10 questions about your WEDDING...

Options

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    1. How long did you plan?
    10 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    Roughly $22,000 Canadian - including honeymoon

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up?
    100 - 90

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)?
    Chocolate

5. What season was your wedding in?
    Fall

6. What time of day and day of the week was it?
    Saturday at 2:30pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out?
    Absolutely nothing. I might have gotten a pedicure instead of painting my own toes, though...

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it?
    Open bar - $4000 - totally worth it.

9. What were your colors?
    Ivory, Espresso, Coral.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which?
    Invitations, Place Cards, Seating Chart, Cupcake Stand, Favors.

*** I think they key to a good wedding is good food and an abundance of booze - ours was three years ago and our friends/relatives still tell us we threw an amazing party.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? About 2 weeks

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Around $200

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 3 friends + minister and his wife

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? N/A

5. What season was your wedding in? Summer

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? It was July 18th, sometime in the middle of the day? It was light out.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Less people there

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? $80 for my dress. It looked liked something people take out loans for.

9. What were your colors? I'm not sure what this means.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I made the circlet I wore around my head.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? less than 1 day

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $150

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 0 invited

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? none

5. What season was your wedding in? Winter

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Wednesday morning

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Not a thing, was how we both wanted it

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The booking

9. What were your colors? Can't remember.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Not that I can think of. We caught the bus there
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    1. How long did you plan? 18 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? 15k & we did go over about 25%

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 50 invited/about 45 showed

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? candy apples with personalized tags and photobooth strips :)

5. What season was your wedding in? Fall

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? 3pm on a Sunday (10.10.10 =)

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would've taken on less leading up to the wedding ( I was taking 17 credit semesters and working full time, looking back not sure how I managed) and wouldve gotten to my goal weight first, but I am a stress eater so that's not how it played out! Also I wouldve had an extra day between the wedding & honeymoon departure, that was a stressful scramble to the airport!

8. Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The multi-island French Polynesian Honeymoon cost more than double what we spent on the wedding and it was worth every penny :)

9. What were your colors? ballet slipper pink and antique gold

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Yes- made my own invites and all paper goods, made the favors, DIY'd the bookmark slipcovers for the photobooth, made a custom scrapbook/guestbook for guests to sign and affix the extra copy of their photostrip to, made the cardbox, also did my own hair & makeup :) No regrets!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? about 4 months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? around $800

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? We had over 250 guests, no idea how many we invited.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? No wedding favors

5. What season was your wedding in? it was an early spring wedding, in later half of April

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? ceremony was at 11:00am on a Saturday. We had it early because we didn't want to take up everyone's whole day

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? It was perfect, wouldnt change a thing

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? The cake, which cost us about $300. It was perfect!

9. What were your colors? Black, gray and white.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? We did a lot ourselves. I scrapbook and I put together our wedding invitations. We made designed and printed the wedding programs ourselves. We borrowed a box that we could decorate for people to put our cards in. We did not have a meal or anything, which was part of why we had our wedding so early. It ended just about noon, people were invited to return at 2pm after they had lunch to join us for punch and cake. Someone we knew made wedding cakes and made our cake at such a cheap price as part of our wedding gift. We made the punch Great Value (walmart brand) drink mix (the stuff that is like Crystal Light) and diet Sierra Mist. We had a lot of people at the wedding that were diabetic. My mother in law had a friend of hers make all the wedding flowers as part of our wedding gift.
  • verapamil
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? engaged for 8 years but never started planning anything. Actually "planned" for about 3 weeks

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? less than $1000. More than I planned on. It was originally gonna be "go somewhere nice in the woods with like 2 other people in nice clothes but not fancy clothes, get married, go eat mexican food" and cost basically nothing but then I went wedding dress shopping (at a friend's insistance) and fell in love with a dress.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? Less than 15 invited, about 10 showed up.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? no, I bought bubbles for everyone to blow but forgot them at home.

5. What season was your wedding in? Winter (January)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? It was on a Monday at 1pm. It was MLK day so everyone had the day off and it was also our 9 year dating anniversary.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have taken the "reserved for wedding" paper that was hung up at the gazebo-thingy to save. I got distracted and forgot it. I also had people take pictures with disposable cameras and when I got them developed they were blank.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? my dress. 100,000% yes, I LOVE my dress and have worn it twice since then.

9. What were your colors? they turned into pinks and white just because my dress had those colors and my friend made my bouquet with those colors.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I didn't do anything (not creative at all) but my friend made my bouquet, invitations, maps, did my hair and make up and a million other things that made my wedding great. Her mom also took my wedding pictures awhile afterwards when we realized the disposable cameras were ruined and I had like 10 pictures.
  • kellyjb80
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? engaged 18 months - planned a little along the way

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? I gonna say @ $15K - it was 9 years ago and since I can't even remember what I spent last week its' a rough estimate =)

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 275 invited / 235 showed

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? mini wine bottles

5. What season was your wedding in? fall - October 11th =)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday @ 530

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Would have looked into halls a little more - we reached max capacity

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Food/Alcohol, absolutely whats a wedding with either!

9. What were your colors? Red and Gold

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Table decorations, "fall-themed", leaves, raffia, sticks, berries, etc.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    June 20 at 11:11 am on the beach.

Spent 1200 bucks total. Beach was free.

Planned it in 2 months (We'd been together over a year and living together).

20 people.

Biggest splurge was the flowers. Way worth it :D

Colors were seafoam green and baby blue.

Had reception at our fave Mexican restaurant!

Best day of my life. My marriage is amazing. The wedding was just the gate to get to our life together. Awesome and beautiful day.
  • MidlifeGlowUp
    MidlifeGlowUp Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan?
    About a year.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned?
    I pulled it in for just under 5K

Invited = 75, Showed up = 100

Miniature bottles of champagne and apple cider with our names and wedding date on the label.

Spring

Saturday afternoon/evening

I would paid more for the full service venue.

My dress was the most expensive single item. No, it was absolutely not worth paying so much for a gown I will never wear again.

Ivory and gold. It looked so creamy and rich.

I bagged favors myself.
  • kristamarie91
    kristamarie91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 6 Months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? I spent total probably like 7k, and that was about what we planned maybe a little less.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 60 Invited/ 52 attended

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? I bought HUGE marshmallows, dipped them in dipping chocolate and covered them in different colored candy. (Extremely unhealthy, but I didn't eat them. But both of our families LOVE sugar lol)

5. What season was your wedding in? Spring

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Sunday Ceremony at 3PM and Reception at 4PM

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? My friend who I went to photography school with shot my wedding and did the crappiest job EVER shooting the photots.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? I am not a huge jewelry person, but I saw these earrings that I NEEDED and bought them even though they were ridiculously expensive. Totally worth it though!

9. What were your colors? Lapis for my brides-made dresses, but inside everything was pretty much all spring colors except for the guest book and a few other items

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? I made all of my centerpieces(can't really go into detail about them I'd be here forever) And it was worth it because I saved so much money. Also, I was so stressed out the week before the wedding that I forgot to order a bouquet for myself. I handmade all of the bridesmaids bouquets and the boutonnieres, so I didn't have to order them. I also hand painted the table numbers on canvas board. I made the table cards, invitations, and thank you notes, also the programs(which no one opened so I wouldn't bother!) It was worth doing even though it was a lot of work. I'm probably forgetting a lot of stuff, but I saved a lot of money doing that so I could spend more money on other stuff after the wedding. In my opinion weddings are a waste of money to really go all out unless your really really rich and need something to keep you occupied lol.

EDIT: Also, if you do have it at a venue, most times its cheaper between November-April and on Sundays!
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? It took me about 2 weeks to sort it out

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $5000 (NZ dollars) on the venue, catering, etc.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 15 people are invited. 15 too many in my opinion.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Might give them a ferrero rocher!

5. What season was your wedding in? February (NZ summer)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday, 4pm (otherwise you'll sunburn in about 10 minutes if you have it earlier in the day)

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? We would have eloped like we had originally planned.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? My ring - hell yes.

9. What were your colors? They will just be whatever they are on the day

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Making my own cake.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance for my answers.

For the event that we actually got? About 60 hours.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? About $150. That's rings and the license.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 3 or 4 invited, none showed.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? No guests, no favors!

5. What season was your wedding in? Early fall... September.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Monday at 09:00.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have taken a longer nap afterwards? But really, nothing. Would it have been nice to have had the wedding I dreamed of in the venue we had originally picked with a few friends and family? Yes. But you asked if I'd change how it turned out... given 23 years and 2 kids later... no, I wouldn't change that.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? His ring at $100. Not especially, he didn't wear it for long.

9. What were your colors? Whatever semi-dressy clothes we could fit into.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Nothing...

So here's the story... my intended worked away from home for weeks at a time and we were constantly broke. He came home one Friday night late for a 72 hour break and that night I told him I just didn't feel comfortable spending money on things for our wedding that he might take one look at and say, "That's hideous and will be nowhere near my on my wedding day!" I asked him what he thought we should do about trying to get a wedding together. His answer? "Well... what are you doing Monday?" I was scheduled to work, so I traded away my shift and on Monday morning bought a wedding license and went to see the JP as soon as he got in. We had a nice lunch out, then went home for a nap since he had to be at work at 10:00 that night.

So sorry I have no useful experience to share, I guess I was in a quirky mood when I saw your thread and couldn't help myself!
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Got engaged in Feb and Married in Sept of the same year, so 6months

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? about $5,000. yes, that cheap!

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 50 ish... 20ish showed up. But thats exactly what we planned for seeing as though we lived exactly half way (2,000+ miles) away from both his family and mine.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? We had a candy area filled with my husband and I's favorite candy and chocolate fleur de lis shaped suckers to go. (hand made by my mother)

5. What season was your wedding in? Sept 19th.. so almost fall... but it wasn't "cool" yet.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? It was a Sat, late afternoon ceremony followed by dinner reception

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Cant say id change anything, honestly

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Having the reception at Dave and Busters. It was great. Food was great, the room was head to toe red and wonderful staff.

9. What were your colors? Black and Green. Classic. The guys wore classic, black and white tux, and the ladies wore black dresses with red, pink and green flowers.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? All the flowers and decorations were done by my mother. She was amazing. She use to work in a flower shop so knows what shes doing. No fake flowers either.

HERE ARE PICS OF MY WEDDING>..... I"M VERY HAPPY about how everything turned out, and LOVED everything about our small, special day.

http://picsbypam.com/-/picsbypam/gallery.asp?cat=126416&pID=1&row=5
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? 13 months (but only really worked on it for 5 months)

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? around 5000

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? we invited 40, including some family we knew couldn't make it, 30 showed up

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? Little bags of candy:)

5. What season was your wedding in? Winter

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Evening on a tuesday, but I work in retail, and the husband is a chef, same with most friends, so for almost everyone, it was the equivalent of a friday night.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Nothing

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? Open bar. Very worth it.

9. What were your colors? Royal blue

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Well, my husbands aunt is a floral designer, so she did all the flowers as a wedding present, a friend is a photographer and did all the photography as a present, my brother works for a printer and did the invitations, and we held the wedding and the reception at a hotel that my husband used to work at, and they gave us a huge discount on everything except the alcohol.
  • beyond_beauty87
    beyond_beauty87 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? originally planned just over a year-- the official wedding in 2 weeks due to my mother being sick.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? $500? maybe a bit less.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? we invited close friends and family, anyone that could show up on short notice, i think we had, 30 or ppl

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? candles and flavored jelly beans that were our wedding colors pink and white.

5. What season was your wedding in? fall (september)

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Saturday, 5pm

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? it turned out great for being short notice, most of all my mom was able to be there, if i had to redo it again now that my mother has passed, i think i would go for a destination wedding.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? didnt really have a financial splurge,

9. What were your colors? hot pink and white,

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? decorating, food (with huge help from my husbands aunt and my mother in law, ), favors.
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    1. Planned it a few weeks before. Haha.

2. $100 bucks for the preacher plus costs for the marriage licenses (I don't remember how much it was now).

3. Invited 8 (Immediate family and two close friends only). All eight came. I loved that I didn't have any "fake" people there. Those eight were then and will always be near and dear to my heart. Would have had more except that my husband is from Missouri and I'm from California so none of his family or close friends were able to attend. Our wedding was in Arizona.

4. N/A no favors, but my dad took us all out to lunch afterwards. It was around $20/person (an upscale seafood buffet in Laughlin, Nevada).

5. Fall

6. Sunday morning.

7. I would have been more MYSELF and I would have gone TOTALLY casual. No dress... just a t-shirt and jeans. I hate wearing dresses and always feel uncomfortable in them. My husband rented a tux and he also felt uncomfortable. We both talked about how we wished we had gone casual instead.

