Mean Girls @ the Gym

Options

Replies

• Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Let me make this very clear..I wouldnt have posted this if I thought it was in my head. There are 6 girls in this boot camp and I'm the 6th person. When I come in the room they giggle and roll their eyes. So I know for sure its directed at me, so believe me when I say its not in my head. I know bullsh!t when I see it.
    It's probably all in your head. They have never said anything mean to you, they have laughed and "kind" of ignored your questions. You can't even be sure they were laughing at you.

This is a the problem with women. I honestly doubt they are all over there, singling you out, and making fun of you. They are probably just laughing and having a good time together.

Have you tried talking to them? Introducing yourself?
  • karmahunger
    karmahunger Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Go up to them and say, in a fake nice voice, but loudly, "Girls, someone had to tell you. Your pants/shorts give you MAJOR camel toe."
  • nofailureallowed
    Options
    LOL!
    Go up to them and say, in a fake nice voice, but loudly, "Girls, someone had to tell you. Your pants/shorts give you MAJOR camel toe."
  • sunnybug90
    Options
    When someone is that way I usually feel sorry for them because deep deep is someone who is extremely insecure and they can't feel better about themselves unless they're tearing down another person.

The second a person starts cutting someone down I automatically assume you're insecure or have some kind of self issue going on. Its just a huge red flag. Granted there are just really nasty people out there, but the majority of the time there is something behind their ****ty attitude.

Chin up and ignore them. If you want to really get at them kill them with kindness and show no interest in them and work your butt off to show they aren't going to break you down. :flowerforyou: you're there to better yourself.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    High school fooey! Jr. High! Some folks never grow up. They're obviously NOT beautiful on the inside.
    You do nothing but feel sorry for them because they're obviously not past a high school-level mentality.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'd love to say that you should ignore them, but sometimes people are surprised and taken aback when you actually say something. You should come up with something really sarcastic to say to them and I bet they won't even know what hit them! BAHAHAHAHA.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Let me make this very clear..I wouldnt have posted this if I thought it was in my head. There are 6 girls in this boot camp and I'm the 6th person. When I come in the room they giggle and roll their eyes. So I know for sure its directed at me, so believe me when I say its not in my head. I know bullsh!t when I see it. At first I thought it was because they make it very clear they have a crush or something on the trainer and he was now helping me...but that doesnt matter. These "women" are in their 30's and there is NO reason to be mean and rude.

I'm curious sweets, do you have any idea WHY? like is it weight, style, race, age, newbie, or mystery? Not that it means its fixable, but sometimes you can learn more about ppl if you can pin point the WHYS. Though to me, esp for 30s, it sounds like its going to be a hard fix. Maybe try friending one of them, one that seems nicer. Maybe the others would warm up. Assuming you even want to be friends with them! (I would prob not)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    why are women like this? at the gym...at work? every girlfriend i have ever had has had issues with women at work. this almost never happens with guys.
  • LiviLou2011
    LiviLou2011 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    What you need to do, is not worry about them, maybe ignore them, im serious boost urself up, walk around like you own that place, workout hard..show them what a real woman is!! a group of girls huddling around each other giggling sounds immature to me, they need support from each other because they are probably weak, thats why they make fun of people to make themselves feel better.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Stay positive, use it as motivation. Nothing would shut them up if you keep working hard and some day come in looking way better than them. Always use positive motivation even in with a negative. Losing weight is mostly mental, conquered that and you will win.

^^ and what he said :flowerforyou:

I agree with both of you lol!!
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that this has happened. It seems to me that anyone who steps foot in the gym should get a giant pat on the back for even showing up.

In these sorts of situations, I play dumb. I'd ask, "Hey, what's so funny?" I suspect that they'll be embarrassed that someone called them out on their stuff with an innocent question. And if they answer with some sort of catty response..."Hmm. I would think that someone should be lauded for even trying. I guess not. That' s unfortunate."

You get a big pat on the back. They should get a swift kick in the butt. :)
  • nofailureallowed
    Options
    I truly hate pulling the race card, but I am the ONLY black women in this whole damn gym! I knew that when I signed up but never thought twice about it. Its a very country club style gym. I refuse to believe it has anything to do with race, if it is...that just sucks.
    Let me make this very clear..I wouldnt have posted this if I thought it was in my head. There are 6 girls in this boot camp and I'm the 6th person. When I come in the room they giggle and roll their eyes. So I know for sure its directed at me, so believe me when I say its not in my head. I know bullsh!t when I see it. At first I thought it was because they make it very clear they have a crush or something on the trainer and he was now helping me...but that doesnt matter. These "women" are in their 30's and there is NO reason to be mean and rude.

