Did Matthew McConaughey go too far for new role?

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I think any actor that does this is rediculous. Going back and forth on weight like that cannot possibly be good for your health. I've heard of actors, though, that have done this multiple times. Once is too much. Get at a healthy weight and just stay there.

That may work for you and me Amber, but actors are from a different planet. We like to see them in different roles so they make tons of adjustments, as needed, to those roles. They have nutritionist, doctors, trainers, cooks, and what ever they need; specially lots of money.
    I'm curious though...are these "nutritionalists" and trainers really concerned with the actors health, or just raking in a big paycheck of their own?

Hollywood nutritionalists (like producers, managers, etc) are probably not among the most ethical their profession....
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    People in many different occupations sacrifice optimal health for their job.

For instance I'm a professional king crab fisherman and on my fishing boat you never know when the next catch will be your deadliest
  • rdoherty1124
    Options
    Wahlberg did it for the Sixth Sense cameo....I think it's probably hard on the body and very unhealthy but hey I guess the price was right?
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    literally JUST read an article/slideshow on actors losing/gaining for roles...
    http://www.listal.com/list/going-skinny
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    WTF?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hello Tom Hanks about 20 years ago.

Welcome to Philadelphia.

Yep
  • SairMadam
    Options
    The Machinist if a BRILLIANT film...anyway who hasn't seen it should make the time to

shocking trasnformation though,hard to believe one guy can change their body so much in six months

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/storage/pics/09/baleweight.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRzLeK6LXOx38VZLlQG4OjSedqMxYF02_kR_pp7YZSvFeho9XnmLhnrRoS
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Wahlberg did it for the Sixth Sense cameo....I think it's probably hard on the body and very unhealthy but hey I guess the price was right?

oooh i forgot about that one! Donnie was in the movie for what, 2 minutes?
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he's getting lots of help for this. I'm not worried. He can do whatever he wants with his body. Besides, it's not like he isn't getting a pretty penny for this role.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I think any actor that does this is rediculous. Going back and forth on weight like that cannot possibly be good for your health. I've heard of actors, though, that have done this multiple times. Once is too much. Get at a healthy weight and just stay there.

That may work for you and me Amber, but actors are from a different planet. We like to see them in different roles so they make tons of adjustments, as needed, to those roles. They have nutritionist, doctors, trainers, cooks, and what ever they need; specially lots of money.
    I'm curious though...are these "nutritionalists" and trainers really concerned with the actors health, or just raking in a big paycheck of their own?

Hollywood nutritionalists (like producers, managers, etc) are probably not among the most ethical their profession....

You could say the same thing about NFL players....yet it's the most watched program on television. Everyone has a safety and pain threshhold that's individual to them. Wheather it's financial, or emotional.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Watched his movie Sunday, A Time to Kill, he is so sexy! But actors today will push the boundaries to step outside themselves to portray a character. Most whom have done so are Oscar worthy. He is far overdue for a descent role to accumulate the top nominee for award season. We shall see.....
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
  • rhazelwood
    rhazelwood Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No wonder Bale is so moody. I'd be an effing witch if I ate only that for......well a day.
    Right???

No kidding. I'd be a witch if that was all I ate for BREAKFAST. LOL!!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    No. Actors do stuff like this all the tome. Christian Bale bulked up for Batman Begins, then lost an absurd amount of weight for The Machinest (he says he ate only an apple and a tuna fish sandwich every day while filming). Then he turned around and put all the weight back on for The Dark Knight. Renee Zellweger did the same thing. Put on 30lbs for Bridget Jone's Diary, lost it all for another film (Chicago, I think) and then put all the weight back on for the Bridget Jones sequel.

It's just part of being an actor. Your body is your instrument, and you have to mold and use it to fit the part. Meaning if you're playing an AIDS patient, you need to look like one. Once you become a working actor, you give up certain rights to you body, in a way. Actors aren't allowed to cut their hair without consulting the director and costume designer, for instance. It's the way the industry works.

This exactly
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Do I think it's healthy? No.
    Would I do it for a couple million dollars? Yes.
  • DeckerDoll
    Options
    Matthew McConaughey is from the same hometown as me. That is all I have to say.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    50 Cent did it too. And he was terrifying.

50_cent_skinny_fiddy.jpeg
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Hollywood has personal personal trainers and ideticians to help actors/actresses get to a severe loss as healthy as possible. Anne Hathaway did this for th black swan, but she had to do a LOT. Of dancing so it was probably much easier
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    There are others that go the other direction put on a lot of muscle. Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne Johnson got crazy big for the new Pain and Gain movie coming out. I guess we just expect that from the action stars though.

Pain-And-Gain-Photo-Tournage-Dwayne-Johnson-09-187x250.jpg
    mark-wahlberg-pain-and-gain-image1.jpg

Im sure they have lots of doctors around them also. :tongue: