10 questions about your WEDDING...

Options

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About 4 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Less than £1500 including the honeymoon

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? UK - For my side, my friend and her little girl , for MrWW's side his cousin, her husband and their kids. Greek - about a dozen people, some I didn't know but were friends of my pal out there

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Hmm... we didn't do favours at the UK wedding, but did them when we had our 'Greek surprise wedding', I made up a bag for each guest containing a lottery ticket, Lovehearts sweets with our name on them, a Ferrero Rocher sweet, back of pork scrathings or Twiglets, a sparkler and a bubble wand, and a heart fridge magnet

5. What season was your wedding in? June/July

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? UK wedding was Monday @ 11am, Greek version was 10 days later on a Thursday around 4pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? The neighbours spilling the beans to my best friend that we'd got married and spoiling the surprise

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? A joint of pork to be cooked in the oven at the local bakery in Greece, WELL worth it!
    pork.jpg

9. What were your colors? I wore blue

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Uhm... everything!

UK Wedding
    wedding2.jpg
    Greek Wedding
    wedding3.jpg
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 3yrs

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? kinda even with budget i worked out deals..

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 250/ 165

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? small picture framesw/our photo and personalized m&m's

5. What season was your wedding in? spring (the weekend after easter- save on flowers)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? saturday 1pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? i ould'nt have been a worrywort about everyone else and have more fun and take it in (maybe also have it video taped)(( have my dad been there he passed away 3yrs. before))

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? honeymoon yes

9. What were your colors? llilac and sliver

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? it wasn't such a dyi it was comparing or putting to hallsagainst eachother to get my party and scored free hot apps. for 170pp :) and because we had a freak snow storm the night before i had to get an extra limo and they upgraded it!!
  • Missanticipated
    Options
    1. 6 months
    2. £8000
    3. We had 60 to the day and over 100 for the night
    4. Black white and silver chocolate heart dragees wrapped in white net tied with a silver bow
    5. Autumn November
    6. Friday 11
    7. I would have used a video camera for guests to leave a message and I would have got a better photographer
    8. Biggest spend was the venue with meal included. It was worth it!
    9. Colours black white and silver
    10. I did quite a lot of DIY I made the invites, name places, favours, button holes, table decorations and the helium balloon displays
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? were engaged over 2 years- didnt plan, just picked a day at random after a friend asked when.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? my underwear that day cost more than my suit (yes Im a chick and wore pants) Actually cost of a city hall wedding? I forget- $30?

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 5 / 5 (too many if you ask me)

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? LOL

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring - not by mistake or design mind you.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Tuesday- 15 minutes before city hall closed.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? shouldve just drove to a neighboring state and done is even quicker then the quickness we did do it in.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? dinner at peter lugars steak house- of course! dinner at the finest steak house is always worth it no matter the occasion.

9. What were your colors? LOLOL

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yea- I diy'd the idea of a wedding and canceled all the over priced, over hyped stress of it all.

*Disclaimer - I hate weddings, think they are silly, a waste of money and rarely are worth it once the party is over. But as always and with everything ~ to each their own.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? about a year

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? About 5,000..about what I wanted to spend

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 100 invited 98 showed up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Homemade candy and chocolates.

5. What season was your wedding in? early spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? friday 7pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have had it just be my husband and I on our honeymoon no wedding just the 2 of us on the beach with a JP from the cruise lines.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? wedding dress and no not worth the money..at the time I was at my heaviest and I felt like a fat white whale.LOL

9. What were your colors? Red

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yes..I made the invites and center peices and hired a friend for a dj.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    1, How long did you plan?
    - Two weeks maybe, sorry family. We really didn't want a huge wedding, but my parents wanted some kind of reception for us.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    -Maybe $1,500. Way more than we planned because we just wanted to go to City Hall and have a sit down dinner with some close family and friends.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up?
    -70 people invited - 55 people showed up, only because of the short notice.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)?
    -I got my husbands favorite candy and my favorite candy (Reese cups and hershey kisses) and we gave those out as favors in little wedding containers we did ourselves.

