Tanning: Yay or Nay?

Options
Rogue_Minx
Rogue_Minx Posts: 71 Member
I've been glow-in-the-dark white since I was a small child (not counting the blistering red sunburns from prolonged beach visits) and add being overweight to that and I looked like a beluga whale. However, after losing 35 pounds, building some muscle, and constantly whining about the stubborn stretch marks, my trainer suggested that I try tanning in an artificial environment.

Now, I know the health risks. Being fair skinned, I'm not a moron and I'm well-versed in the woes of tanning and skin cancer. However, I was looking to maybe add a LITTLE bit of color to my skin. Trainer says that having some color will fade the stretch marks a bit and help me to look more toned. But who has the time (with two jobs) to lay out in the sun for a few hours? Besides, it's October and I live in Delaware. Not great tanning weather. :laugh:

I've tried self tanning lotions and had terrible, streaky, orange-Snooki results. But I'm tired of being so icky and pale. Should I give the tanning a go or let the idea fall by the wayside?

Replies

• missymoga
    missymoga Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I will be lurking around this thread. Sick of being casper white but would rather not prematurely age/get skin cancer.
  • I don't see the problem in trying tanning in a tanning salon. Just make sure your skin doesn't get sunburnt and ask for advice!

Another advice; eat lots of carrots or tomatoes. I tan a lot more and deeper when I eat a lot of carotenes!

Oh, and always use good skin care products in advance and afterwards. Make sure your skin is very hydrated! I use skin oils. I'm fortunate enough to be naturally dark-skinned. I tan very easily... :)
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Tanning is a big, fat NAY for me! I'm pale. Such is life.
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    NAY! I am pale as well and never go tanning... I can tell you this your skin will thank you and you will look much younger.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I think a natural sun kissed glow looks good. I ride my bike a lot, so I got pretty tan over the summer. I think a fake bake orange tan looks RIDICULOUS.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Mehhhh I'll stick with my pale self and farmer's tan! :smokin:
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Never, I had a skin cancer scare
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I say Nay, as I love the look of nice fair skin. Bonus if you have freckles. That's all.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I tan right before summer. Helps me avoid crazy tan lines and "headlights"
    Doing it ALL the time would be bad. Occasionally> no big deal to me.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I will be lurking around this thread. Sick of being casper white but would rather not prematurely age/get skin cancer.

I am right there with you - I am Irish and Scottish - and a red head - about as white as ya get. I currently have FREE tanning included with my gym, but refuse to use it...also have skin cancer in my family...
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm an albino (not really, but I do glow in the dark).... embrace it. If you must be tanner, try the slow to tan lotions. Jergens makes one that's REALLY good. And you can get the one for fair skin. I really recommend it. It took me about 10 days to get the full effects, but it was a really nice glow by the end of it.

Or if you can find one in your area, Mystic HD tanning I've really enjoyed. No orange and no streaks (just white patches under my ginormous hooters) but I was really pleased with the results.

Please. Please. I beg you on behalf of all the pale kids, do not fall into the temptation of sunless tanning.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YAY YAY YAY YAY,,, all those pastey white people, i want to colour them with marker! GET YOUR BUTTS OFF THE COMPUTER AND GET SOME VITAMIN D!
  • deadlights
    Options
    A reasonable amount (like 15 mins per week) is beneficial in many ways. I've been doing it for 20 years.
  • Tricia515
    Options
    I have spent a lot of time and money in tanning salons- the best thing I have found is using a spray booth or going in for a custom spray tan application. I as well am fair complected and either burn or when I do get a tan it doesn't last long.. I can get the spray to last about a week. It can get costly if you want to keep it all the time but I usually do it if we are going to be on the lake or special occasion.

If you do decide to spray, do not let them talk you into purchasing a color extending gel...it actually makes the color fade quicker and blotchy- doesn't absorb into your skin evenly. I speak from experience and have talked to a couple other people and had friends try it with the same results!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ignoring the health consequences do you want your skin to look like dried leather by the time you're in your 50s?
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with tanning occasionally. Just be careful and don't overdue it.

It's like anything else, if it's done in moderation it's not so bad. Alcohol causes liver cirrhosis. Does that mean you'll get it if you drink two beers a week, probably not. If you drink 10 beers a night, that might be a different story.
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm an esthetician... NAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    After spending every day of every summer from 5th grade until 12th laying out at the pool, I really do fear tanning. I can also tell you that it doesn't really do very much for stretch marks. I tanned plenty after getting them from pregnancy and could still clearly see them. It's not at all worth it to me.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am really pale, and I tried a really light spray tan last year for my trip to mexico. It looked fine. Not orange at all, and it evened out my skin and made me look more toned. If you try a spray tan at a salon, just go really light. Much better than the booth IMO. Both leave you orange if you overdo it.
  • Cara85K
    Cara85K Posts: 122
    Options
    Nay...I had skin cancer. Going through surgeries and treatments suck a lot more then being pale. Seriously.