Eating back calories

Options
124»

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    So I'm a bit confused here. I'm normal calorie intake is 2300. But my workouts are trending twards 1000 calories. So does that mean I should be eating 3300 a day? How would I lose weight then?

What's the low down friends?

"eating back your calories" never understood it! I've read several threads on this hoping someone will give any sort of explanation that makes any sense.. nope.

How many calories does your body need to highly perform the lifestyle you choose. The bigger you are, the more calories you will obviously need. The more you work out, the more you will need to add to that.

deduct from that, and you will lose weight. A deficit of around 250-300 cals will give you a weight loss of about 1/2 a week. 500 will give you 1lbs. Keep in mind, Your body needs carbs, protein and fat, so you need to get all that in, especially protein if you work out a lot.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    In his very first post.

. If you "have tried everything and cannot lose weight" or if you're eating "x amount of calories and still can't lose weight." my answer will always be the same- you are eating too many calories. Be consistent with your current intake and cut by 10-20% while making sure you are getting enough protein. Make sure you are correct with your portion sizes and choosing the right foods in the MFP. In other words, if you can't lose weight- you need to eat less and exercise more.

Please, go tell him that you're 6ft, 240 pounds, and a man eating 1200 calories a day and not losing weight even with a rigorous exercise routine. I would love to hear what he says.

I did. I told him im 6 foot 240 pounds and the workouts I told him I do are exactly what Im doing. I guarantee you he tells me Im not eating nearly enough and I bet he recommends 2600 calories at least.

So, he came back and said a whole bunch of nothing. Didn't even say 1200 calories is "unhealthy" for you. I suspect this is due to the fact that there is no disease associated with eating less, only eating more. I'm not talking about mental disorders....but if you read his other posts, they all have the same theme. Eat less to lose more weight, not eat more, and never once does he say eat your exercise calories back. He has always said to not eat them back no matter who asked the question and no matter how many calories that person ate, it was always the same answer.

If you can't lose weight, you simply need to cut calories. You're not doing anything wrong, you just need to create a bigger deficit. Nothing drastic, try a 10% cut.

If you're losing weight at a rate you are happy with, continue to eat back your calories. If you're not, then you have to create a deficit. Creating a deficit by not eating back calories from exercise is one way to do that. It's all about results. If you're not getting them- create a deficit.

• awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'll give you a head start. I've listed some diets below and they all have 1 thing in common. Absolutely none of them say anything about eating exercise calories back.

Atkins Diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkins_diet

1200 calorie diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://www.everydiet.org/diet/1200-calorie-diet

1500 calorie diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://www.womenandweight.com/1500-calorie-diet-plan/

Vegan diet, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/Vegan.htm

PSMF, says nothing about eating exercise calories back
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_Sparing_Modified_Fast

Edit: I know how MFP works and it's created some type of myth that if you don't eat your exercise calories back, you will stop losing weight. At least, that's what your opinion seems to be. It's just nonsense and nowhere outside of MFP will you ever see such a notion, at least not from medical professionals or science journals.

Atkins diet resource is Wikipedia...really that's not a valid resource. I've never been on Atkins but I don't think you even count calories do you? I'm not even bothering with the other links. They aren't exactly experts?

The big one you didn't post is Weight Watchers. Because you can't, one of the most popular diets on the planet allows you to eat back exercise calories. Hmmm I bet they've done a few studies?

Some people call that selective reading and I've never been to weight watchers. To my understanding, it's not an official diet but rather more like MFP. Just a place to keep track of your calories. Do you have a link to weight watchers that says you must eat back your calories for faster results? I skimmed through the website and all I found was recipes. What are these studies you are talking about from weight watchers?

I don't think you HAVE to eat back calories to lose weight. But you can still lose weight if you do. I have. There have been a billion studies done on weight watchers, google it. What constitutes an official "diet" program? This is a pointless argument. Do what you want with your calories. Mfp is a great tool, you can set it up with a deficit built in, or not, you can eat back exercise calories or not. It's what you do that will show on the scale and in the mirror. Your body won't lie(unless you REALLY) screw up your metabolism.

Good luck!

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/weight-watchers-effective-diet/t/story?id=14465015
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Your net needs to be your net if you are in it for weight loss. Going below net will not help you lose weight - your body needs a minimum amount to function and when it doesn't get it it will hold onto weight. So eating back calories to reach your net should be your goal. If you can't, then stop excercising so much.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I don't think you HAVE to eat back calories to lose weight. But you can still lose weight if you do. I have. There have been a billion studies done on weight watchers, google it.

Have you been reading what I have been saying because I agree with you. You seem to be missing the point where MDwilliams believes that not eating back your calories will stall your weight loss and he also believes that eating back exercise calories will make you lose weight faster when compared to someone who does not. That's just nonsense. No one, not even that link you posted about weight watchers has said a single thing about losing weight faster by eating back your exercise calories.