Did Matthew McConaughey go too far for new role?

Options

Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    No wonder Bale is so moody. I'd be an effing witch if I ate only that for......well a day.
    Right???
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale in The Machinist was the most extreme example of damaging a body for a movie role I have ever seen.
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg

I've never heard of this movie... but it kinda looks awesome.
    It is awesome. What made Bale's transformation so insane is that he dropped down to 105 lbs (he's 6'2) for the role, then bulked back up to 220 lbs for Batman Begins 6 months later.

How he didn't die is beyond me.

The Machinist is an incredible flick. And his cut/bulk during that period was mind-blowing.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale in that pic is horrifying. What was the role?

You're really pretty.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think any actor that does this is rediculous. Going back and forth on weight like that cannot possibly be good for your health. I've heard of actors, though, that have done this multiple times. Once is too much. Get at a healthy weight and just stay there.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options
    I'm just sad for McConaughey's abs. :cry: ...or lack thereof...
  • HarleyQuinn_12
    HarleyQuinn_12 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Came into this post and all I ended up seeing was Batman. I may have a serious addiction.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Seriously!! Its a shocking thing for someone who is known more for his abs than for his acting skills. It will be interesting to see how soon he returns to his former self after this (I'm not really sure if this one is filming right now or what...)
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Jared Leto gained a large amount of weight for a role and was reportedly in a wheel chair by the end of filming Chapter 27.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

I know! What happened to the man I've always wanted to play the bongos with naked??? Haha

The Christian Bale thing is insane. Kinda shocked it didn't kill him. I remember seeing the Machinist on DVD and Batman the next. Mind=Blown. It couldn't accept they were the same person.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Me too :( His body is always the pic I post in the 'What kind of body do women like" threads :cry:

I will choose to imagine he still looks like this:

blog_matthew_mcconaughey_surfing_line_01.jpg
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options

^^^^ THIS!!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Not sure how it's going too far..

Actors do this all the time for roles. Once the movie is done, he will get back to where he's always been known to be.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Christian Bale in The Machinist was the most extreme example of damaging a body for a movie role I have ever seen.
    180px-BaleMachine.jpg
    totally agree!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I don't think so. What about Renee Zellwegger gaining weight for Bridget Jones' Diary? They all fluctuate for their roles as needed.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    He was quoted saying "I'm drinking a lot of tea. It takes a while for your body to understand that it has to feed off of itself and that you're not going to give it something else from the outside."

Very unhealthy & dangerous, but I think it's safe to assume he has some professional medical staff on hand.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    if i made that kind of money i woud do it :) it would give me more self motivation for sure!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    No. Actors do stuff like this all the tome. Christian Bale bulked up for Batman Begins, then lost an absurd amount of weight for The Machinest (he says he ate only an apple and a tuna fish sandwich every day while filming). Then he turned around and put all the weight back on for The Dark Knight. Renee Zellweger did the same thing. Put on 30lbs for Bridget Jone's Diary, lost it all for another film (Chicago, I think) and then put all the weight back on for the Bridget Jones sequel.

It's just part of being an actor. Your body is your instrument, and you have to mold and use it to fit the part. Meaning if you're playing an AIDS patient, you need to look like one. Once you become a working actor, you give up certain rights to you body, in a way. Actors aren't allowed to cut their hair without consulting the director and costume designer, for instance. It's the way the industry works.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    If I was paid as much as these actors are I'd do it. I'm sure they have a full staff of nutritionists and trainers working with them as well.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I think any actor that does this is rediculous. Going back and forth on weight like that cannot possibly be good for your health. I've heard of actors, though, that have done this multiple times. Once is too much. Get at a healthy weight and just stay there.

That may work for you and me Amber, but actors are from a different planet. We like to see them in different roles so they make tons of adjustments, as needed, to those roles. They have nutritionist, doctors, trainers, cooks, and what ever they need; specially lots of money.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    This movie must be a romantic comedy but I'm just not seeing how