5. What season was your wedding in?
    -Spring, mid April. Weather was perfect for outdoor pics.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it?
    -2pm on a Friday. Was sad because of the short notice, some people couldn't make it that we really wanted there, but at the reception people kept telling me thank you that our wedding wasn't taking over their whole weekend and how nice it was.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out?
    -As much as I think I would have loved a huge traditional wedding, I actually would have loved to have eloped or like a destination wedding with very few people present. I hate being the center of attention and I would just love to go away with just the two of us.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it?
    -No real splurging at $1,500. Was totally worth the fact that we didn't splurge on the wedding. Looking back on it, weddings are such an outrageous waste of A LOT of money. I really couldn't imagine having spent what I know other people have spent on their wedding.

9. What were your colors?
    -None.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which?
    -I really enjoyed doing the candy favors and that was about it. Ours was EXTREMELY low key. Even for how small and not expensive at all, I still was uncomfortable with the attention I was getting from everyone.
  • Candi8099
    Candi8099 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 1 year

2. How much did you spend? $5-$8K Probably more, cheaper the better

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Destination Vegas wedding 30 (16 in wedding party inclduing minis); 150 at reception once home

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? CD's with 20 songs we picked out

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring (March)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday 6pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? waited a month or two so that it was a bit warmer

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Photographer, absolutely!

9. What were your colors? Black & Red

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Not really. We had a reception 2 months later, on the tables we placed playing cards from Vegas hotels, poker chips, dice, etc as "centerpieces" along with desks of playing cards to keep guests entertained.
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?

Well, I got married twice, so I may have some insight on this stuff ;)

1: First time, about a year. Second time, about six months.
    2. 1st, around $7,000-$8,000. 2nd, about $1,000. The first time, it was much more than I planned. The second time, it was less than I planned, so... That was good :)
    3. 1st, invited 400, about 300 came. 2nd, invited maybe 200, about 150 came.
    4. 1st time, man. I cannot remember. I know there was candy and candles involved. Sorry. 2nd time, we decorated the tables with plants and gave them away to the guests, and also had goodie bags for the (many) children who came.
    5. Both times summer. Easier for people to attend, I think.
    6. 1st, a Saturday afternoon wedding and evening reception. 2nd, a Saturday morning wedding and afternoon reception.
    7. 1st, I would have put more focus on enjoying the guests and getting people dancing and having fun. (I was pretty young and socially awkward then) 2nd, I would have had it catered to take some of the burden off my and my husband's family members so they could enjoy more of it.
    8. 1st, biggest splurge was the $1,200 dress. No, it was not worth it. Years later, resold it for $300 or so but really, what do you do with a custom-fit dress? Nothing at all. 2nd, we did not splurge on anything, but maybe should have :)
    9. 1st, red and white. It was elegant and reflected my taste at the time. 2nd, purple, green, white and little touches of black. It was very summery and pretty and allowed my stepdaughter to choose some colors too :)
    10. The first time, I made all the table decorations by hand and decorated the room with the help of some friends and family. Worth it. Second time, we handmade most things including invitations, decorations and food :) A lot of work but a lot of family and friends chipped in to help, too.

I hope your planning is going well, and if I may offer a little advice; what you'll remember most is the time spent with people you love and not the planning. A wedding is a brief moment in time, so enjoy it, don't fret over the details :) Our culture of the moment makes it very easy to freak out over table settings, catering choices and the perfect photo. Really, that stuff is temporary. What matters most is your spouse and your family. Sometimes that might be saying 'screw it all' and just have a private family ceremony, then head off for a Caribbean vacation instead of planning a big wedding ;)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ours was a quick and dirty. It was about this time 4 years ago that we started talking about it and decided we wanted to get married by the end of the year. So we had about 2 months.

I can't remember exactly, especially since Mom insisted on paying for most of it...somewhere around a grand.

All 18 guests showed up (just close friends and family)

no favors, just corsages for the mothers and my mom took one of the flower arrangements home

Winter

It was on a Saturday, midday/early afternoon

Would want to have a bit more time to plan and have invited a few more people.

Paying for two drinks each. Easy and worth it since it was a small group and no one went overboard

Burgundy and cream/white

Bought my own tea lights and table runner to decorate the table with.

Some folks are going to think this was a white trash wedding but after being part of several friends' fancy weddings, I was not interested in all the hooplah and neither was hubby. That was actually part of the reason why we waited so long to get married (11 years), we didn't want to deal with it! Both of us are thrilled that we're married though, don't get me wrong. We just feel like a happy and successful marriage has absolutely nothing to do with the actual ceremony of getting married. So we had a small party for most of our nearest and dearest and called it good.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About 4 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? about 2k total, which was about what I had planned on.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 25/25

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? No favors or anything like that.

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Night wedding on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing. It was perfect for us. Had it at my parent's house with just friends and family. We said our vows and then just ate and hung out with family.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Nothing was overly big. I spent a lot on flowers because it was something I wanted to be beautiful, and ended up getting a real dress as an accident. Lol. But it was completely worth the look on his face when I came around the corner. :)

9. What were your colors? Didn't really have an official one. Did Fall type colors in the flowers with orange, red, yellow, and purple, and did pumpkins and gourds and stuff in the decorations.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I'm a bit of an artsy fartsy type, so I did everything: arranging the flowers, making the music playlist, icing/decorating the cupcakes, laying out the food table, arranging the chairs, making the wreath for over the fireplace, putting together all of the candles and tea lights for the table and candlelight ceremony, I even made the zombie bride/groom toppers for the cupcakes. It was fun. I didn't really do it to save money, more because I knew what I wanted and didn't trust anyone else to do it for me.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About 6 months

2. How much did you spend? 5k

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Probably 40 invited, 35 attended

4. What did you give out for favors. Little bags of chocolate covered popcorn

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall in Florida, October

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? SATURDAY, 11am on the beach

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The meal and drinks, totally worth it. Also a good photographer.

9. What were your colors? Red and Ivory

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which. Wrapped the favors ourselves
  • rhvandan
    rhvandan Posts: 185
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? For about 9 months.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Total, without honeymoon, was about $16,250

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Invited was about 140, we had 75 guests

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Molded chocolate skulls (married on Dia de Los Muertos

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall- November 1st will be my 10 year anniversary

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Friday evening at 6pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Would not have hired the flakey hairstylist I did... Would have NOT let my hubby go out the night before and get wasted.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The reception place. It was aout $6000 of the budget, but it included facilities, linens, food, cake, the DJ, and bartender (but we had couldn't afford open bar.. guests didn't mind. They probably spent an extra 2-3 grand on booze! Irish families! LOL). YES. It was worth it. They handled everything and it went very smoothly.

9. What were your colors? Cream and Wine

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I made bouquets from silk flowers, we made our centerpieces using sugar skull blanks that we had our wedding party decorate (that was a FUN party!), I made the table markers and place cards (each table was a painting we liked.. The Scream, American Gothic, etc), I made the programs, we programmed our own music, and we have friends who are professional Photographers and Videographers so we got that done quite inexpensively. I also shopped, shopped, shopped for everything! I scoured the internet for unity candles, our guest book, our cake cutter set and goblets (alchemy gothic makes GREAT pewter stuff!)... It was a great day.. Minus some set backs and traffic...
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About a year and half. That's how long I was engaged for.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $6,000, just a little more than planned for.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Invited: 250. Showed: 200.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? n/a

5. What season was your wedding in? Winter

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 3pm, Saturday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Our families scattered after the ceremony, so we didn't get many family pictures. And since the photog then didn't know who was sister, brother, etc. we didn't get many candid pics of them either!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The food and open bar was the most expensive. Totally worth it! Having a good party for your guests trumps having a super expensive dress.

