Aldi's helps me eat healthy and save money

Options
12346»

Replies

1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi! I have been shopping there for over 5 years now! I was so happy to see all the Aldi stuff in the food database. The Fit and Active line has been a life saver for me! I gave up soda entirely and instead drink the Puraqua sparkling flavored water - 0 cals, 0 carbs, 0 sugar, 0 sodium. it is sweetened with a sugar substitute which I usually avoid, but in this case, it's worth it.

Any ways, I love Aldi. I can fill my cart and leave for $150 or less. Try that at your local supermarket!

I have a whole system in place for my Aldi shopping. I keep a quarter in my car at all times for Aldi shopping cart. I have a strong plastic crate (like a thick laundry basket). Inside the crate I keep my cold items bag (a gift from my wedding shower), paper/plastic bags from other stores or bought previously. I put the crate on the bottom of the cart and go shopping.
    I try to unload my cart super fast (they are NINJA's, It is totally true) all cans and heavy items first, then all the cold items, and lastly the fagile items. When I get to the front I swap the crate from the bottom of my cart to the bottom of the new cart, pay by debit card and go bag my groceries.

Someone once said to me something along the lines of "not having to shop at Aldi's "and I thought why wouldn't I shop at Aldi? lol even if I had the money to buy brand name items, I don't want it. I want the Aldi stuff. It's good. I'm over my need to have brand name items. It's total bull.

People love to eat my meals. I'm not bragging (well, a little) but I am known for making good food and 90% of my food is purchased at Aldi's. Even brand name lovers will enjoy it if no one tells them I bought the stuff at Aldi's.

Viva la Aldi!
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    We were shopping at Aldi's in mid-state IL back in the 80s - they've been around forever. Back in the day, the checkers had to memorize every price in the store and enter them by hand - no scanners! I am impressed by all the positive chatter here and I'm off to try to find one around here (SE Denver). Thanks!

**UPDATE: Looks like there are NO ALDIs in Colorado! Bummer! Lack of competition explains why our grocery prices are so high here. I guess I'll keep looking to WalMart for low prices. Anyone else in CO have low price suggestions?
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who ALWAYS forgets to bring my own bags? Always...

Nope, I do it all the time, too! Sometimes I'll take back a cart that someone didn't think was worth a quarter to return, then I can justify the 20 cents or so I unnecessarily spend on their bags. I probably have 20 bags at home, or under the seat of the "other" vehicle. LOL!!! I love our Aldi, and have never, ever had a problem with poor-quality produce. I tend to hit Aldi first, then do the rest of my grocery shopping at the big grocery stores. They have huge, fresh pumpkins this week for $1.99, two lbs of seedless grapes for $1.50 always, milk for $1.79/gallon, etc.

My food diary is loaded with L'Oven Fresh, Fit and Active, and Deutsche Kuche items from Aldi.

And, I guess I don't understand folks who can't pick something up out of a box stacked neatly on a pallet, or who can't put their own groceries in a bag on occasion. Might burn a few extra calories, ya know?
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have been contemplating using Aldi for some time now. We have one just a few minutes from Wal-Mart, but like some, I have been skeptical about the quality of the food because of the lower prices. Monday's are my grocery days, so I might venture there since I don't have as much to buy this week and will have time to look around more. I'm skeptical about buying meat anywhere but Publix though...
  • MimiCro
    MimiCro Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    there is no Aldis in my area :/
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I went to Aldi's for the longest time till I decided to wear my big boy pants and get a Costco Membership.

Yeah, Costco trumps all of these. Of course, I have a membership at Costco AND Sam's Club... and now live in a city without a car. Which is awesome, obviously. :l So, I settle for one bag a week from Trader Joe's, aka all I can reasonably carry on the bus/train.
  • shedpoundsforgood
    Options
    always shop at aldi for my fruit andveg just the freshest without the cost xx