People with a desk job

Options

Replies

• GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Bathroom breaks? Go to the furthest away bathroom by the most convuluted route possible.
    Going up and down the same stairs is OK as well.

This! I drink tons of water so I always have to go. And I go to the farthest bathroom so that I'm getting a bit of walking in. It's not much but it helps. I also work out when I get home to make sure I get my exercise for the day.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I take some short walks once every two hours. Just for 10-5 minutes. It's not really because I want to exercise, but rather because I find it hard to sit still for too long.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I work your typical 9-5 during the day and usually do not leave my desk, not even for lunch. What do you 9-5ers do to exercise at your desk???

Kegels.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I work 8-5, as well, but I'm able to leave for lunch. I get an hour lunch, so I go home and take my dog out. It gives me a chance to stretch for a little bit. I don't worry about being sedentary..I just get my workouts in at home!
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i work 8-5 and have a 1hr+ drive each way, so I am sitting 10+ hours a day. Work is required to give you breaks, take them! Don't eat at your desk for lunch it is a horrible habit. Use your lunch to exercise a little and take your breaks to walk around. Just my 2 cents
  • siriusalien
    Options
    You don't leave your desk for lunch? Isn't it illegal to make people work without taking a lunch break?

Not when your considered "white collar"
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I go to the gym before or after work.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I love sneaking in exercise when I'm in a restroom alone. I'll do push-up against the stall back wall or by holding the grab bar. I'll alternate my hand placement to target different back, chest, arm and shoulder muscles.I'll do alternating back kicks while washing my hands. Gets the butt working. I'll also do plies while standing at the hand dryer. I can usually get 25 before my hands are dry.Okay, I do feel odd if someone comes in while doing one of these maneuvers, but a girls gotta’ do what a girls gotta’ do.
    :happy:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    nothing while I'm at work, but I walk at lunch and then bust my butt at the gym after supper
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I go to the gym before or after work.

Same. I get up at 4:30am and I'm at the gym by 5am at the latest. I workout til 6:30, then go home and get ready for work.

While at work, I don't do much besides walking to the bathroom once an hour, even if I don't have to go. Gets me away from the computer screen and gets the blood pumping for a couple minutes.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I get up several times a day.. and I do things int he bathroom too.. Jumping Jacks, Squats.. one time I was brave enough to wear gloves and do planks! .. Also walking or biking on my lunch break!
  • thershey
    thershey Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to not take my lunch and work through but I decided that is not healthy I need a little break in the day to walk away!
    I usually go to the bathroom on the first floor, I work on the 2nd floor and I take the longest route possible anytime I have to go downstairs. I also try to go talk to people instead of emailing as much as possible.
    I work out when I get home, I go to a Zumba class 2 days a week and I am doing the C25K app 3 days a week.
    I just try to do what I can when I can.
    Good Luck!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    We have our own business and our data entry lady asked us to move her work station around for a "standing" desk. We have a higher counter in the front office for her to use and a stool-type chair, so we just had to move her computer, etc. to the new station. We were lucky because we pretty much had a setup ready (I had asked her before if she wanted to do this, and she declined). She read the same info that I guess we all are reading, that basically says a desk job will kill you. I am (me, the boss) still stuck at my desk, but I get to come and go as I please and the average time I spend in the office is 6 hours/day.
  • laytoncaroline38
    laytoncaroline38 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evening with high impact cardio work, this is good to release all the days tentions and also to keep me fit :laugh:
  • sandymg1
    sandymg1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the employer doesn't force these people to sit there. I'm in sort of the same situation. I don't have anyone telling me I can't leave my desk, but when I do someone is always looking for me or there is just far too much going on. It's up to me to make sure that I take my breaks, one way or another.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I exercise constraint by not telling people to **** off!

hahaha
  • csuchon4
    Options
    Hmmm...there is a difference between "can't" and "won't". A brisk ten or fifteen minute walk after you eat is very helpful. If you are allowed breaks besides that, take advantage of them!!! Two ten minute breaks and a fifteen minute walk on lunch gets you past the average recommended physical activity for the day which is thirty minutes.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the employer doesn't force these people to sit there. I'm in sort of the same situation. I don't have anyone telling me I can't leave my desk, but when I do someone is always looking for me or there is just far too much going on. It's up to me to make sure that I take my breaks, one way or another.

Yup! No one says I can't leave my desk, but when I do someone is looking for me, or my phone is ringing... the bathroom always provides me a safe haven! LOL ... 25 squats, pee... check voicemail!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I get up and walk around a lot. Stand at desk if I don't need to be typing. Walk up and down stairs instead of taking the lift.
    Make a point of going someplace for lunch even if it's a 10 min wander to get fresh air.

I've got some resistance bands too which I use to do some lower-leg stretching exercise (advised by physio).

No real need to be sedentary with a desk job.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've gotten really good at not snacking during work and planning a healthy lunch.