Aldi's helps me eat healthy and save money

Options

Replies

• Phatgirl420
    Phatgirl420 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    where do you all live? i thought they were only in missouri and illinois...I live in Missouri and shop there! :)
    I live in Maryland, we have them here as well :)
  • dallasfloyd
    Options
    I have been shopping at Aldi for over a year now.. I still don't understand why some refuse to by milk, and meats there.. My store has near perfect fruit every day.. (its pretty busy because of the traffic and my town) I think that helps.

Ask the store staff what the brands are.. Some of the stuff i agree is hit or miss on the chips and sodas.. The chicken is Tysons and the Milk is bordens.. i can't remember all of them but I get 90% of my groceries there.. the only thing i don't buy there is I make my own salsa and the only peppers they have are jalapenos. Krogers is a quick stop across the street.
  • wilma1234
    Options
    I live in Australia and we love aldi here as well. the fruit and vegetables are great and cheap. The cereal is not bad either. we often shop at aldi and get a lot for our money. wilma1234
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Aldi's is too far and the closest store is not very clean. We have a Save a Lot in town that is a better deal for us.

We have a Save-a-Lot here too and I will not buy meats there because it has always had a dirty feel to it. When I go into the store and can see the gnats before I even get to the produce section, well...

I'm sure no matter what chain store we discuss, the local management has some impact on the cleanliness, quality and freshness.
    Yes, Aldi has a lot of overly processed foods, just like any other store, but I don't buy those. It is the only local place I can get Muesli and know that it will be the same product I am used to getting in Germany, unlike so many other brands that call themselves Muesli.
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    i use to love aldi's when I ate poorly-but IMO they are not a great place to shop for healthy food..But I did love shopping there, it was cheap with lots of variety.
  • roxmysoxoffkys
    Options
    I LOVE Aldis. They have a lot of really good food choices. AND they have super awesome deals on other things too. I recently bought a digital food scale there for 5 dollars!!!! Bargin! Their fresh produce is always pretty good to pick from. They have their "Fit and Active" options too that are pretty tasty. I just recently got ham and cheese fit active "hot pockets" and they're really good. I have a save- a- lot right down the street from Aldis that's actually really clean and well kept. Sometimes they even have a better selection of produce there than Aldis. I love saving money! who doesn't??! makes eating healthier an easier thing to do when i don't have to worry about money being an issue.
  • Kimber415
    Kimber415 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get there unsalted almonds...much cheaper! Shrimp is much cheaper....bottled water is a must if you drink bottled water! Many good things to choose from
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more... I LOVE Aldi... you can save so much money there. I love their produce and the "Fit and Active" and "Friendly Farms" brands. A couple of my friends are snobbish about shopping there but I tell them they're crazy!
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Is i true that Aldi is owned by Trader Joe's?
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm all about some Aldi! You really can't beat the prices. However, I do definitely prefer Trader Joe's - I like to call it the Aldi of Whole Foods. I almost never have issues with quality or selection. Obviously not quite as amazingly priced as Aldi, but definitely less than other major grocery stores.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Agreed, it's great!
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Is i true that Aldi is owned by Trader Joe's?

Close, it's the other way around. Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi's.

"When Kart and Theo Albrecht split the company to form Aldi Nord (North) and Aldi Süd (South) in 1960, they also split their global ambitions. Today there are about 4981 stores that belong to Aldi North and 4504 stores that belong to Aldi South. In addition there are about 367 Trader Joe’s that belong to Aldi North."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterloeb/2012/05/17/aldis-trader-joes-is-a-winner/
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I went to Aldi's for the longest time till I decided to wear my big boy pants and get a Costco Membership.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    My favorite Aldi purchase

110601HB_4252A_SSP_TripleChocCones.JPG
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I kind of forgot about Aldis. I used to shop there years ago and a couple of times I got some products that were very "questionable" so I stopped going there. Maybe they've improved. I'll have to go check it out. Thanks for the reminder. :smile:
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    I love our Aldi store. The produce is better than anywhere locally, and I always get our meat there too. I agree their soda is not the best.
  • sheribrasington
    Options
    I agree and their cereal is also so much cheaper and try the stir fry they have, it is the bomb and CHEAP!
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The Aldi company or corporation owns Trader Joe's. :-)
  • Yoshima
    Yoshima Posts: 58
    Options
    where do you all live? i thought they were only in missouri and illinois...I live in Missouri and shop there! :)

Lived in Madison, WI years ago, and shopped at Aldi's. Also lived in Minneapolis, and there are Aldi's all over the metro area.

BTW - Aldi's is a company/store that originated in Germany, but under a different name, I believe. They have stores all over the world, and in the US are affiliated with Trader Joe's.
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I live very close to an Aldi. I have yet to venture in because my family was very, very poor growing up and that is the only place my mom shopped. The store we went to was so dirty and I was always so embarrassed. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember it?

I go to Trader Joe's and stock up every other Saturday because it's about 45 minutes away. I LOVE Trader Joe's.