Weight Watchers vs. MFP

Options

Replies

• missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I joined WW in Jan of this year, not 2 days later I discovered MFP. Oops. I continued with WW (mainly because I paid for 16 weeks). I am so glad that I stayed with WW because I go to weekly meetings and get weighed-in and that keeps me accountable. I also learn from their meetings. Not once have they ever tried to sell me anything.
    But, I do not use their points system anymore. I found I wasn't losing like I wanted to. I struggled to eat all my points in the day (when I first started I was at 34 points I believe). I eat a lot of veggies and fruits which are 0 points so I had trouble.
    I love MFP because I can use my cell phone to log every day. I really like their iphone app.
    In my opinion, only use just MFP if you can keep yourself accountable, otherwise you'll be sitting at your computer late one night thinking "I'll just have one bowl of ice cream, just one." and the next thing you know you've gained 10 lbs back.
    I will continue to use both MFP and WW. It's working for me.

That is me to a T! Exactly:))
  • dutchman24
    dutchman24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was going to go back WW, but had this site recommended to me by my brother-in-law. I find it's more convenient ( & far cheaper ), I especially like the "friends" part...you're right, friends make a BIG differance.
  • gisele00
    gisele00 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've done WW before and yeah, it worked, but I didn't feel particularly healthy. I decided to cut out preservatives and try to eat more natural foods, which isn't something WW supports at all. Also, exercise helps me stay focused more than meetings. I like MFP because there is no pressure to eat pre-packaged poisons, it's FREE, and there are so many helpful accountability buddies! I'm MFP all the way!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is a calorie controlled diet by Heinz to promote Heinz products

MFP is a calories control diet for everything
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I came off jenny Craig onto MFP and I find I like having more control over my diet.

Me too! I hated Jenny Craig! I was always starving!
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I started with WW but not the online version, actually going to meeting and lost the first 40 lbs I needed to lose that way. I never felt like I was being pushed to buy packaged processed meals, actually felt like I was being encouraged to eat more nutrient packed meals. Our leader always shared which stores were having sales on fruits and veggies, who had chicken or fish on sale. Low points value recipes that were easy to prepare were frequently shared as well. Maybe it was just the group I was in and our leader were younger(upper 20's to 50's)? One girl was training for a 5k, everybody shared fitness tips. I don't think I could have done it entirely without the physical support that year( Major illness in the family) and some people on here were saying something about weighing in front of everyone..sort of, but the only ones who saw the actual # at our meetings were the leader or receptionist(all former WW members at goal) not everyone. That being said, I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing WW meetings locally, but WW online, this is better. I am having better weight loss here, but that is because I really amped up the exercise recently..main reason I am not going to go to WW meetings anymore, I want the $$ for Zumba and other classes.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I did get sick and tired of calculating everything into WW points.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    MFP, for sure. You're going to get real information from people who care about losing weight, adding lean muscle, and learning how to eat for fuel, not for calorie intake.

I have heard many negative stories about WW as well, especially that they don't care about your health, just how many calories in and out.

I'd much rather have a full whole foods meal and be satisfied than try and eat their processed crap and get it in under a certain calorie limit. No way.

Also, being diabetic, I really hate their stance on "eat all the fruit you want, it doesn't count" mentality. Yes, it does count, thanks. Sugar is sugar is sugar, imo.
  • CooperA1979
    CooperA1979 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I lost just over 3 stone on the old WW plan between May 2010 - December 2010 and loved the plan. When they introduced the new PP plan and fruit became zero points I found it a lot harder to keep my weight off.

So, I have gained an unwanted 10lbs through being complacent but having switched to MFP I am confident that those pounds will be gone in no time.

I find the variety of food I am eating now is far better than before and I am more concious of the health benefits of what I am eating rather than going for lower pointed options! Amazing when you calorie count some fruits how much of your daily allowance they take up when on WW they are considered zero PP and not part of your daily allowance.

Also, I have to say it is a great community on here and eveyrone is so friendly and helpful.

So, for me it's MFP ALL THE WAY!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that I found MFP ! And the best part is that it's free ;-)

WW isn't free :-/ and honestly I didn't have good success on WW after they switched over to the points programs :ohwell:
    I originally joined WW back when you counted bread, fruit, protein, fat, veggies, dairy,etc. and had lost 30 something pounds.

Maybe WW should re-think and go back to what worked and wasn't broken :wink:
  • Thickasgrits760
    Thickasgrits760 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did WW and Lost 70 pounds gained 40 pounds back with pregnacy. I like MFP because it's free. You can't bet that.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    MFP because I don't have time for weight watchers and would feel a bit too exposed. Having plucked up the courage to publish my diary to friends on MFP I find it keeps me on track as people can comment on my diet! I LOVE food and would therefore find WW restrictive. I also like seeing other people's diaries to get some ideas about how to vary things. I have a lot of weight to lose and will need to stick to this for a year or longer so fingers crossed!
  • sunflowerkids
    Options
    I agree with you 100%.
    As a lifetime WW member, I have returned a couple of times to try to get back to my goal weight. WW doesn't seem care much about returning lifetime members. You don't even get rewards for your weight loss unless you go up and make sure you tell the instructor.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    MFP > all

Strong this
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people pay for WW or anything like that when you have sites like MFP for free.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why so many people knock WW as restrictive or pushing packaged meals. That was not my experience with them at all. I did WW for a year and a half. I don't think I could have lost that first 40 without the meetings and the accountability and support at meetings. I ate almost exactly the way I do now on MFP. I may actually be eating just a bit more bread now actually. I never did WW on anything but Points Plus and the fruit and veggies being "free" is what made me successful to start with as I was getting into the healthful part. I weighed 251 when I joined WW and I really don't think at that point MFP would have been successful for me. I am down to 205 and only now am feeling ready to switch to MFP. If it wasn't for needing to find $$ for ZUmba classes and the Gym now, I would never stop WW. It does work, if you work it. Just like MFP works, if you work it.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing WW..and well..I really like it. I think there are benefits to both. *prepares for stoning*
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I did WW when it was on the old points system, and I did really well. I haven't tried the new point system. I think they're both good. :)
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both. I count my calories here, and I also calculate my points. When I have money/time I'll start doing meetings but right now I'm going rogue and using a calculator app.

Only been going for about a week so haven't really noticed much difference yet, but we'll see :)