9. What were your colors? Chocolate brown and red.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I did my centerpieces with mason jars and candles. I also did my invites myself.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? about 6 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Less, about $4500 including rings dress, flights... destination wedding (Tulum Mexico)

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 25

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Bamboo fans (w/personalized ribbon), candles and personalized matchbooks

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring (April) but it was HOT in Mexico!

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Tuesday, 3:30 pm (ceremony) and a party LATE into the night

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? My mom and dad couldn't make it, medical issues last minute.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The trip itself, and YES!

9. What were your colors? Aqua blue and black

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Invitations, and yes, worth it!
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? -- 1 year and 4 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Unsure, I was told it was over 20k. Way more than planned.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Invited 93, probably about 60 showed up.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Chocolate kisses wrapped in tulle with a purple ribbon.

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring (April 21st, 2012)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday, at 5:00pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing, it was perfect.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? DJ, and yes. It would have been awkward to use an iPod now that I think about it.

9. What were your colors? Purple, silver and black.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Center pieces were glasses from the thrift store with gems from the dollar store, arbor was handmade by my step-father-in-law, and decorated by my grandmother and her friend with tulle and fake flowers, bouquet was made by my mother with feathers, brooches, and fake flowers, it was super cute. The cake was handmade by my other grandmother, absolutely beautiful. My veil was made by my grandmother's friend, which saved over 50 dollars there. I honestly don't know how much we saved, but all the handmade things made the wedding...it was beautiful, and I couldn't have asked for more help than I had.
  • meggawatt
    meggawatt Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About 6 weeks. We were engaged about 2 years, but didn't really get motivated until then. Yes we're procrastinators!

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $5k for the destination (way too high, we could've done it for $2,500 if we had known better) & $4k for the reception (100 people) upon our return - phenomenal deal IMO.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 125 Invited / 95 Attended

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? I made photo frame gifts. Inserted a wallet size photo of us on the beach just after our "I Do's". The frame was an ornament for Christmas and we see it on everyone's trees every year.

5. What season was your wedding in? Married 11/24 Reception was 12/13

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Monday, mid-day - didn't matter we were on the beach in Jamaica!

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Would've have brought my brother and SIL with us to Jamaica.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? We paid way too much for our room at Sandals. We thought we wanted the butler and all the best Sandals had to offer. No it was not worth it. Would've preferred to have saved that extra $2,500 to have more fun doing excursions and shopping in Jamaica.

9. What were your colors? Purple & Orange with lots of tropical flowers, both for the ceremony and the reception.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yes, I made all the favors & centerpieces myself and did the floral arrangements with my girlfriends. Spent less than $250 on all the flowers and favors.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    6 month planning (and it's worked)

invited 85, have about 65

Biggest splurge honeymoon

overall about $8,000

It's not until next friday so I'll know the rest then
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    4.5 months

$7,500.00 more than planned

125 invited
    75 showed up

Made some almond packages

Summer

1pm Saturday

Not setting up a step-father and daughter dance

beer/wine open bar
    YES

Purples

Just the almonds. Folded them up in a pretty cloth
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 6 Months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $10,000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? None

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Nothing

5. What season was your wedding in? Winter

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday afternoon

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? NOT A THING

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Destination Wedding - Absolutely

9. What were your colors? None

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Nope - Planned the vacation - the wedding was included - the resort took care of everything!!
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 6 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $25,000, more than I planned but mom helped out a bit

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 200 invitations sent out, 120 people showed

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? No favors

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Friday in the afternoon

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Would of picked a venue that was naturally beautiful instead of trying to decorate the ugly parts of the one we chose. Oh and give my mother a bottle of wine before the wedding.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Photographer = $4000. Totally worth every penny. It's the only thing you really have after the day is done.

9. What were your colors? Red and black mostly (hubby was is dress blues)

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Centerpieces, draped the ceiling