8. Haha. Hmm. NO SPLURGES. In our opinion weddings are HUGE waste of money. WHY ON EARTH would ANYONE want to begin their NEW LIFE in DEBT? There are so many more important things to spend money on... cars, houses, furniture, etc. But I get that it's important for some women... just not for this one. :laugh:

9. IDK. I didn't even have flowers or bridesmaids or any of that craziness. My dress was silver and white.

10. Nope. Simple doesn't get any more simple than how we did it. Ha!
  • kelseylou
    kelseylou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1, How long did you plan? Approximately 6 months.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? Around $2,000 - wanted something small.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 30 were invited, 35-40 showed up.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? I gave out glass jars with a turquoise polka dot ribbon wrapped around them, a sunflower on top, and five Jordan almonds inside.

5. What season was your wedding in? End of summer.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? It was on a Monday at 5pm.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? Location for reception. A place opened up that was gorgeous, but I felt it was too late to change it.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? My shoes - blue polka dot heels. But yes, definitely worth it.

9. What were your colors? Turquoise blue and sunflower yellow.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? We actually did a LOT of DIY projects. My best friend and maid of honor made my ring pillow. I made chair and pew bows, the favors, and the cake (which was lovely). She also made the bouquets.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    • Planning took 4-5 months with a planner.

• Spent 10,000 - 13,000.

• We invited about 80, pretty much everyone showed up.

• For favors I gave out engraved bracelets with my bridesmaids names on them and the date of the wedding.

• Springtime.

• We had it in the evening right before dusk outside, then the rehearsal was inside.

• I'd change my wedding dress, it wasn't as 'poofy' as I really wanted.

• I think the photos were our biggest splurge, and yes; they were worth it. We also had an open bar, and that was a favorite.

• Our colors were deep chocolate brown and pastel coral pinkish.

• I had a wedding planner who helped me do the majority of the work, and I didn't do any DIY stuff.
  • justaride08
    Options

I got engaged in March 2008 and Got Married April 2009, so a little over a year!

It was just shy of $5,000. I didn't place a budget but I knew I wanted to be reasonable with the cost and I'm pretty content with that amount

I think we invited about 100 and had about 70.

We made personal Wedding CDs with our fave songs with custom labels! The cool thing is we got to play them at my wedding.

Spring

We got married 4-4 at 4 in the evening! We didn't plan to make it all about the 4's, but that is how it turned out. It was a Saturday.

Honestly, I wouldn't have invited my Dad, as i only did it so I could have my dad there. But our relationship has never been close and it was just awkward.

My biggest splurge was the venue. But it was worth it, it was all inclusive, they even made a cake.

A clover green and a pool blue.

I'm not a big DIY person, and we didn't have pininterest then, but a friend did make my centerpieces.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance for my answers.

For the event that we actually got? About 60 hours.

2. How much did you spend? (sorry if that's personal) Was this more/less than you planned? About $150. That's rings and the license.

3. How many people were invited/ how many showed up? 3 or 4 invited, none showed.

4. What did you give out for favors (if you had them)? No guests, no favors!

5. What season was your wedding in? Early fall... September.

6. What time of day and day of the week was it? Monday at 09:00.

7. 1 thing you would change about the way it turned out? I would have taken a longer nap afterwards? But really, nothing. Would it have been nice to have had the wedding I dreamed of in the venue we had originally picked with a few friends and family? Yes. But you asked if I'd change how it turned out... given 23 years and 2 kids later... no, I wouldn't change that.

8.Biggest splurge (financially)? Was it worth it? His ring at $100. Not especially, he didn't wear it for long.

9. What were your colors? Whatever semi-dressy clothes we could fit into.

10. Did you do any DIY project to save money? If so, which? Nothing...

So here's the story... my intended worked away from home for weeks at a time and we were constantly broke. He came home one Friday night late for a 72 hour break and that night I told him I just didn't feel comfortable spending money on things for our wedding that he might take one look at and say, "That's hideous and will be nowhere near my on my wedding day!" I asked him what he thought we should do about trying to get a wedding together. His answer? "Well... what are you doing Monday?" I was scheduled to work, so I traded away my shift and on Monday morning bought a wedding license and went to see the JP as soon as he got in. We had a nice lunch out, then went home for a nap since he had to be at work at 10:00 that night.

So sorry I have no useful experience to share, I guess I was in a quirky mood when I saw your thread and couldn't help myself!

As the other half of this particular wedding party, I can attest to the fact that it's not the size or expense of the wedding that matters. If you truly love each other, put the time and money you would have spent on the wedding into deepening your relationship!