I'm curious sweets, do you have any idea WHY? like is it weight, style, race, age, newbie, or mystery? Not that it means its fixable, but sometimes you can learn more about ppl if you can pin point the WHYS. Though to me, esp for 30s, it sounds like its going to be a hard fix. Maybe try friending one of them, one that seems nicer. Maybe the others would warm up. Assuming you even want to be friends with them! (I would prob not)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I had another thought. If your trainer is a cute guy, slip him a twenty to hit on you every session and snub the little tramps.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    The next time one of them/all of them giggle, ask them "So, what's the joke?" and take it from there....
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Actually I want to change my response. Just murder them.
    Better have a good place to hide the bodies first!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I truly hate pulling the race card, but I am the ONLY black women in this whole damn gym! I knew that when I signed up but never thought twice about it. Its a very country club style gym. I refuse to believe it has anything to do with race, if it is...that just sucks.

i have encountered racist white ppl almost every day. I'm white (mixed with d@mn near everything though) so they assume its okay to talk like that (which i address SWIFTLY, i live in a city area and love having friends of ALL KINDS) i was afraid it could be like that, its one of the reasons i asked.

Now that might not be the reason at all. it could be your a newbie. It could be weight, I know an ex anne (sis's bud) who picks at fat girls and thin girls. its insecurities usually. esp if your a stranger to them.

hun my advice, show them what kinda character you got. make them look bad! cause sweety they are the ones that are bad. don't let them make you feel it.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I couldn't ignore this kind of behavior. If they are laughing, I would just stand in their circle and ask them what's so funny. Or when I need help and if it's delaying their time, I would look over and apologize and try to talk to them all later to see what the deal is. I am not super confrontational, but I will act like I don't know what's going on and say hello. That always remedies things, and people realize I'm nice and quit being jerks.
    With that being said, most of the time when I'm at the gym, I get in and get out and I don't care if I haven't shaved in a week and my pits are like I have Buckwheat in a headlock.... I started out at 240 lbs and I didn't give a crap at the looks I would get when I went into yoga or spinning class. I'm still the same way. But when either men creep me out or women ogle me, I tend to try and make conversation with them..
    I do have the capacity to pull out my ghetto card though. It's right in my pocket, just waiting for someone to straight up be an *kitten* to my face.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think the more confident you can be, the more comfortable you are in your own skin...the less you will feel this way.

I probably feel this way 80% of the time, and when I take a second to think it through and try to understand what's going on, I realize they probably don't even know I exist. You know what I mean? I'm not really saying they are SO MEAN they don't know I exist, but they are probably just totally oblivious to other people when they're with each other. I know when I'm with a group of girl friends we always get caught up in laughter and stupid stuff (no matter how inappropriate it may be in the moment.)

I tend to overreact when I'm the "odd man out" only because I FEEL that way to begin with. I feel awkward going to the class alone, I feel slower than everyone else, and then I naturally assume they are looking at me with disdain and talking about me. But that's kind of stuck-up to think you're that important-- that total strangers would dedicate their time to mocking you. And that's what normally makes me understand and rationalize that it's all in my head.

Instead of thinking of them negatively and allowing it to bother you, why don't you address them directly? "Nice shoes" or something to break the ice...seems like you could see how they react or if they "ignore" you or not. If they really are "mean girls" you'll find out...but chances are you'll make a gym friend or two, and feel more comfortable in the future.

:flowerforyou:
  • slays1415
    slays1415 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    These women are bullies and bullies don't stop when you ignore them. Unfortunately the only way to stop a bully is to stand up to them. Good luck to you! Not sure I'd want to be the only person of color at the gym - do you have other options that might have some more diversity?
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    So I started working out at a new gym with a trainer I LOVE but in the daily bootcamp there is a group of girls who are..well I'll say mean girls. They huddle together and giggle, and when I ask questions about a workout they basically ignore me. Now, my trainer is amazing and makes me feel comfortable but these chicks are about 1 strike way from me saying something to them...and not in a polite way. I know people will say ignore them and believe me I am..its just hard. I'm heavier than them and when I cant go as long as they can in certain workouts they laugh or shake their head when the trainer comes over to help me. Oh and by the way these chicks are grown *kitten* women! What to do? I'm not going to let some *kitten* chicks run me out of a good gym but I do need help on how to deal with it.

Thanks!

say nothing. just do the best you can and in the end youll laugh at them. or if they giggle, just turn around and say "i dont know why your laughing this is a gym, were all here for the same purpose so just focus on working out and not anybody else" or something like that.