Is 25 too old to be single?

Options
I just turned 25 in September and I feel like I should be in a relationship that is heading towards marriage by now. All of my friends that are 23-25 are either engaged or in a relationship and I feel like I'm behind socially....if that makes any sense. I got out of a relationship back in April and I feel like I'm still young and childish. But I like it.. I mean I'm pretty content with who I am and what I'm focusing on now (myself).

Part of it is esteem, you know, the whole overweight thing. But I see a lot of people here on MFP who I consider potential friends, but then I shy away from adding them or talking to them much because I find out they're married/have kids. Nothing against it at all but I see the posts and I feel less likely to form any kind of bond because we're at different stages, and that sort of thing isn't what I know and understand well.

I don't feel too lonely and don't have much interest in getting into a relationship right now, but I can't shake the feeling of being behind I guess.

Replies

• FirefitMike
    FirefitMike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I didn't get married until I was 29. You aren't behind at all...some people never get married, some get married at 60. Do what makes you happy, not what you think everyone expects.
  • SweetNSassee
    Options
    I don't believe that there's anything wrong with it. I'll be 26 in a week and I am single, never been married but I do have kids. I do feel like I am behind compared to my friends who are married or in relationships that have lasted for years but I do not feel like everyone has to have that. I'm not lonely either and not really looking for a relationship because it's easier to be single and meet the weight loss goals first and then maybe date you know?
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    God I hope not.
    I'm 18 and don't want to get married until I'm 30
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes, you've blown it in all those countries with a life expectancy of 32. sorry.
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    Oh mah god, I'm 27 and I don't want to even THINK about marriage for now! The thought of it makes me break into a cold sweat, lol.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    You should get married when you meet someone worthy of marrying. There's no right age for it. I didn't even want to think about getting married until I was 30. I actually met my husband when I was 35...we got married a year later. In my experience, people who get married very young have a greater chance of divorce. Don't rush things.
  • malicent
    malicent Posts: 127
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, growing up I always said to myself that 30-33 would be when. But life happens differently than we plan right? Also, being single now provides me with all the time and focus I need to work on getting healthier, so yeah.. Cool! :D
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    25 and single is a whole heluva lot better than being a 37 year old single divorcee with 2 kids who now have a deadbeat dad.

Don't rush stuff that's not meant to be, learn to be your own best friend and hopefully the rest of it will fall into place for you!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and divorced. I should have waited until at least 25 before thinking about marrying. I have been single now for 2 years and I know there is no reason to rush into something.
  • suckerlove
    Options
    I tell all my younger friends, don't get married before 30 because the amount a person changes between 20 and 30 it crazy. Most marriages of people I know who married young don't survive the changes.
  • xxxTiaxxx
    xxxTiaxxx Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You're fine dude. I use to worry about that stuff when I was like 22. I've had many bfs (long term) that just never worked. Now I'm 25 and have been with someone for a year and a half and kind of feel like we should be getting engaged soon. I think the older you get the more you realize that it's not really that big of a deal and even if you're single at 25+ there's still a lot of other people who are in the same situation. I'd just enjoy it and you'll eventually meet and click with someone.

I don't think those sort of ideals mean much these days with so many people waiting later or focusing on other things like.. living and working =)
  • jasonr1009
    jasonr1009 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    lol im 33 tomorrow..... and single. i hope not!
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    too old?! i'm 29 and single. i must be ancient...

anyway, i refuse to settle. when people ask, i say no one is good enough for me :laugh:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You should get married when you meet someone worthy of marrying.

THIS. PLEASE do not rush marriage! Work on enjoying yourself and forming good solid friendships. Be the woman you want to be.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    25 and single is a whole heluva lot better than being a 37 year old single divorcee with 2 kids who now have a deadbeat dad.

Don't rush stuff that's not meant to be, learn to be your own best friend and hopefully the rest of it will fall into place for you!

I'm a 27 year old single divorcee of 2 kids who have a deadbeat dad. You act like that's the end of the world. We're doing just fine and I wouldn't trade these boys for anything.
  • ChristineEaton7210
    ChristineEaton7210 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I didn't get married until I was 39........ I kissed A LOT of frogs before I found my prince!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say no, not too old...because I'm 42 and single. Not always happy about it, but it is what it is.

I always wanted to get married and have children, that apparently was not in the cards for me...I'd like to think my life is not a total wash because I'm single, though. I just have to figure out where else to focus my energy.

Life doesn't happen the way you want it to. There's no "right" time table for things to happen.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I waited until I was 27. No rush for you. All in good time. Choose wisely.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    If it is, then at 31 I'm in trouble.
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, divorced 9 years. There's no age limit on being true to yourself.