10 questions about your WEDDING...

Options

Replies

• TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married in a little over a month in Jamaica ♥ destination wedding!

1. How long did you plan? about a year of planning (we got engaged last August, began looking at things immediately, but didn't begin real decisions untill December)

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? part of our decision to do a destination wedding was the financial end... we are spending about $20,000 total, including my Pnina Tornai gown from Kleinfeld, our welcome dinner, & our honeymoon (i'm seeing many people on here spent a whole lot less than i did, but i'm from norther NJ, right outside of NYC, so expenses here are much higher for the average wedding, being $40-60,000 for more of my friend's average, not over the top weddings, making mine much more fiscally realistic for my fiance & i)

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? we invited about 200 & will have 35 come to Jamaica

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? originally we planned to order the Yankee Candle small tumblers ($15 each) & use them as place cards for each couple, but then decided that wasn't very realistic to travel with between them being glass & kind of heavy, it'd end up being one more thing i'd need to carry onto the plane (future reference for anyone thinking of doing these, Yankee Candle lets you pick any scent and puts your picture on them without an extra charge. ubber cute!) so in the end we decided on making our place card holders a small beachy picture frame and we're giving out starfish bottle openers and 40 pg small beach themed picture album. We are also planning on linen welcome bags and i have a flip flop basket to make my guests more comfortable for the beach ceremony.

5. What season was your wedding in? it will be fall, but in Jamaica, it is between 70-90 degrees that season.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? sunset on a friday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? i wish in hindsight that i'd planned to fly out my own photographer and that i'd anticipated some of my friend's true colors showing

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? my dress. i went to Kleinfeld and had the whole Say Yes to the Dress experience (i wasn't on the show, though i applied baha) & ended up almost doubling my dress budget because i fell in love with a beautiful lace Pnina Tornai ♥ totally worth it.

9. What were your colors? bright pink & tropical

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I made my flip flop basket, welcome bags, and signs for things.
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Two weeks. LOL After two years together, and his paperwork came down that he was going to Iraq in 11 months, we decided to start our family :love:

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? hmmmm $25 for the licence and $75 for the 'ceremony' LOL we opted not to get the $10 video clip/ photo package

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Just us Two!! Puppy was waiting in the car. another Priest was out witness!

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Our dog waited in the car. We happened to have a bag of treats in my purse...does that count?

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall (Oct 31st) DId not realize this date would save us $2,000 :)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Sat. 8 AM (best time to marry in a court house- the feel of a dirty night is Las Vegas)

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Would have waited and invited the families

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Applebees for cocktails right after...so worth it!

9. What were your colors? ummmm green ankle skirt/blue sweater :tongue:

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yes. As you can see the whole 'every girls dream day' was not my ideal day! I married a man I love, because we wanted to commit to eachother! Wouldn't change a thing. IMO NO ONE should do these umpty $1,000's weddings!! If you make it to ten years- then celebrate.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan?
    I am still planning as we speak! The wedding is in Sept. 2013

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    Trying to stay under 10k not includin the rings & honeymoon. Definately turning out to be more than we planned.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up?
    We are having a small wedding with roughly 35-40 people.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)?
    I'm leaning towards packets of cocoa, coffee, teas, cider or a cocktail mixer w/the appropriate drinking vessel per the drink. it'll be that time of the year.

5. What season was your wedding in?
    Fall

6. What time of day and day of the week was it?
    Would like to do a Saturday but may have to go for Sunday as it is cheaper. It will be a split day so the wedding will be around 12n & cocktail/reception will be around 5pm. That's what I hope for anyway.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out?
    The cost.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it?
    Ring/yes because of the particular diamond I want!

9. What were your colors?
    White/Coral/Silver

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which?
    I plan to DIY my own veil/birdcage, boquet/boutonniere, save the dates, invitations & centerpieces to name a few.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Edited to to say that although I am a Say Yes to the Dress and David Tutera junkie, I find weddings to be an overpriced waste of time. It's ONE DAY! I cannot fathom spending tens of thousands of dollars on a wedding for ONE DAY. Commitment should be the focus, not the "show."

Okay, my response is two-fold since the SO and I eloped (E) and few know about it. ^^; But we're planning a reception (RW --> Real Wedding) if that helps.

1, How long did you plan? We were engaged in July 2010; So, two years. Three if you count that next year is when we're actually celebrating it. ^^;

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    RW: Unknown. I don't want to spend more that $1,700. All our money is being saved for our honeymoon to Disney World and a house, both of which we want more.

RW: We're planning on about 20 people. We keep to ourselves, so we don't know a lot of people.

RW: I work with Sculpey clay, so I'm in the process of making little statues of a lion and a cheetah (his favorite animal is a lion; he calls me his "little cheetah.") wearing Mickey Mouse hats since we have a Disney theme. XD In lieu of gifts, we're asking people to make donations to I Want to Go Home Pet Rescue since we're both active in helping them since they rescued a Border Collie we found and couldn't keep because my dog didn't like not having all the attention on her.

RW: Spring right before his birthday or Fall (My FAVORITE season!)

RW: Sunday or Monday depending on when we officially book our Disney trip

E: My best friend would actually answer her phone and be there with us when we got it done originally. ;(

RW: So far? Um... Nope, haven't splurged on anything. I'm cheap.

RW: Pastel purple, pink, green

RW: YES! I couldn't imagine it any other way! I made our cake topper; I'm making the favors; I'm doing our flowers (and I'm using silk flowers since I'm cheap, but once it's over, I'm turning them into something else); and I'm tossing around the idea of making our cake, too. I'm making the invites, too. If I could, I would make my dress... >.>
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? A couple of months.

2. How much did you spend? The price of a marriage certificate, and how much does it cost to rent a tux from Sears?

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? A lot of people from the Fort Lauderdale area.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? My mother in law a ride to the wedding.

5. What season was your wedding in? February.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Had to be there by 6:00pm, on a Wednesday.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing, we had a blast and it didn't costs us an arm and a leg.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? I'd have to go with the tux. Wife was happy I didn't wear shorts.

9. What were your colors? Black and white?

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? We had a reception for those that didn't show up
    to our wedding night a couple of weeks after. I went to Publix and grilled some beef and chicken. I think I saved
    money by cooking myself.

I have some pictures from that night. (Had to pull them from the Zeta web site)

Zeta05.jpg

The Reverend Omelette...

Zeta08.jpg

The Zeta morning crew from 1998.

Zeta10.jpg

Our guests...

Zeta13.jpg

Some other people getting married. (there was about 35 of us)

Zeta09.jpg

The ring leader...

Zeta14.jpg
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    1. About a year.
    2. Around $100,000.
    3. 400 invited, 450-500 showed.
    4. Little bags of Hershey's Kisses.
    5. June.
    6. It was five days long, but the official marriage part was on a Sunday.
    7. Does it matter? It's done!
    8. Splurge? You're kidding, right? See #2.
    9. Multicolored.
    10. Not that I can think of.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? about 2 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? about 2.5k, right on budget

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 100 invited, about 95 showed up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? we had mini photo frames with their place markers, and then with the thankyou cards sent them a picture from the wedding

5. What season was your wedding in? end of summer

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? sunday afternoon

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? would do it on a saturday instead. sunday nights people don't like to stay late

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? we didn't really splurge on much, but we had a cheese cake for the wedding cake and it was well worth it, most wedding cake i've had is terrible and it was amazing. well worth the price increase.

9. What were your colors? white and yellow

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? i have a friend who does flowers so she took care of the flowers. also had a friend just starting a photography business so she did the photos for cheap.

we went with a pretty cheap option, a local "pioneer" village that had the cutest chapel and a an onsite hall for the reception. we did the pictures all there between the ceremony and reception so that saved on transportation and whatnot.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 6 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? 3500.00

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 250/200

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? none

5. What season was your wedding in? Winter

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 6pm Saturday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Have the band play longer than 3 hours

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Yes, it was basically a cocktail party with the wedding in the middle, then dancing and more eating and drinking

9. What were your colors? I wore deep teal. I asked my matron of honor to wear something she would wear again if she insisted on buying something.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Decorated a historic auditorium ourselves, 6' tall brass canleholders, lots of white lillies, other gold accents I can't remember.
  • AngieWpg
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? over a year but changed the plans 6 months prior and re-did everything!

