (About a week after it was removed my mood crashed, like the worst PMS ever, then I was fine and the weight came off.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I gained weight. I don't believe for a minute that the progesterone is "local".

I had mine removed. Best decision I ever made.

Having one inserted was one of the worst decisions.

This. I was actually supposed to have the Paraguard inserted, but my Dr pushed me into Mirena with horror stories about bleeding while I was already IN THE STIRRUPS. Grrr.

Mirena altered my whole body. I'm sure it's great for some, but like any drug our bodies all respond differently.
    With the Mirena in, I actually thought I was going insane. Horrible mood swings, thoughts of hurting people. Feeling nauseous, headaches. I seem to react horribly to BC hormones in general, but this was the worst.

The weight gain was there, but hard to say because I felt so awful and "not myself" that I didn't even try to lose any until after I had it removed.

I've lost 25 pounds since having it removed in May and the "crazy mom" thoughts are gone too. Never doing another hormone BC again. :)
    Wow. That sounds bad. Yeah, I also decided never to do hormonal BC again. And have never regretted my decision.Best thing I did for MY body.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    You said yourself you changed your habits/slacked off. That's a lot more likely to cause weight gain than birth control.

This. The only thing that causes weigh gain is increased calories and decreased activity. Not an IUD.
    I think that vastly oversimplifies our complex bodies.
  • c_manda1
    c_manda1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had the paraguard because the mirena had more hormones and let me tell you...that paraguard is awesome!!!!! I'm a total advocate because of my horrible experiences with multiple birth controls. I would hold out just a little longer and I would get back to my previous routine. You should notice a difference soon. Good luck :)
  • trishajo82
    trishajo82 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The Mirena has been a lifesaver for me!! I've had it in for a little over a month and have had NO adverse side effects.

I used to have horrible debilitating periods after getting off the pill after 13 years -- I literally could not function and would easily go through 7-10 super plus tampons a day!! I got symptoms like the flu. Had to sit with a heating pad on my lap 24/7 -- would get hot/cold sweats - nausea, you name it!

My first "period" since getting the Mirena - I've had to wear a panty liner for about 3 days - That's ALL!!! It's literally been a miracle IUD for me! lol

The insertion did hurt but only for a split moment (I guess when my uterus was dilated). I haven't had any children.

I've lost about 10 lbs since getting it inserted (due to hard work on my part).

I can't say enough good things about it! Wish I would of got it years ago - the reason I was provoked to choose Mirena is bc my insurance covers the device and insertion 100%.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I hated the Mirena, I had it in 7 months and finally got it out a few months ago. I kept waiting for things to get better but they never did. I felt bloated, always was spotting, never knew when my TOM was, got pimples all over the place (which was never that bad), had a hard time losing weight, was extremely angry and moody, nails broke and hair fell out. I can't say enough about how awful that thing was for me, I am just starting to feel normal again, it took about 2 months after I got it out to start feeling better again. Hormones do not do well with me and all you people that don't believe it makes you gain weight, well just because it doesn't for you, doesn't mean it doesn't for others. Some people love it and others hate it but you cannot deny someone elses experience, you are not in their body. I started MFP around the same time as I got it in so I didn't notice any gain but I was very very hungry around TOM. Finally my hubby is getting fixed Friday so I can take the non hormonal IUD out. The non hormonal one doesn't affect me nearly in the same way as the hormonal one and no it is not in my mind. I am sooo happy that thing is out of me.
  • autumn_duo
    autumn_duo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena put in 6 years ago, and had it removed a month ago (I know, I know, it's only supposed to be up there for 5 years) Anyway...

I was a 127 lbs and sized 4 when I had it put it and now when I started MFP 10 days ago I was 177 size ??? A gain of 50 discusting pounds.

I didn't change my work-outs, if anything they were upped.

At times over the 6 years my eating was spot on, other times it was only pretty good., and there were a few short periods of time in there that I snacked on Triskets and wine up until bedtime. I think it was those snacky times that I put on most the weight. But there was not a single thing I could do to lose weight. Believe me, I tried. I tried then as hard as I am now. I saw nutritionists and personal trainers. Nothing I did worked. I just kept on putting on weight. I think it confused other people as much as it confused me, here I was working out 4-5 times a week, and eating well (most of the time) and I was packing on the weight.

There are many other problems I had with the Mirena, my periods stopped (of course I liked not having a period, but come on... how healthy is that??), I had major depression issues, hair loss, joint pain, anger outbursts.

I am so SO SO glad to have it out...It was totally the right move for me. I feel more in control of myself and my emotions....

Good luck

Jen

Since I had it removed 12 days ago I have lost 7 lbs.... The only real difference I have made is making an effort to go to bed earlier. Even though I wasn't snacking at night anymore, I believe the extra sleep is helping.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I didnt get mirena. I was on DEPO for two years gained 60lbs, was depressed feeling all the time, had night sweats...all kinds of stuff. so If you switch to somehting DO NOT Switch to Depo shot.

I lost bone density due to the Depo shot. The nurse tested me for it since according to her it was a super common thing,but the doctor never once mentioned that risk.
  • Itsnic
    Options
    The depo shot was great for me for years..I used it for about 7 years and didn't start gaining weight til the end, but by that point I was reaching 30 and I think your metabolism slows down then anyway...I lost my sex drive and was moody too..course, that could have been due to the 25 pounds I put on too. :(
  • wallacam194
    Options
    I gained only because it was growing an ovarian cyst bigger than a softball! had to have surgery and when they opened me up they found my pelvic and lower abdomen was filled with massive amounts of endometriosis.. now im on injections and hormone therapy that put me into menopause (im only 20, and i now have a whole new level of respect for women in menopause... this.is.awful!) All of this also his causing weight gain but im still sticking with working on losing weight, and it is dropping, but VERY slowly. being a female is wonderful! :laugh: