Did Matthew McConaughey go too far for new role?

Options
Hellbent_Heidi
Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
What do you guys think? He's playing an AIDS patient in his next movie and reportedly has lost 30 lbs for the role....

tdy_chat_mccon_121009.video-260x195.jpg

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Hello Tom Hanks about 20 years ago.

Welcome to Philadelphia.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Tom Hanks did it and won an Academy Award for it.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale in The Machinist was the most extreme example of damaging a body for a movie role I have ever seen.
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg
  • ILYJRBJNB
    Options
    My first thought was Philadelphia too...
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm sure once the movie is filmed and done he will go back to being his hunk of a man self.
  • ILYJRBJNB
    Options
    Christian Bale in that pic is horrifying. What was the role?
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

Yeah, but he's a good actor...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale in The Machinist was the most extreme example of damaging a body for a movie role I have ever seen.
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg

I've never heard of this movie... but it kinda looks awesome.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale did it also
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg

dude just did a nice cut so he could put back some lean mass in time for batman begins...
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg

It is awesome. What made Bale's transformation so insane is that he dropped down to 105 lbs (he's 6'2) for the role, then bulked back up to 220 lbs for Batman Begins 6 months later.

How he didn't die is beyond me.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale in that pic is horrifying. What was the role?

He played a man who never slept and who was starting to doubt his own sanity, thought people were out to get him.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg

It is awesome. What made Bale's transformation so insane is that he dropped down to 105 lbs (he's 6'2) for the role, then bulked back up to 220 lbs for Batman Begins 6 months later.

How he didn't die is beyond me.

And I try to claim I can't lose 15lbs *giggle*
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Bale is the master at this. He also did it for the Fighter to a lesser extent.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    “Christian Bale starved himself for over four months prior to filming, as his character needed to look drastically thin. Allegedly, his eating consisted of one cup of coffee and an apple (or a can of tuna) each day (approximately 275 calories, or 1.2 kilojoules).[2] According to the DVD commentary, he lost 28 kilograms (62 lb), reducing his body mass to 54 kilograms (120 lb). Bale wanted to go down to 45 kilograms (99 lb) but the filmmakers would not let him due to health concerns. He later regained the mass, plus an additional 18 kilograms (40 lb) through weightlifting and proper eating, in preparation for his role in Batman Begins.”

Yeah... I've already eaten more than that today :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    And I try to claim I can't lose 15lbs *giggle*
    Yeah...but if we were making $15 million (or whatever it is) to lose weight, I bet motivation would take on a whole new meaning! :ohwell:

I do wonder what kind of lasting effects these dramatic transformations will have on these guys....
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Actors do that all of the time... He's going to be fine, and if not, he's rich enough he can go get fixed.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that all Bale ate for weeks was a can of tuna and a granny smith apple a day to drop the weight, what a shame it never became a fad diet, it worked well.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    No wonder Bale is so moody. I'd be an effing witch if I ate only that for......well a day.