Mom jeans.

Options

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Might as well also cover Jeggings and Yoga Pants and do a comprehensive pants thread, LOL.

Don't give me ideas, now. ;)
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    No. Apparently I rock my jeans. :heart:
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Remember this from Saturday Night Live?

images.jpg
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a closet full of expensive, hip jeans, but the problem is, I can't fit into any of them right now. Amazing how 5 pounds will do that to you. So, I had a jean emergency (I wear jeans at work) and ended up buying 2 pairs from the GAP. I think they might be gateway mom jeans, and while I'm horrified at the thought, I'm using them for motivation to get me back into my cool jeans!
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I am a mom. No mom jeans for me.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You *kitten* can make or break a pair of jeans. I am gifted with *kitten* and curves, so I am usually not in danger of mom jeans...
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

images.jpg

:laugh: Yes I remember that! Haaah....

Oh geez.... I better do jean inventory sooon.
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options

images.jpg

nothing hotter..
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's so hard to find that happy medium with jeans! I wore the same jeans for years (and they were mom jeans for sure - I was going for comfort and price!). When I first lost weight, I went out and bought a size down of the same jeans. Wore them once or twice and realized they didn't fit my new shape! :bigsmile:

So then began my quest for new jeans that fit right, without looking like jeans my mom or grandma would wear, but not too trendy because I'm not going for the midlife crisis look either! :tongue:

Not big on flares, been there, done that in the 70's. Same goes for anything jeans that fall into the 80's category (which I am seeing again in stores! I guess it was bound to happen!). I don't do bling, faded butt or thighs (looks like they sat in bleach!), holes, frayed hems, too much stretch, and have an aversion to pocket flaps.

And while I get the info on the blog about the pocket placement, I have to say that a lot of the low pockets are just too low, at least for some people, and just end up making the butt look short and dumpy. Add a bunch of blingy embroidery or flaps to the pockets and you might as well have a neon sign saying, "look at my dumpy butt!".

I got for what fits me well, and looks flattering on me. I've got a couple of pairs of Levi's, and holy cow, the fit and size really varies in their various styles and cuts! As I've continued to lose the fat (YAY!), I've managed to find a few good pairs of jeans at thrift stores, saving myself heaps of money. I have a pair of J Jill jeans that fit pretty well, and two pairs of Lucky Brand, all from thrift stores, in good shape, and I paid about $3 a pair for them. Score!

Love that my body is changing for the better, but I'm sure not looking forward to needing to shop for new jeans again! :laugh:
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can wear Jeans from Gap or or Old Navy....and my *kitten* doesn't look as pictured in the shots....

Do more squats....wear any jeans and look fabulous.

Awesome.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 years old and have no children... but I shamelessly own a pair of Mom jeans. I reserve them for doing work around the house/yard in cooler months when athletic shorts are not appropriate and neither is exposed skin. They also work well for snow days :)
  • kellimr
    kellimr Posts: 69
    Options
    That was awesome ~ love the comparisons...Definitely keeping this for when I am small enough to fit in the Non-Gap jeans shown on the right! Thanks :D
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't think that any of those pics looked like what I refer to as "mom jeans". I suppose definitions vary, but to me, "mom jeans" have a few basic qualities:
    --usually very faded in color (i.e. not dark denim)
    --have pleats or weird front pockets
    --are too high-rise in the waist
    --have tapered legs

And seriously, the number one thing that makes anyone wearing jeans look like a poster child for "mom jeans" is wearing tennis shoes and/or a crewneck sweatshirt with them. Chuck Taylors are ultra cool and don't count.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I thought I was just too picky about my jeans! Now I know that there's only select brands that fit well! And OMG I hate when my jeans stretch out an hour after I put them on! It's ridiculous! They need to take the damn stretchy material OUT of the jeans!

Um, denim stretches out when you wear it. It's the jeans with stretchy spandex that don't get baggy when you wear them. Or as baggy.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    God I HATE mom jeans! I also hate muffin tops!
  • jamielovesjbs
    jamielovesjbs Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i shouldn't admit this........ but, i haven't worn jeans in 3 years. :0 i seriously wear sweat pants everyday!!! i will keep this list in mind though, when i eventually brave the jean world again.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'll stop wearing "mom jeans" if we can burn all of the skinny jeans. Why? Because I personally don't think they look good on anyone. Half of the complaints made in what I read of that blog don't make sense/are silly.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    This article was hilarious! I'm glad I'm not the only one who looks awful in Gap and Old Navy jeans!
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I loved that article!!! Thank you! lol
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i want ALL THESE (non Gap/ON) JEANS!!!