Would you use a 'unfit' looking personal trainer?

Options

Replies

• kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    We have this question at work -- would you trust a dietician that was overweight?
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would certainly consider it. Here's why.

1. The "unfit" looking trainer might have a health issue that affects their appearance. I have a neice who periodically has to go on steroids to handle Crohn's disease. Makes her look like she's 50 pounds heavier than she is. I wouldn't know if a trainer has a health issue with a similar issue unless I talked to them. The person could have a metabolic issue - they might be doing everything correctly, but sometimes, our bodies aren't always working as they should. That's not a reflection on the trainer.
    2. The trainer might have have previous injuries that prevent them from training the way he/she might have done before. Doesn't mean they don't have the knowledge or the ability to motivate. I know that when I used to judge at martial art tournaments in our area, there was one martial arts teacher who was in a wheelchair due to a car accident which left him a paraplegic. He taught by voice - and some of his students were awesome. It didn't matter that he couldn't even stand up on his own, much less do a spinning crescent kick; what mattered was that he had the knowledge and the ability to transmit the knowledge to his students. Very inspirational too.

To be honest, I would much rather have a trainer who has personally dealt with some personal physical challenges and has a bit of seasoning under their belt, rather than someone who has a ton of theoretical knowledge and assumes that everyone ought to be able to do whatever they ask, without understanding the physical limitations someone might be coming from.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    There are many many athletes who are overweight for their size but have incredible stamina and strength. If they are qualified and certified, I would say it shouldn't matter. But if they are completely overwhelmed doing 5 minutes of cardio, then it's time to find a new one.
  • marcusg23
    Options
    A really big guy... probably not. A few extra pounds? Probably.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in otfiher peoples ;-)

Ask yourself this.. If my house was burning down and an unfit looking fireman came to rescue me would I look at him and say, "No thanks i'll just stay here and burn to death." Stop sterotyping that's is part of the problem of this world. just saying.

That is the crappiest comparison I have ever seen on here I think! Congratulations! Doesn't bare any similarities whatsoever to my original question.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in otfiher peoples ;-)

Ask yourself this.. If my house was burning down and an unfit looking fireman came to rescue me would I look at him and say, "No thanks i'll just stay here and burn to death." Stop sterotyping that's is part of the problem of this world. just saying.

That is the crappiest comparison I have ever seen on here I think! Congratulations! Doesn't bare any similarities whatsoever to my original question.

lol... the corrected version of that analogy would read;

Ask yourself this.. If my house was burning down and an fireman came to rescue me who himself was on fire, would I look at him and say, "Man, i'm not sure if you're going to be able to do a good job helping me"
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    THAT'S DIFFERENT. ARNOLD OUT OF SHAPE CAUSE HE WAS IN OFFICE. NOW THAT HE'S BACK TO HIS MOVIE MAKING, HE BACK IN THE GYM.
    How many of you would jump at the chance to get trained by Arnold even though he's out of shape? It makes no sense to require that a trainer be in shape.

caps_off.jpg

caps_on.jpg
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    sounds dumb, but yes i would. some of the best mechanics drive broken cars, great coaches that never played the sport, excellent doctors that smoke ect
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Unfit looking, yes. Unfit, no.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Unfit looking, yes. Unfit, no.

Perfect and simple.
  • KatKisses
    KatKisses Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I was just pondering the other day, whilst in the gym. We have several PT's at my gym, none of which, if i'm honest look like they practice what they preach so to speak. So would you use a unfit looking personal trainer? I know my view on it, just interested in other peoples ;-)

NOPE! Why would I take advice from an unfit fat person.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Yup! My personal trainer right now is a big girl who LOOKS deceptively out of shape. She kicks my BUTT!!! And she totally understand everything I'm going through. I love her. :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I'm in training to become a Personal Trainer.
    Within saying that, the course I am doing takes a year to complete the certificate to become a CPT so hopefully i should have a damn good body by then.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think trainers are a scam in general.

You can find all your training info and needs on the internet.

Which is fine, but there is nothing like having a person telling you what you are doing wrong when lifting and being able to give you real time feed back.

Plus for someone like me,I'm lazy... and I'd much rather pay someone to do all that **** for me so that when I workout, I don't even have to worry about if what I'm doing is right or wrong, or hitting all muscle goups or w/e.. it's all perfectly packaged and ready to go when I am.

^^^^^^^ needs to be told to more people in my area, who are gonna "try it their-self"
  • jayaprathappsg
    jayaprathappsg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Are most coaches you see on sunday look like they can play football? Being from NY i dont see coughlin, but hey he is arguably one of the best coaches in the country
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I'd want a pt which looks in good shape
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Just to flip this, the trainer I had in mind isn't actually overweight. She's very underweight. Very low body fat, very little muscle. If I'm honest she looks very unhealthy. She certainly doesn't look at the peak of physical fitness.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    i didn't read all the responses except for the first page, and while everyone has valid points, i absolutely would not.
  • mcouturezz
    Options
    I'm not sure.. I'd have to see 1st if they know what they're doing :)
    But if i'd be able to choose a PT.. I'd get myself one that looks like Bob Harper !! YUMMM :P
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that a lot of PT people are former fatties or people still losing it.... they could be on the job training. Don't be so harsh..