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $3000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 75 / 60

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Picture holders (holds 2-3 pictures, bought from dollar store then painted them and glued on silver words (love/cherish/family/etc). Looked amazing! The best part is when I go to someone's house and see it on their shelf, it has their family photos in it now but I love that it's something they still use.

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 4pm Saturday

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Different maid of honor (long story);

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Caterer & Tent - we had the wedding in our back yard the white tent looked great and we had a caterer come in and serve instead of going with buffett (which is what some people were pushing for). Plus they packaged all the left over food up for us to keep. (The food was so good too!!)

9. What were your colors? Black & Soft Yellow

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Invitations (I actually used Vista Print and then added some embelishments before mailing paid maybe $30), favors (see above), flowers were from Costco and we did the centerpieces, bouquets, etc ourselves, booze/wine (but hired a licenced bartender to come for a few hours to make sure nobody went overboard), No DJ (made playlists and borrowed a good system from a friend), decorations, booked hair and makeup from the local schools (girls graduating in the next year), borrowed fancy cars for free. Saved in every way we could since we were paying for it ourselves and we just bought a house. To us the house and being financially sound was more important than professional stuff for the wedding.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    We got married when I was a freshman at university, so got away with spending almost nothing. Had a civil service at City Hall on a Monday morning (the cheapest time slot), lunchtime reception and and all night student party (beer and chips) at home.

1. How long did you plan? A month or two?

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Around EUR 150.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 40 for the civil ceremony, 25 for the reception for family and close friends, 80 for the student-y party at night.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? None.

5. What season was your wedding in? October.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Morning ceremony. Lunchtime reception for family. Party for friends at night.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Not a thing. My recommendation: duck out while festivities are in full swing to consummate the marriage--that's what you will want to remember about your wedding night, not collapsing exhausted into bed after the last guest is gone.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The rings were about EUR 250 each. It was a great happy day.

9. What were your colors? We both wore black.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? My sister-in-law and a girlfriend catered the reception. Another sister-in-law who was an aspiring film maker took great pictures. We actually made money on the wedding because we got large white goods as gifts (like a new washer and dryer).

Don't spend too much money. Think about what you want to remember about your wedding day and invest in that. It might be the photographer, or having a hotel room on hand to duck out to consumate the marriage, or a vacation with your loved ones. It probably won't be the flowers, the band, or the quality of the cake.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Had 1 year from proposal to wedding date

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? I think we wound up at around $3K-most of it was plane tickets

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? About 50 invited, we had 13 show up--We did a destination Wedding on Maui

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? None

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Sunset on a Friday. DH wanted the date to remain the same as our anniversary of our first date, so we did it.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have paid for a better photographer.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Plane tickets. Yes, it was worth it. I didn't want to spend $12K+ to have a party for a few hours for people we'd probably never see again or rarely. We had our close family there which are the only people we NEEDED there.

9. What were your colors? Blue and white

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Not really. We were doing it on the cheap anyway, so....
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation: do your own makeup. Or if you are going the whole with expense, plan a trial day with the hair and makeup people. I think it is so sad when brides are unrecognizable in their own wedding photos.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 1-2yrs

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? less than 2000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 125 / 90 - fed 83 people

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? none - waste of money and no one missed them

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Thursday at 6:30 (church wedding followed by reception)

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? better dj and dance floor

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? flowers - no (beautiful but I'd go simpler now)

9. What were your colors? navy and orange

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? my aunt made my dress, my bro-in-law catered at his restaurant
  • aylawill
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Just under six months, I think. We got engaged on October 9, 2011, and married on April 8, 2012.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Our budgets was $6500, but I think we spent closer to 10K, not including rings or the honeymoon. My inlaws paid for part of the food.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Invited about 220, and had 175ish show up. I don't remember the exact numbers.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Just scotch mints since we both love them. My mom, sister (maid of honour), and I spent hours making little bags for them with scrapbook paper and stampin' up stamps.

