Tanning

Options

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I don't trust tanning beds. The human skin knows a specific ratio of UVA/UVB rays and from what I understand you don't get that from tanning beds.

The sun is healthy and important for life and there is nothing wrong with spending time out in it - why lay in a bed when you have that huge outdoors. With a little help from the sun our body turns cholesterol into vitamin D (yes "evil" cholesterol that our body actually produces a lot of. We don't absorb most of the cholesterol we eat - not even the same cholesterol).

People protect their skin from the sun by lathering it up with cancer causing chemicals in sunblock. Makes a lot of sense.
    The sun doesn't cause skin cancer. If it did then everyone would get skin cancer. It's an underlying problem.

Since I found Primal Blueprint I rarely get red anymore. I tan nicely. The tan lasts longer. And if I do get some redness it disappears fast. And I have spent an entire day in the sun with no protection.
    I have pale skin (legs are ghost white in the winter), lots of freckles. lots of pink in my skin. My mother is scottish. So many things have changed since Primal Blueprint
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love it as it is 20 minutes I can catch a quick nap without the kids bothering me--TRUE me time:happy:
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I tan regularly. I stay well groomed. I like clothes, cars, shoes, wallets, belts, and watches. #nolie.

No shame either.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Cancer doesn't sound awesome. So... *kitten* that. I do wish I had a TAD more color as I look almost sickly pale... but that isn't worth me baking under lights known to cause cancer. :)
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Phoenix in the 1980s. I've had enough sun exposure and skin damage to last my life and the lives of my daughters'. I am now an avid sunscreen user. I also have the skin of a 40 year old and I'm not even 35 yet. If I could go back in time, I'd be pale as a ghost my whole life so I wouldn't have the wrinkles I have now.
  • ErikaD1979
    ErikaD1979 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Skin cancer survivor here (melanoma: the deadly kind). If you think a tan is nice and makes you feel good, I'm pretty sure a surgery and horrible scar would change your mind. I wish I had my picture with me at work to show you. It's really not worth it.

If I had to do it all over again I would have never stepped foot in a tanning bed or outside for extended period of times without protection.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I used to be an addict :-)

Stopped with the beds dont want to look like a cathers mitt when Im older!

Still safely tan at the pool in the summer tho
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I tan 2x a week starting Feb ending May. Gotta get the Summer base tan. During fall and winter I dye my hair dark and let my skin get pale.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I don't trust tanning beds. The human skin knows a specific ratio of UVA/UVB rays and from what I understand you don't get that from tanning beds.

The sun is healthy and important for life and there is nothing wrong with spending time out in it - why lay in a bed when you have that huge outdoors. With a little help from the sun our body turns cholesterol into vitamin D (yes "evil" cholesterol that our body actually produces a lot of. We don't absorb most of the cholesterol we eat - not even the same cholesterol).

People protect their skin from the sun by lathering it up with cancer causing chemicals in sunblock. Makes a lot of sense.
    The sun doesn't cause skin cancer. If it did then everyone would get skin cancer. It's an underlying problem.

Since I found Primal Blueprint I rarely get red anymore. I tan nicely. The tan lasts longer. And if I do get some redness it disappears fast. And I have spent an entire day in the sun with no protection.
    I have pale skin (legs are ghost white in the winter), lots of freckles. lots of pink in my skin. My mother is scottish. So many things have changed since Primal Blueprint

I think I have a slight girl crush on you for this response
  • embercakez
    Options
    I just roll around in doritos.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    so I tan 2 to 3 times a week I have to say I love it the lotion the warm skin and being tan all year.

What's your feeling on the subject

That you probably should have kept this information to yourself.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Skin cancer survivor here (melanoma: the deadly kind). If you think a tan is nice and makes you feel good, I'm pretty sure a surgery and horrible scar would change your mind. I wish I had my picture with me at work to show you. It's really not worth it.

If I had to do it all over again I would have never stepped foot in a tanning bed or outside for extended period of times without protection.

Thank you! Someone with sense! It's always so easy to say "Eh... it'll never happen to me!". Come on... seriously?
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am a red head. I look odd with a tan! I am not a fan of fake tan either, I can smell it at 10 paces!
  • guapogringo
    Options
    I would take a spray any day over cancer!
  • XWarzonePrincessX
    Options
    I fake bake. All the glory of nice tan skin now, no crows feet later. :) plus, it can be all over and year round easily!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    <
    Half-ginger ... enough said.

Yup. I'm a redhead. Pale and glow in the dark. I don't tan... I burn. No thank you. I respect myself too much to give myself cancer and looking red as a lobster isn't a flattering look.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

I don't care who you are, thats funny.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options

hahahaha omg I love you.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I lived in Alaska for nearly 20 years, starting when I was in my early 20s and started tanning when I was about 27, when the tanning beds first came out. It was nice to feel and look "healthy", but now, the skin on my face is broken down with fine wrinkles, a few spots and a few little scaly patches. The older women in my family all have very nice smooth skin, except for me. I am 100% positive it's from all those years of tanning. I am lucky I don't have skin cancer, but you never know. It can happen any time later on. My advice would be to use a tanning lotion or gel. It may seem like a long time off, but when you get there.. you "will" be sorry for your disregard for your body.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I would like to know where you get this information from??? As I have never heard anything or read anything that supports this story?