Keeps breaking chairs. What should I do?

Options
1235»

Replies

• diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys! I had got myself into a real state about this one! We have lots of larger people who come play games at our shop, some are ''comic book guy'' some are beefy coppers and even a few rugby players, all our chairs are rated for heaver people and no one else has ever broken a chair, let alone 4!

Your replies have made me laugh so much, thanks for that!

Here's what I've done,

Big bad *kitten* sign in gaming rooms saying

''This club is for everyone, and everyone is welcome. If you break anything, (cup, glass, chair, table) please inform us STRAIGHT AWAY, this is for everyone's safety.

In order to keep gaming fees low, we expect any breakages to be paid for, or replaces for like.''

I have also got 2 big heavy duty office chairs!

Thanks for the laughs guys!!! xxx
  • njohnson1966
    njohnson1966 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This perhaps? CustomStumpChair_zps6a12b5b3.jpg
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    lol! Awesome! Looks like papa bears chair!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I suggested the loveseat/sofa only because sometimes you have to find ways to cut costs. Unfortunately, it's not always that easy to run out and buy an expensive piece of furniture if you're starting a business and I wasn't sure if he was in the financial state to spend the big dollars.

If you're talking about being above 300 pounds...that's a very different animal. I'm leaning toward getting a really low oriental table that everyone can gather around and having everyone sit on the floor Indian style. It could actually be sorta fun. Oh, I did find a nice gem but was worried that would be considered advertising so I'm going to email you directly. :laugh:
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Nice big bean bag chair.

^ This, and introduce him to MFP.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You guys have got to see this beanbag chair! Isn't this wild?

safe_image.php?d=AQDTEiHkW9vm_2lB&url=+http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41bnXNohtRL.jpg+

ps_8DM_twill_hunter_m.jpg

I want one!
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Poor guy. At least he leaves the house.
    I would hit some garage sales or second hand stores to look for some sturdier alternatives to keep on hand to offer up for him, maybe he's unaccustomed to people trying to accomidate him. Err on the side of kindness.
  • fourstubbs
    fourstubbs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nice big bean bag chair.

This is a great idea!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    im sure someone has mentioned it but if he breaks a chair and gets hurt he can sue you. and no matter how much you know the guy and think he'd never sue...that all goes out the window when something happens.

so i would pull him aside...explain whats going on...and tell him he needs to bring his own chair.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Wow No wonder this country is the way it is. We coddle everyone and don't want to hurt their feelings.

If he's too heavy for the chairs, then tell him to stop sitting in them. If I was too heavy for a chair (if i broke 4 chairs), I would think DANG I am heavy. Maybe I shouldn't sit in those chairs.

But how is it a size-ist? (what a word). The man is BREAKING CHAIRS. He isn't being discriminated against. Not like the guy says, No fat men allowed.

I say, next time the man comes in, say nothing. If he breaks a chair then bring it up. Tell him you have to charge him for the chair. The first 4 were "on the house".