family doesnt support me is it worth it?

Options
I feel ashamed when I work out to the point of not doing it if someone is in the house. I am 100+ over weight and I know I need to loose it but it's hard when I am the only one doing it. And I get looked at like there is a giant cow having a seizer in the house when im working out. So tired of going it alone. In only 15 days in and ready to quit.

Replies

• Brianna72994
    Options
    Stop caring what they all think. When they see that you're getting results, maybe they'll be more supportive
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When you take control of your life you have to shut the negative out. When your family sees your serious and committed then they should come around. Don't give up!! Do this for you!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    dont worry about them!
    just do you,do what makes you happy!
    & dont let them sabotage it for you!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why do you care what they think? You can exercise outside or at a gym if it bothers you that much.
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    sweety...pay no mind to them! This journey is for you and about you. It will always be you vs. you. Many will ask you why you do it, but eventually they will ask you how you did it! Be the example you want to set! Don't quit!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Keep at it and laugh all the way to your ideal weight. Then you get to mock them.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN NOT QUIT!!

If no one else in your house wants to work out, then what about close friends? Or get OUT of the house! Put your headphones in and go for a quick walk :smile: Maybe a gym membership?

And anyone who would think rudely of you for wanting to change your life is an idiot and inconsiderate, please dont let them bother you. Most likely someone in your house also could get more in shape, so maybe if they see how dedicated you are and be motivated!

You won't lose it all in 15 days, just take things slowly and youll see results :flowerforyou:
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    The real question hun is are YOU worth it? Ponder this for a minute....

..... Minutes up.....

Answer: You're DAMN right you are! It's not just about a jean/dress size, or vanity...it's also about your health! Think of it that way. I'm not sure of your age...but think about living a healthy future. If you have kids, think about setting a good example for them...if you don't have then...think about gettin fit and healthy for when/ if you want to have them. If you don't then think about it as setting a great example of living a long healthy fulfilled life minus health problems as an example for your family to see. I've dealt with this myself. And it sucks when you have no support, but Here...you will find tons of it. And you have to do this for you...not others.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    revenge. will the come around? maybe? maybe not! who cares? use it. work out harder when they mock you. when the weight starts coming off.. and they say something.. smirk.. smile and nod.. when they REALLY start noticing it.. just smile.. in the back of your head, call them f**kers and keep smiling.. then, when all of a sudden they wanna act like they had a part in it, leave those ba*t*rds in the wind with a fart!! =)
  • I was the same way at first, I was worried what they would think or say! I would turn the DVD player off in the middle of a workout if my better half pulled in the driveway! I've done that since I started working out. Until recently I just don't care anymore! I'm not doing this for anybody but me! So he can go ahead and make comments all he wants (he doesn't anymore) and I don't care! Just remember your doing this for YOU! Who cares it's better than not being happy with yourself!! Keep going! U can do this!
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Of course it's worth it. YOU are worth it!! Let them know that you want to be healthy and that it will make you happy. Let them know also that you would really appreciate their support, but if they can't manage to be at least supportive, to not be negative about it. ((HUGS)) and good luck!! Friend me here, I will be supportive!
  • XxBrightsidexX
    Options
    It deffiently is worth it. I know how you feel, some fam\ily members of mine arent supportive as well But i get threw. I jsut ignore them as hard as it is its possable. If you need motivation You have people here, thats what were all here for. To help each other out :)
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Can I ask are they overweight as well maybe they are worried if you lose weight that they will feel guilty about there own weight and food choices ect, Mine were a bit like that as well when I lived there my mum seen me wanting to lose weight as a insult to her and her food she was very skinny herself but was the kind of person who used food to make others happy and had feed me on a diet of coke chips and chocolate since i was really young so i think it made her feel guilty and I think it confronted her with what my childhood diet had done to me

maybe there is some of that guilt there in your family?
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    First of all, before I even get into any explaining: YES. It's worth it. YOU are worth it.

I know that it's hard, but to quote a movie character: "The hard is what makes it great. If it was easy, everyone would do it."
    You know that you can do this, and that's why you got started here. It does get discouraging to not have support, but you're doing this for yourself. To be healthier, to feel better.
    Keep doing what's best for you!
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You darn right it is worht it! You know why.....because YOU are worth it!!! Good for you to want to be healthy. Most times when others disapprove, it is about their hangups, not yours. If not now, when? Throw off the shame that binds you. And you know what...this will pass. They will either get on board with you, or not. Whenever we do something good for ourselves, there will be those who support us, those who don't, and those who try and sabatoge us. And that goes for family too. Love yourself, be your best friend, and in the process, you will influence your kids and your wife, and others who care about you.
  • thinlizzy456
    Options
    You can waste your life doing things that others (or yourself) may make you feel guilty about. Do they thank you in the end? Of course not! You need to do what's in your best interest and ignore those guilty feelings... either real or perceived. Do what you know is best for you, and those around you will respect you more.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,005 Member
    Options
    Can you set up a spot in another room and tell them during your workout time not to disturb you. This is what i do when everyone is home. I set my laundry room up with a mini tv/dvd player and a step and weights i shut the door and workout. I also go for walks . Walking does alot more good then people realize. Whatever you do dont give up. When you start getting results you will feel so good about yourself and they will be proud of you too
  • Dawnlandia
    Options
    Good workout song -- Jimmy Eat World "The Middle"

"Hey, don't write yourself off yet
    It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on
    Just try your best, try everything you can
    And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away

It just takes some time
    Little girl you're in the middle of the ride
    Everything, everything will be just fine
    Everything, everything will be alright, alright"

Tune in to some good music and tune them OUT.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Your family may not find your efforts worthwhile - but are they worthwhile to YOU? That's the real question.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Are you doing this for them or are you doing this for you?