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Easter Sunday. It was scheduled for 1:30PM (reception at 5), but the GUYS were late so it started around 1:45.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Definitely would have remembered to bring my photo list for the photographer! We missed a lot of unique shots that we'll never have another chance to take.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Photography, and it was worth every penny!

9. What were your colors? Moss green, black, and white, with a little bit of brown. We had a rustic theme (not camouflage!), with lots of willow and birch.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? We DIYed the invites, favours, did all the set-up ourselves. My hubby's aunt and a close friend did all the decorating for free. My aunt and cousin did all of our hair and makeup.
    ETA: We also bought our flowers from Costco and my aunt and bridal party stayed up late the night before and made our bouquets, bouts, and corsages.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I'll play...

1, How long did you plan? Didn't really. A couple days?

150 bucks for the license and justice of the peace.

Our parents and 2 friends. All showed except my dad and step mom. So 5

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? None

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Friday afternoon?

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Lol. A few details, yes.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Having the justice of the peace come to his parents house. That cost 50 bucks more than the courthouse

9. What were your colors? None

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Nope
  • mrs_deg1983
    Options

About 6 months

a grand including the honey moon camping.

about 30 showed 50 invited

flowers holding candy

Summer

afternoon

nothing

no big splurge

blue

everything, thanks to my mother in law
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    1. I planned for about 8 months
    2. Total amount spent: Approx. : $6,000.00 My mom paid for my dress which was 1,200.00
    3. Invited: 250 people / Showed up: 200 people
    4. We gave out personalized koozies to everyone. I know of a cheap website if interested. Also spoons with candy in them.
    5. Fall - Very Very busy time. Book your vendors ASAP if you want fall
    6. Wedding Ceremony was at 3pm. Dinner 5pm Dance 6pm on a Saturday
    7. Our unity candle song was cut out after we lit the candle. Was the pastor's idea. Wished I would have spoken up and said no!
    8. I didn't really splurge on anything. I price checked everything. The most expensive was my dress which my mom paid for :)
    9. Deep purple, silver, and rhinestones
    10. We did the plastic spoons filled with chocolates, wrapped in white tule, tied with a ribbon with a little saying "a spoonful of wishes from the Mr. and Mrs."
    Good Luck with Planning!!! Let me know if you need any more tips, I would be glad to share if possible!!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Just over a year.
    A lot! But I came in under the budget I had (was very lucky as my parents footed most of the bill)
    130 invited about 126 turned up.
    Bags of pick and mix sweets.
    Summer.
    Saturday at 3pm.
    Nothing! I had a great day!
    Food for 130 people! Everyone said it was great so definitely worth it.
    Sky blue.
    Made all my invitations, orders of service, name cards and favours.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 5 MONTHS

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? £5,000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 15, WE GOT MARRIED ON A GREEK ISLAND (WE'RE IN THE UK)

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? NONE

5. What season was your wedding in? SUMMER

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? WEDNESDAY 5PM (due to heat)

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? THE SHEER STRESS OF GETTING ALL THE DETAILS IN PLACE FOR GETTING MARRIED IN GREECE

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? MY DRESS I THINK...YES!!

9. What were your colors? NO COLOUR PLANNING

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? ALL THE TIME, ANYTHING HUBBY CAN COPE WITH!!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? DON'T DO IT!

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? DON'T DO IT!

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? DON'T DO IT!

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? DON'T DO IT!

5. What season was your wedding in? DON'T DO IT!

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? DON'T DO IT!!

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? RUN!!!!!

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? DIVORCE!!!!! YES!!!!!

9. What were your colors? DON'T DO IT!!!!

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? DON'T DO IT!!!!!