Winter is coming....walking isn't an option. HELP!!

Options

Replies

• VivaciousVic
    VivaciousVic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I didn't read all of the replies, but I purchased a Treadmill off craigslist for $50. It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done. Also my boss and I walk the garage in my office building. Or you could walk the stair well in your office, if the cold is the main issue. Hope that gives an idea.
  • VivaciousVic
    VivaciousVic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • Jeanetta10
    Jeanetta10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    How about walking during your lunch hour at work? Wear a jacket.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking tapes are really good for inside walking. There are different distances on the tapes fo you can do it as long as you want or as little as you want. I put it on music only because sometimes her constant talking drives me nuts! LOL Good Luck.

^ THIS^ HER WORKOUTS ARE GREAT!
  • Bobbie47952
    Options
    I understand about the walking outside in winter. I have rhumatoid arthritis so the cold, damp air hurts in the winter. I am looking for something too. I do have an exercycle and fitness ball I am trying to work into a routine. In the last few days it has been damp and chilly here so I have walked all over my house to get some exercise. Keep up what you are doing and your spirits. You can do this.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    winter-is-coming-time-to-move-to-miami.jpg

Exactly!!!!
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I grab a heavy coat, a flashlight and a reflective vest and walk my Chihuahua for 2 miles at 5 am when it's still dark out.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and in need of some weight loss! I did pretty good in the summer time because it's light late and I could walk after the kids were taken care of and in bed. I have 2 very busy kids that have activities most every day of the week. I have to have my son to school at 6:30am and I don't get off work until 6pm. By the time I pick everyone up, feed them, and get them in bed, it's usually 9pm. By then it's too late to go out walking, plus it's starting to get cold out.
    I need some ideas on activities I can do to lose some weight. If I'm not exercising, I tend to slack on the eating right too. I'm not very athletic, but I do have a treadmill, which gets sooooo boring!!!

Any ideas?

Its starting to get cold out and get dark? sounds like an excuse. Do you want this or not? Make it happen its your choice. I run in heat, cold, rain, snow, freezing temperatures, Morning noon night Midnight. If you want it you will find a way
  • lucycandoit
    Options
    Hmm, have you ever done a workout video from the comfort of your home?
    that'll be my option #2 when the weather changes :)
  • Denise1102
    Options
    Kansas is the same! I don't think the morning workout would happen with me. I do well just to get out of bed and get everyone where they need to go, including me. I'm going to try some of the You Tube videos tho. And def some shorter times on the treadmill!
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    winter-is-coming-time-to-move-to-miami.jpg

Exactly!!!!

This is also the first thing that came to my mind.

More constructively, I have a suggestion for making the treadmill more bearable. I'm about to reveal the extreme level of my dorkiness here, but in addition to books on tape, I love listening to a free podcast called Stuff You Should Know while I'm on the treadmill. It's free on iTunes. Each episode, the two hosts pick a random topic (usually something from science or history) and just talk about it for 30-45 minutes. They're funny and you end up learning about something you never even thought to be interested in, so you can build up your arsenal of random topics for party conversation while distracting yourself from the boredom of the treadmill.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I walk before work and at lunch every day even in the winter...hiking boots and the right clothing when it is cold/snowy.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have done this before:

Using a step or some other item that would support my weight, while watching TV (sit-com or drama or what have you). Simply watch the show while doing steps at a comfortable yet challenging pace. When a commercial comes on, change it to something faster or more intense (jumping jacks, mountain climbers, pushups, etc.) until the commercial break is over, then back to stepping. Helped me not feel as guilty about watching TV because I was multi-tasking.

I also bought one of those bicycle stands where you can mount your street bike and 'ride' indoors so I could change things up a bit. Again, watched TV at a decent pace, but pushed it into overdrive during commercial breaks for interval training.

LOVE the step idea. Why didn't I think of that?
    Thanks for sharing.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and in need of some weight loss! I did pretty good in the summer time because it's light late and I could walk after the kids were taken care of and in bed. I have 2 very busy kids that have activities most every day of the week. I have to have my son to school at 6:30am and I don't get off work until 6pm. By the time I pick everyone up, feed them, and get them in bed, it's usually 9pm. By then it's too late to go out walking, plus it's starting to get cold out.
    I need some ideas on activities I can do to lose some weight. If I'm not exercising, I tend to slack on the eating right too. I'm not very athletic, but I do have a treadmill, which gets sooooo boring!!!

Any ideas?

get up earlier and go walk/exercise outside BEFORE work?!?!? time change here in about a month and it will be NICe and bright EARLY!!!!.. i personally NEVER liked to exercise in the a.m. b4 mfp.. always a night person!.. but i wanted to start my day healthy/exercise.. and so I started little by little and now I love it and do it daily!!!! and even if you cant fit anymore exercise in you know you are good cuz you did it already! in the a.m. =):bigsmile:
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking tapes are really good for inside walking. There are different distances on the tapes fo you can do it as long as you want or as little as you want. I put it on music only because sometimes her constant talking drives me nuts! LOL Good Luck.

^^^^This I love her workouts. After I did her 3 mile walk I was sore as flip. It felt so good. Invest in some workout videos, get some weights, jump rope, do anything and everything you can to stay active during the winter.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    I run in the pitch dark and in temperatures below freezing and even in snow storms. Get yourself a headlamp and some reflective gear, along with warm clothing and no need to change a thing.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    crank the tunes and dance like no one's watching.....

:flowerforyou:
  • joymelanson
    Options
    I have a game for my Wii called Walk it Out, I really enjoy it and it gets a bit addictive at times. It's a game where every step you take in time to the music is a point and with your points, you buy items to build an island community with trees, shops, cars,streetlights, apartments, constellations in the sky, everything! There are facebook pages for it and if you check it out on Amazon.com and read the reviews or go to youtube, you can see more about it. I use my controller and the nunchuck in my pocket and I either walk,jog, or dance in place and I also have a mini trampoline I bounce on. The game will tell you how many steps you take and how many calories you burned. I think you can use your treadmill as long as it's near the TV. It helped me lose 25lbs over a year ago and now I am trying again.
  • embjojo
    embjojo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the comments (so sorry if someone already said this) but do you have room to jump rope inside? Or in a garage, right outside your house, etc.? You work up a good sweat and jump ropes are cheap. Google jump rope workouts ... I know I saw someone post one on here the other day, too, so you might try a search of the forums.