Tanning

Options

Replies

• fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I'm glow in the dark. No. I don't tan. I prefer not to have holes in my face from skin cancer removal. I already had a hole in my back from that, thanks.

haha I love it! My daughter and I always say we would rather be white as ghosts than have premature aging of the skin or worse have melanoma. My dad and my FIL have both had melanoma. They both loved to tan and are outside a lot. So NO Thank you!!!

I have a friend who I just found out is 10 years younger than me. I thought she was at least 15 years older. She tans at least twice a week. I have leather hand bags that look nicer than her skin. ewwwww
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I almost never purposefully tanned most of my life. I have always had super milky porcelain type skin and I burned like crazy. In my early 20's I was diagnosed with psoriasis so I started going to the dermatologist for photo therapy. That worked amazing. Its expensive -90.00 a week so I supplement with tanning beds sometimes even though they are not as good. The docs told me that they couldn't technically recommend doing that for legal reasons but a lot of people find it beneficial. I tan a few times a week. I love the way it makes my skin glow but even more so I love having super clear skin from it.

So, I'm for it but not in excessive amounts and when the benefits outweigh the risks.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I just roll around in doritos.
    lol or cheese puffs :laugh:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I used to love tanning...then a lady here died of melanoma after multiple surgeries on her skin and brain. :cry:

She left behind 5 kids.

I think about all of the horrible sunburns I have had over the years and my Granny having skin cancer on her face and I get scared. I don't want to leave behind my family just to be tan.

So nope, I don't but sometimes I miss the warmth of the tanning bed. :sad:
  • Chopper88
    Options
    If it makes you feel good/better about yourself, by all means tan away!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

EmoticonLaugh.gif

that-nutella-tan.jpg
  • mavrick7
    mavrick7 Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

EmoticonLaugh.gif

that-nutella-tan.jpg

That is hilarious! Tanning on a budget?

Living an active, outdoor life style leads to better skin color. I jog on the beach everyday and always use a healthy amount of sunscreen. For me, I jog to stay in shape, not to tan my skin.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Not a fan. Born blonde with very fair skin.....no tanning for this girl:bigsmile:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    fan. I hate tan lines so the tan I get from being outside isn't my favorite. I got about 2 or 3 times a month.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I used to tanning ALL the time a few years ago. I got really good color.
    However, that was a few years ago. Now I'm pale as hell and am seriously considering hitting the tanning bed again.

But I'm planning on waiting until I reach my goal weight, then getting tan. The whole skin cancer, wrinkles, etc doesn't sound like fun, but oh well.

Plus I just got a new tattoo last weekend. Couldn't go now even if I wanted to.
  • ScumbagSteve
    ScumbagSteve Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Y'all are tannerific
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    My gym has a tanning plan that can be added to any membership. I've been thinking of doing it. Here's a little of what I have read on the subject:

http://paleoperiodical.com/2011/06/23/why-im-hitting-the-tanning-bed/

http://hunter-gatherer.com/blog/why-i-went-tanning-salon-winter
  • dValkyrie
    dValkyrie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I used to like the heat from tanning until I discovered the sauna!
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish so tanning is difficult all I do is burn and peel but, the tan beds give me a great tan but, have only used one maybe 5 summers my whole life(use if I'm going on vacation to Mexico, Hawaii, Bahama's etc. ). If I didn' get a base tan I would never be able to leave the hotel.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    so I tan 2 to 3 times a week I have to say I love it the lotion the warm skin and being tan all year.

What's your feeling on the subject

My feeling is that is a terrible idea and you are putting yourself at a severely high risk for life long health problems or even death just to look "pretty". Very dumb.

Enjoy the read
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/04/tanning-beds-cancer_n_1941023.html
  • Cougarita65
    Cougarita65 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love to be tan, in the 70's when I was young, I burnt myself many times & have had skin cancer in a couple of spots already.
    I used sun screen, but still burn here & there. I use spray tan too. I love the beach & the sun so much, it's my favorite place to be.
    I'm sure I will be a complete prune very shortly...ha ha ha
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    so I tan 2 to 3 times a week I have to say I love it the lotion the warm skin and being tan all year.

What's your feeling on the subject

Tanning booths are for chicks bro
    Like mini coopers

Why do you think I go tanning a few times a week :bigsmile:
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people think being tan looks good. You are burning and damaging your skin - causing wrinkles, freckles, skin cancer, etc. My father died of skin cancer and it totally could have been avoided.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    No.

Just no.

I didn't read the stats, and understand that skin cancer is(avoidable) treatable. But the whole idea of tanning beds freak me out. *shudders*