Tanning: Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• ScumbagSteve
    ScumbagSteve Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I tan a couple times a day. Why be white when you can be orange!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Nay. I think naturally pale people usually look best pale anyway, their coloring is made for it. Have you tried spray tanning? It might give you a better result than self-tanner (don't know personally never tried).
  • Rogue_Minx
    Rogue_Minx Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Haha. This made me laugh because my mother used to joke about me being a vampire! :laugh:

Seriously, though. I wasn't planning on going crazy and tanning like mad. No, maybe once in a while for less than ten minutes. Surely it can't be THAT bad for your skin that I'll look all leather-like one day. Right?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Never set foot in a tanning bed. I like my nice skin too much. Embrace it.

Pale B!tch For Life! :drinker:

My husband actually prefers me tan I love it high five! Plus you have beautiful skin like a doll :D
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Tanning..NAY mostly because of the cost either per session, some package deal or membership. Plus you must count the cost of lotions. To keep your skin from drying out and get good (not cheeto) color, a decent lotion is at least $35. Oh yea, there is that increased risk of skin cancer and increased aging later in life. But we are all at risk for skin cancer just by spending time in the sun. If you are willing to pay the money, are okay with the risks, then go for it.
  • genefabes
    genefabes Posts: 132
    Options
    www.sttropeztan.com.. available at sephora. it's the holiest of holies if you're going to fake it.

I'm guilty of spending most Sundays at the beach. :-/
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    A few sessions in the tanning bed certainly won't hurt you. However, if you have issues tanning in the sun and burn, there's a good possibility you'll look more like a lobster than a bronze goddess after your tanning session. You can certainly give it a go though. Not sure if it'll help with your stretch marks or not though.

You could always try a spray tan in a salon though? Those tend to result in less orange and streaky tans than at home lotions.
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fair skin and do what I can to protect it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Haha. This made me laugh because my mother used to joke about me being a vampire! :laugh:

Seriously, though. I wasn't planning on going crazy and tanning like mad. No, maybe once in a while for less than ten minutes. Surely it can't be THAT bad for your skin that I'll look all leather-like one day. Right?

Let me put i to you this way I am 27 my sister is 22 She tans 2-3 times a week. She looks way older than I do. She never did before she started tanning
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    OK, so, there are some PORS and CONS about Tanning beds.

I.M.O.: I really dont think they are that much different from being outside IN the sun except for the fact that you can control it better. TAKE IT SLOW and dont try to get tan the first visit. DO NOT GO EVERYDAY! If you take it slow, start at the minimum for the booth and slowly increase. Then, when you get to a desired "color" you back off and only go every so often. I burn before I tan and this actually gives me a better start so I dont burn in the summer.

FOR ME, going to the tanning bed has only had positive results. TO START, I suffer from a mild case of S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and by the end of the winter, I can have TERRIBLE mood swings and day-to-day activities seem to be a bear to get thru. I also have VERY dry skin and during the winter, it gets worse!! Going to the Tanning bed, FOR ME, helps with BOTH of these...it gives me that extra Vitamin D to get me thru the S.A.D. better and, because I am tanning, I moisturize SO MUCH MORE which makes my skin look and feel better.

NOW, mind you, because you have FAIR and PALE skin, you will have to be very careful and watch yourself. BUT, as long as it isnt abused and you take it one visit at a time, I say go for it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    lol agree...and it matter not if I go outside for hours! I freckle... not tan, I get a small amount of color :)

My husband's a ginger and I call him tan when all his freckles run together lol.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I had about 3 years in a row where I went tanning in the Spring to build a base tan before Summer because of weddings and whatnot so I can speak from some experience....

I really hated tanning in the cheapest beds available - they were hot, miserable experiences.
    I really loved tanning in the 2 best beds available - they had fans, AC, music, aromatherapy, misting sprays to keep cool, etc.

I found that with my fair complexion I typically needed to start out my first couple of sessions with 1-2 minutes LESS than the tanning salon suggested, no matter which bed I used - or I would burn. (The nicer beds I started out at 6-7 minutes in a 12 min. max bed instead of the 8-9 suggested.)

I found that for the money I was spending on tanning to look good, I didn't really feel like I looked that much better and instead of going back to tan the 4th year when I didn't have a wedding to prep for, I spent the extra money on a new Juicy Couture bag. I was much happier but I have an obsession with handbags so to each their own. :happy:
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i am outside all the time with SPF 30or higher, reappling often. NAY to a tanning bed NAY to tanning all together. Id rather be pale than faced with skin cancer. I am white I always will be, it sucks to be fair skinned, but it was what I was given. I know the chances for my are much greater to burn!
  • flannelbug
    flannelbug Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find that finding acceptance and love for yourself within is far cheaper and less dangerous than any tanning bed I've found.
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I used to tan to just get a sunkissed glow and I loved it. Then one day I decided I was gonna stop and take better care of my skin and try to reduce premature wrinkling. Then recently my mom just found she has skin cancer. I'm gonna stay away from the tanning beds from here on out. :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I tan a couple months every spring. I'm fair skinned by nature and don't want to burn on vacation or while out riding.
  • pandapwned
    Options
    I work in dermatology.... specifically skin cancer/melanoma. Don't do it! Personally, I do think a slight tan looks better on people, but I see hundreds of patients that are now 50 and look awful, not to mention the 20somethings with advanced skin cancer from tanning. None of them say the tan was worth it.

Will it kill you if you do it occasionally? No, most likely not, but you're already at an increased risk if you're pale and if you used to be sunburned as a kid, you are at a greatly increased risk. Sunburns, especially blistering ones, are one of the biggest risk factors. Even if you never get cancer, removing suspicious moles and burning off the "pre-cancers" most people get leaves scars! Go with gradual tanning lotions.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea to use the newer tanning beds!
    Just build up your time very gradually.
    It's okay to get the slightest bit pink, but don't get burned.
    It's a real boost to the skin, makes vit d, and a great mood boost!

I am NOT a proponant of the idea that sunlight is bad for you.
    Sunburns can be damaging, but those rays are healthy.

Then when you have had enough sun, that's the time to use sunscreen/cover up your skin.
    Also, I understand that you should not soap up your skin in the shower for a period of time (several hours or longer),
    so that the vit d which your skin made gets absorbed into your system.
    Have fun!
    I like to do this in the wintertime.
    BTW I like my skin, it is light, but I tan. I have always tanned in the sun, am 43years old, and i do not look old.
  • lesliethescrivener
    Options
    nay!

tanning might make you look good now, but in a few years, you'll look even older than you really are (think leathery, brown, spotted shoe). besides, i think all shades, from ivory to ebony, are beautiful in their natural state. if you really feel like a tan will boost your confidence though, opt for spray tans.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I love being tan....but it takes up so much time and money....so needless to say, I'm edging toward the 'casper' shade myself :sad: