Weight Watchers vs. MFP

Options
My 17 week pass for weight watchers is up this week and I've been contemplating renewing it. After I started WW, I re-joined MFP so I've been doing both. For several reasons I have decided not to renew WW and make MFP my main source of inspiration. I find the tracking here much easier to use. I find the support I get here is helping me more. So I'm coming in full fledged and hoping to get the results some of you have had on here.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Free is always better. You get out of it, what you put in.
  • munkeyfunk
    munkeyfunk Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    MFP > all
  • juanita805
    Options
    I switched from WW to MFP just recently, as well. My first week was a bit of an experiment, I had to adjust my calorie intake a few times. I think WW sets us up with great habits if you track every bite, but now that I'm tracking calories I feel like I have more control over my diet. I like being able to track nutrients!
  • mag104
    mag104 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I switched a few weeks ago too and much prefer MFP x
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I came off jenny Craig onto MFP and I find I like having more control over my diet.
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have switched in the last few weeks too. My weight loss has stalled for a long time now and needed to try something new. Tracking calories has really opened my eyes to portion size and the calories contained in 'free' food on other plans. I am planning for slow and steady progress :smile:
  • Dagoth
    Dagoth Posts: 172
    Options
    I prefer MFP because it deals with actual macros, nutrients, calories, etc, instead of some dumb point system created by middle aged women.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have tried WW twice (online version). I honestly hated it. I heard the meetings are better, but I don't really have the time or the money to do it. I think MFP is easier. I am tracking calories which, to me, are easy to track and keep count of. I felt like trying to figure out exactly how many points are in food was pretty difficult. It's basically the same concepts. You are given a number, so stay within the number. Also, it's free to just do it on MFP. :)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Plus there's an easy point system you can follow and the points are listed on the products themselves, not just in a book. If not for fresh produce etc, then the info is readily available all over the internet.

The points are also known as 'Calories'.

You work out how many points (or 'calories') you can have in a day and add them up.

There you go!
  • debmac2563
    debmac2563 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have never had any luck with WW or the points system, MFP is the best for me so far. the support and freindship side of things is a real motivator for me.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I did WW and switched to MPF too.

I find the tracking much easier and feel like my diet less restricked.
    When i was on WW I found myself only buying WW food so I knew what the point were and didn't having to calculate everything ... maybe I was just lazy in that way.

Don't get me wrong, I did lose nearly 30lb on WW and I do think it teaches good habits, but that could be because I was paying my hard earnt cash on it and felt like I was robbing myself if I didn't use it everyday.

But I think MFP has given me more freedom, and if I have an off day, I don't feel as guilty. The support & forums on here are much better too! And its free :happy: happy days.
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have done weight Watchers a couple of times and lost weight with it , (and put it back on )i found it very good at the time , but now i have found MFP i would never go back to WW again , i eat more on this plan than i ever did with WW and i am still loosing weight . Where i think WW has helped me is with the tracking as you get used to tracking your points every day and weighing everything , i now find it very easy to track and weigh my calories.xx And i feel for the first time that i will be able to maintain once i loose what i want to .x
  • tewmom
    tewmom Posts: 29
    Options
    I found MFP 46 days ago, did one week of both WW and MFP and quickly canceled my WW cancellation. MFP is so much easier. I feel like I am just living my life again, tracking calories and exercise. I was having no success with WW really hated the points system. The best bonus of MFP over WW, it's FREE!!!
  • liberty0624
    liberty0624 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have had success with WW in the past, but not with the new propoints system. I cancelled WW and came here, as I found I was just wasting my money. I am currently recording what I eat here and also converting it to WW points on the old system (kilo joules and saturated fat method). I'm actually finding the combination of the two is working for me.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    WW is terrible at the end of the day they are trying to SELL you something.

Have you ever eaten a weight watchers meal they are dreadful, devoid of flavour and you are left hungry after eating them.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I prefer MFP because it deals with actual macros, nutrients, calories, etc, instead of some dumb point system created by middle aged women.

correction... now very rich middle aged women!

anybody who is trying to make money selling a weight loss product/diet/program has a vested interest in obscuring the real truth and science behind losing weight. they want to make it as confusing as possible to the uninitiated, so that they can sell THEIR solution, which is GUARANTEED to work, for the LOW, LOW price of only $149.99.

my advice to anyone who would ask is: DO NOT TRUST anyone trying to sell you a magic cure for being overweight.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm a ww lifetime member, but switched to mfp for a few reasons. WW does teach good habits (food tracking, portion control, etc) but I find it easier to connect with like minded people on mfp. I'm into fitness and I don't think ww emphasizes it enough. I think they try to be gentle about pushing exercise so as not to scare people off, but that's a disservice imo. I didn't like having to figure out points. Straight up calories is easier and more straight forward. Plus this is free!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    MFP > all

This!
  • aprince77
    aprince77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Extra bonus .....Its FREE..... I love MFP
  • nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    To be honest, once I stopped using Weigt Watchers and switched over fully to MFP I have been at a crazy plateau. Not sure why, but just be prepared if you are switching things up that it might take awhile to get into the swing of things.