Cleaning. Do you or don't you log it and why?

Options

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Never! I only log real exercise…
  • TrixieMarie
    Options
    If your losing weight then count what ever you want to because what your doing is working so why mess with it. If your not, then take a better look at what your counting as exercise.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    no. i log only real exercise.
    do you log going up the stairs to bed? going down again in the morning? sitting on the toilet as a squat? getting up again as a second rep?
    This cracked me up! Thanks for the ideas LMAO
  • kpnive
    kpnive Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i count if I clean more than 2 hours! I also contemplated whether or not to stop counting my "commute walk" this is a total of 50 minutes of walking at around a 3.5 pace....I get a little sweaty (In BOTh activities). But the latter one is now part of my normal routine, what do you think should I stop counting it?

And agreed like most people - to each their own. I think another thing to factor in is the profile settings of if you are sedentary, etc. That has a lot to play in how things are calculated.
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Usually no, if it didn't contribute to my weight loss before it isn't helping me by logging it now. That being said if I were doing heavy duty cleaning. You know moving furniture and what not or say I helped a friend clean their house after I cleaned my own then yes I would count it. I would under estimate though. The amount of calories burned on here seems a bit high.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    To me daily life isn't exercise...so no, I don't count it. Spring cleaning, moving furniture washing windows...maybe. But not daily tasks like weekly cleaning, laundry, going to the market, etc.

Just my thoughts.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I used to, but now I only log it if I'm really working at it - like moving furniture and cleaning behind it.

I do log walking my dog - because if I'm out walking for 45 -90 minutes that IS a good burn. It just *happens* to be walking with my dog. She'd be so sad if I didn't take her with me!
  • Teko03
    Teko03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think logging things like cleaning and walking dogs or whatever just sets you up for failure. MFP overestimates calories burned anyway so if you log every little physical activity you do, plus eat those 'exercise calories' back, you're not going to lose, and you may even gain.

I personally only log what I set out to do as exercise. If I clean, I just count it as a little bonus like someone else said. :)

Agreed. Such activities aren't intense enough to consider logging anyway.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No, but then again I don't log any exercise because I'm using intake based off an exercise-inclusive estimate of TDEE.

That being said, I still wouldn't recommend that anyone log cleaning as an exercise. Cleaning is something you should be doing on somewhat of a semi-regular basis and as such it would fall under non exercise activity thermogenesis. NEAT should be somewhat factored into your activity level.
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yes I log it coz it takes me bloody ages to clean a 3 storey house properly!!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I log it only if it's something I don' t often - like really scrubbing my bathrooms (grout and all), washing all the windows in the house, getting on my hands an knees to clean the floors. If I work up a REAL sweat with an out-of-the-ordinary chore, I log it.

General stuff - nope. Dishes, vacuum, dusting, mopping, general bathroom sprucing, laundry - nopity-nope.
  • KimMaplesBaker
    Options
    I count it as light house cleaning, but only when i am at it for a nonstop period of time. For example, if I am up and down the stairs doing laundry, vacuuming, mopping the floor, etc. But the everyday pick up non stop ... nah. Like a couple of others have said, that is just a secret lil bonus for the day :)
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    No, I don't count that sort of stuff. For me, that falls under my activity levels and not as a workout.
  • WendyBlendy
    WendyBlendy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't log it - I count it as a secret "bonus" for myself because I eat the appropriate calories WITHOUT the cleaning and therefore have some wiggle room in there and potential to lose weight faster - if that makes sense.

The only time I logged something like this was when I did yardwork for an entire day and was soooo sore and tired afterwards that I figured I should eat back some of those calories lol.

That's what I do, but sometimes I'll log it in if I've been cleaning for like a half hour or something. Usually, though, it's a bonus for myself!! :)
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I don't count regular picking up and doing dishes and laundry and such.

I DO log when I do a very thorough vacuuming of my 2000+sq ft house that involves moving AND vacuuming all of the furniture (multiple couches and chairs), the stairs, 4 bedrooms, moving beds, etc. I do this about once every 10 days or so, and it takes me 2+ hours to do, so you're damn right I'm logging it. I didn't do this before when I was fat, because I didn't have 2 cats back then and have a need to get rid of the fur.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Never. I cleaned daily during the 5 years I was getting fat.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    No I do not log cleaning. It never helped me lose weight before so why would I log it now? I only log exercise at the gym.
  • KimMaplesBaker
    Options
    I also don't count my work activity, which could be counted. I just mark the extra workouts throughout the day.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Well, I work full time and have a desk job, so I clean the whole house--vacuuming, mopping, dusting scrubbing bath & shower,--I also do laundry and grocery shopping on Saturday. I do count it as it is my exercise on Saturday because I am doing something I don't do the rrest of the week and it does burn calories. I don't count washing dishes, picking up, etc. that I do on a daily basis.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log cleaning, but only a specific type. I registered as sedentary (desk job), so when I'm doing a lot of moving around - vacuuming and mopping for example - and working up a good sweat, I think it's a pretty good workout. I don't count putting away groceries or loading the dishwasher or wiping down counter-tops though.