The Starvation Mode Myth...again.

Options

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I knew it didn't happen overnight. It took awhile. I personally could not read all of that, too much to read.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've been in starvation mode all morning.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    steve098 wrote: »
    DSTMT wrote: »
    So naturally you should be happy to show us a picture of your success, right? Since you've got it all figured out.
    Oh, Steve.

In your attempt to Gish-gallop around the topic it seems that you forgot the context of the original post on leptin.
    It could be a decrease in leptin at that level of food intake

To which you replied.

The whole leptin thing has been pretty much debunked.

But according to your own source:

"In mice or humans with mutations that render their
    fat cells unable to produce leptin or mutations that
    cause defective leptin receptors in the hypothalamus,
    marked hyperphagia and morbid obesity occur.

So much for leptin being "debunked".

rat studies don't count.

Lol. I guess you missed the word "human"

You should learn to quit while you're behind.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Leptin is not a dominant factor in the obese. Didn't you read what I excerpted?

If it was, Big Pharm would be stumbling all over themselves to make an analogue pill and cure obesity forever.

Shouldn't you guys be doing push-ups or something?

And M27, you never got back to me about Guyton;s and all your doctor friends. What do they think about it?

I still want to know are you Sebastion Johnson or are you just using his image? You've never answered this

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/AP/faces/pages/read/Home.jsp?person=s.johnston&_adf.ctrl-state=14qgpr7ir8_3&_afrRedirect=2716033129030520
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Why was I quoted, I never said anything about leptin lol. I'm still waiting to see a picture of you though "Steve", since you must be super fit and healthy right?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Leptin is not a dominant factor in the obese. Didn't you read what I excerpted?

Did you?
    If it was, Big Pharm would be stumbling all over themselves to make an analogue pill and cure obesity forever.

You seem to be confusing the statement that leptin deficiency can lead to obesity with "excess leptin causes fat loss"

They are not logically equivalent.

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last line in the original post by Iswanny320 that stated:

“Bottom line, you should do adequate research and dietary analysis to ensure you are getting the best nutrition you can for your calories.”

I would only add, it is probably a good idea to get feedback and guidance from your personal physician. Everyone is different. What is o.k. or healthy for one person may not be for someone else.

73641431.png
  • divediva2
    divediva2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    What I really want to know is why does NikonPal have a ticker and mine is gone?! I thought the MFP techs decided to banish it for some reason. Oh and you have great stats NikonPal! Well done.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    DSTMT wrote: »
    So naturally you should be happy to show us a picture of your success, right? Since you've got it all figured out.
    Oh, Steve.

In your attempt to Gish-gallop around the topic it seems that you forgot the context of the original post on leptin.
    It could be a decrease in leptin at that level of food intake

To which you replied.

The whole leptin thing has been pretty much debunked.

But according to your own source:

"In mice or humans with mutations that render their
    fat cells unable to produce leptin or mutations that
    cause defective leptin receptors in the hypothalamus,
    marked hyperphagia and morbid obesity occur.

So much for leptin being "debunked".

rat studies don't count.

Lol. I guess you missed the word "human"

You should learn to quit while you're behind.

Guy is a fake. Don't engage. Using a stolen image, and posting in nonsense = troll. Or 4channer.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Love OP's post. Knew most of it, but nevertheless very interesting and very well explained!
  • Keerth4na
    Keerth4na Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    firstsip wrote: »
    I completely disagree with this scientific research. I ate 2 calories a day for five years and now I'm 200 pounds overweight. :cry:

That is impossible. Are you saying that in the last five years you only ate (365 x 5 x 2= 3650) three thousand six hundred and fifty calories in the last five years?? And that 3650 calories made you put on 200 pounds?!!! The actual food itself must have weighed a hundredth of that
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    reference
  • ladymuaythai
    ladymuaythai Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Nicely written. You made me smarter lol #preach
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not reading that wall of text. But starvation mode is a myth. I have put my body into what you would call "starvation mode" plenty of times. And along with exercise, i dropped way more then 2 lbs a week even when i was 10 pounds away from a healthy BMI. I can only give my opinion but from personal experience i think starvation mode only applies to people who eat very little and do very little activities/exercise. Again, my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
  • reneekarl
    reneekarl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on a low calorie diet with high amounts of exercise, I have stopped having a period, am feeling sluggish with low energy, struggling through workouts, but am putting on fat. I also have symptoms of malnutrition (ie protein, iron deficits). Explain how this is not "starvation mode"
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    reneekarl wrote: »
    I am on a low calorie diet with high amounts of exercise, I have stopped having a period, am feeling sluggish with low energy, struggling through workouts, but am putting on fat. I also have symptoms of malnutrition (ie protein, iron deficits). Explain how this is not "starvation mode"

How are you determining you've put on fat?

(and unless you're under a doctor's supervision - quit this obviously harmful and ridiculous diet)
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    demelzanoo wrote: »
    Yes - I can't help but feel that in many cases people get a bit tired and actually over estimate exercise done as they don't do much (maybe using MFP figures), while underestimating food they've actually eaten.

Calories in vs calories out still always stands - it's just a case of working out the right figures :).

im always quite surprised at the amount of calories that seem to get burned doing activities on here, i stopped including the calories burned because i felt they were inaccurate.... or worse still... too depressingly low ! I was equally shocked at how many calories i was actually eating, this only came to light when i started actually measuring my food.... turns out i was eating twice as many calories as i thought i was and burning half as many calories as i thought i was.... so now i am re-educated hopefully my calories burned will be more than the calories i eat so i will finally lose some weight!.... its only taken me 16 years to accept that this is the only way to do it!

Yes, you have to take the calories listed on MFP with a grain of salt. They're a good guide but I find, based on a HRM, I don't burn as many calories when I run as MFP thinks I might. It's important to really know your body and know what works for you and fortunately, it's trial and error.