People with a desk job

Options

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Start taking a lunch away from your desk. When you go to the restroom take the long route - or if you can go to a different floor and get in a flight of stairs too then do it. Then go to the gym on your way home or later in the evening.

When I'm waiting for the printer I will walk laps around the file room where the printer is located if no one else is in there.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    my boss runs up and down the steps twice every time she goes to the bathroom...
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I sit on my duff at a desk but I do get to take a lunch break - I walk about 2.5 - 3 miles in 45 minutes. One of my coworkers saw me doing this and stopped to ask if my truck broke down. Nooo.... but that kind of attitude right there is why we have an obesity problem in america!
  • Rocksgirl27
    Options
    You could park furthest away from the building, take the stairs, take a walk on your lunch or break.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I park as far as I can from the building so I can get the extra walk in. I also walk to talk to coworkers instead of emailing. I have a 5lb dumb bell at my desk to do over head arm lift thingies AND I eat popcorn so I pump those muscles too! Wait what?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I go sleep in my car on my breaks.
  • FitXnX50
    FitXnX50 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You don't leave your desk for lunch? Isn't it illegal to make people work without taking a lunch break?
    I'm glad someone noticed this. Usually, you're choosing not to take a break. If not, your employer is breaking federal labor law.

As someone who too often chooses to work through lunch, seated, I get my workout in the commute - biking as much as possible. Planning it at that time makes it hard to avoid!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I exercise constraint by not telling people to **** off!

You are quite the bully today!!! :laugh:
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The only exercise I have at work is walk from and to the bathroom. :-)
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I hold my breath for 5 minutes per hour
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I get my workout in before I go to work. I make a point of leaving my desk a couple of times a day to walk a loop around the building. If I have to leave my desk for any reason I take the long way or I walk an extra lap.

Try a pedometer or Fitbit - it's a great way to see where you are at and then you can work on creative ways to add more steps.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I take the stairs up and down 5 floors at least once a day and I walk to the train station instead of taking the subway right out front. I also try to get up and walk to the bathroom, kitchen for water, etc at least once an hour.

Since I read a lot for my job (senior tax analyst), I do some of the exercises from this article while I'm reading:
    http://www.forbes.com/2008/09/10/health-office-exercise-forbeslife-cx_cm_0910exercise_slide_2.html?thisSpeed=20000
  • Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    Options
    http://greatist.com/fitness/deskercise-exercise-work/

I have some these posted on my office wall. Some are super easy to do at your desk and I like the humor added in. :smile:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Can you leave your desk for lunch and you choose not to, or you can't leave your desk? I go for a 20-min lunchtime walk almost every day and it helps.

Otherwise I exercise before or after work (stopping at the gym on my way to or from work), or just eat less that day and stick to my lower calorie diet.

I make sure I get up at least once an hour to either go to the water cooler to fill my cup or use the restroom and I'll stand up when doing tasks at my desk sometimes. I'll also occasionally do jumping jacks or wall pushups in the bathroom. It doesn't really burn a lot of calories, but helps get the blood flowing and helps me stay focused on the end goal so I don't eat unhealthy foods at my desk (like cupcakes coworkers bring in).
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    The experts are saying that desk jobs are killer, as in they will most definitely shorten your life to a similar degree as smoking, and there is no way you can make up for that amount of sitting. You can work out before and after, which will help you to feel better and look better, but it makes no difference in the end.

Depressing. I have a desk job.
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. Stairs, bathroom break. Here I could go to the bathroom on the 1st floor and take the stairs...but I take my lunch and go for a walk.

As for the one person who asked if it was illegal, most states aren't required to give lunches or breaks...I know here we give 2 - 15 minute breaks and 1 unpaid 30 minute lunch, but they can take away the breaks if the wanted to, technically.

I use the hour to go walk for a mile + and eat my lunch, work out before work (depending on my schedule) and after work.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone noticed this. Usually, you're choosing not to take a break. If not, your employer is breaking federal labor law.

This isn't true, or atleast not in NH. As long as the employer allows the employee to eat at their desk and can prove that it would be detrimental for the company to allow the employee to leave their work station, then it is legal. I have dealt with this battle and the Department of Labor, twice. Not for me, but people I worked with.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You don't leave your desk for lunch? Isn't it illegal to make people work without taking a lunch break?

Where I worked, we weren't even allowed to choose not to take a break. Breaks were not optional, and we had to stop our work and go clock out. I was lucky and worked across from a beach, so I got to take walks there every day :)
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I exercise constraint by not telling people to **** off!

Love that! :laugh:
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    get some ankle and wrist weights, leg extensions and whatever else i can do...
    also, also the ones where you lift your legs (whilst sitting down) like sit ups...mehh can't explain it !