Anyone around?

Options

Replies

• ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I lived in Everett, Seattle & Bremerton - hence the nickname I chose. I grew up near Dublin and had the same experience, didn't get to explore it until I was in high school & college. The Eastside is pretty nice, terrible traffice.

I have a few relatives living on Bainbridge Island that moved to Kingston, so we use the ferry now and then. Yup, traffic is pretty bad and has only gotten worse. They've started tolling the 520 floating bridge to finance building a wider and safer one. All these beautiful lakes, mountains, and rivers make for difficult transportaion and road planning.

I was out there at the beginning of Sept. My Aunt kept reminding me - Don't go on 520
  • ferrytrip
    Options
    I had waaay too many calories today for thanksgiving. ****.

Isn't that in Nov, thanksgiving?

ps. why do you guys have thanksgiving??

xx

We do ours in October(Canada.)
    Americans that fled during the American Revolution went to Canada and brought the tradition here. It became a statutory holiday.

I did always wonder about that. Thanks for the info. I find American Thanksgiving to be too close to Christmas. This year, I'm celebrating by working a 12 hr shift.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I was out there at the beginning of Sept. My Aunt kept reminding me - Don't go on 520

It's made kind of a mess. Lots more people are using I-90 or just driving around the north or south end of the lake. We're seeing a lot more traffic through Bothell because of it.
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I meant to add it's not so bad having the holiday near Christmas. In the US, it always falls on the fourth Thursday of November. The day is a national holiday, but most people get the Friday after off as well, making an nice four day weekend. Plus, that Friday is called Black Friday by retailers (meaning there financials go from red/negative to black/positive) and is the biggest shopping day of the year.

Black Friday sounds amazing, although I hear it can be dangerous too!

I could live with the 4 day weekend around Thanksgiving, it's the buying all the food twice so close together that would bother me lol.

Ferry - aren't people just so delightful! I'm glad you enjoy your job though, I'd give anything to say the same.

Brandy - hahaha me neither, not at all. I'm struggling with what to get my 4 yr old.

xx
  • ferrytrip
    Options

It's made kind of a mess. Lots more people are using I-90 or just driving around the north or south end of the lake. We're seeing a lot more traffic through Bothell because of it.

I remember it not being the best of highways - 405?
  • brandyss
    brandyss Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Brandy - hahaha me neither, not at all. I'm struggling with what to get my 4 yr old.

xx
    my kids r easy just exspencive...lol
  • SeaRunner26
    Options

I could live with the 4 day weekend around Thanksgiving, it's the buying all the food twice so close together that would bother me lol.

Ferry - aren't people just so delightful! I'm glad you enjoy your job though, I'd give anything to say the same.

xx

Yeah, Black Friday is quite the spectacle and not for the faint of heart. To be honest, I won't go near any retail areas that entire weekend. It's not worth my sanity.
  • ferrytrip
    Options
    I meant to add it's not so bad having the holiday near Christmas. In the US, it always falls on the fourth Thursday of November. The day is a national holiday, but most people get the Friday after off as well, making an nice four day weekend. Plus, that Friday is called Black Friday by retailers (meaning there financials go from red/negative to black/positive) and is the biggest shopping day of the year.

xx

Whats the big shopping day in Douglas? or do you have to go to Ireland or England to really shop?
  • ferrytrip
    Options
    [/quote]

Yeah, Black Friday is quite the spectacle and not for the faint of heart. To be honest, I won't go near any retail areas that entire weekend. It's not worth my sanity.
    [/quote]

Searunner is a genius. Is a cheap TV really worth armed combat - I think not
  • SeaRunner26
    Options

I-405 is being expanded right now. The goal is to get three or more general purpose lanes in each direction plus an HOV lane for its entire length from Southcetner to Lynnwood. In fact, I spent six years working for the project.
  • ferrytrip
    Options

I-405 is being expanded right now. The goal is to get three or more general purpose lanes in each direction plus an HOV lane for its entire length from Southcetner to Lynnwood. In fact, I spent six years working for the project.

Thats alot of work and time. Must be hard to watch the evening news and hear the know nothing whine all night long
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Whats the big shopping day in Douglas? or do you have to go to Ireland or England to really shop?

Hahaha I was like "how the hell does he know Douglas??!!"

We have shops/stores here but not much choice so most people shop online or take day trips to Liverpool.

Have you ever been here seeing as you're originally from Ireland?

xx
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    Thats alot of work and time. Must be hard to watch the evening news and hear the know nothing whine all night long

Ha ha! Fortunately, even though I'm trained in civil engineering, I was working in the business group on cost controls (budgeting, assessing progress, and forecasting). I couldn't be blamed for the mess...
  • brandyss
    Options
    2 hrs till ill b crawling in my bed..yeah
  • SeaRunner26
    Options
    2 hrs till ill b crawling in my bed..yeah

Not that much longer. You can make it!
  • SirRunningShorts
    SirRunningShorts Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    aaaaaaah I have 5 hours to go!! :( that blows.
  • ferrytrip
    Options

Hahaha I was like "how the hell does he know Douglas??!!"

We have shops/stores here but not much choice so most people shop online or take day trips to Liverpool.

Have you ever been here seeing as you're originally from Ireland?

xx

No, I never made it over but a family I know from Dublin moved there - I think they bought a B&B. I would like to visit and the Channel Islands as well. I did get to Scotland a few years ago.
  • brandyss
    Options
    aaaaaaah I have 5 hours to go!! :( that blows.
    Ya sorry :( iv already been here 11 hrs
  • ferrytrip
    Options

Ha ha! Fortunately, even though I'm trained in civil engineering, I was working in the business group on cost controls (budgeting, assessing progress, and forecasting). I couldn't be blamed for the mess...

That was very clever of you. Sneaky but very clever.
  • jasonr1009
    jasonr1009 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    oh snap 1.5 hours til i go home