Cleaning. Do you or don't you log it and why?

Options

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    One word. Fitbit

Same concept except Nike Fuel Band
  • jacynda6817
    Options
    I don't exactly log my cleaning, however, i do try to make sure I am getting at the very least 10,000 steps per day in. I recently got a Fitbit (a high end pedometer). It logs every step, every stair, how many calories burned, and how many miles you did for the entire day. I absolutely love it and my Fitbit automatically links to MFP account.

So technically it does log all the steps of my cleaning frenzy, but i've never actually put cleaning under cardio.

Side note nothing to do with the board, but we also go the Fitbit scale called Aria, LOVE it. Automatically loads my weight and body fat onto my computer so that i can track everything.
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't log it personally, because I feel it's something I normally do. Just like at work, I'm a nurse and I don't count all the running around I do because its counted in my TDEE already :)
  • Bibianna2012
    Bibianna2012 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would say its personal preference. If you are really sedentary and work from home on your butt all day for 8-10 hours like I do, it may be a psychological boost to track it, not so much to count as calories but to record that your were a little active. I do record my dog walking because its an effort to get them out there on a cold day. I don't record cleaning because I don't do too much of it!

I did look up sitting the other day and it wasnt in there...! LOL
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    No....'cause I never do it! Bwahahaha!
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I never thought about adding it and I probably won't. I will just consider it free bees...hahahahaha.
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    I set my fitness level to sedentary so when I have long cleaning sessions like cleaning bathrooms and floors I log it. Other than that I clean every day like most here, 4 kids/teenagers to do laundry for and tidy up.
    Some times when I didn´t make it to the pool or gym it feels better for me mentally. At least I have the impression that I did something. I know it is kind of cheating but it helps.
  • holographic
    Options
    I don't log it. It logs me!
    Beep>>> Time to go >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • mscolleen2003
    mscolleen2003 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a great idea... all of you come clean my house and then you could really get a workout and count the points ;) I'm just trying to help..lol
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I log it when I want more food or if it's a significant part of my day. For example, I don't log dishes but I do log it if I'm moving furniture to vacuum.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Nope, not unless that 'housework' involves sanding floors or painting walls or something super-vigorous...If cleaning didn't stop you getting fat don't bother logging it!!!
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I usually don't. But, I have done it this week. Because this week I am spending hours every day cleaning, scrubbing, and decluttering every room in my apartment. I have moved furniture, taken so far 3 trips to goodwill, and at least 8 bags of trash. I am still not done. I spent 2 days on one room. I still have a hall closet (it is a walk-in closet) and living room to do. So, yes I think it is exercise. I am exercising and using my muscles this week.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If I put my gym gear on and intend to work out then I log what I do, if I do it in my regular clothes it's just part of my life so I don't log it. Therefore I would never log things like cleaning or decorating etc.

That's not to say I wouldn't perhaps eat a little more on a day when I knew I'd done something MAJOR, and I don't mean an hour of cleaning, I mean lugging boxes all day moving house etc.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 40lbs since Feb. my exercise of choice is walking. I count it and I also count giving the house a good cleaning. Seems to be working so far.
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I usually don't. But, I have done it this week. Because this week I am spending hours every day cleaning, scrubbing, and decluttering every room in my apartment. I have moved furniture, taken so far 3 trips to goodwill, and at least 8 bags of trash. I am still not done. I spent 2 days on one room. I still have a hall closet (it is a walk-in closet) and living room to do. So, yes I think it is exercise. I am exercising and using my muscles this week.

First off, good for you for getting so much decluttering done!! And to answer the post, I am the same way. If it is major cleaning, I log it but otherwise I don't.
  • Jennvandemark
    Jennvandemark Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't normally log cleaning the house but I recently moved and we had to clean our rental house top to bottom once all the furniture was out and I counted that as a work out. 3 story house and a kids play room where I had to get down on my hands a knees to scrub. Plus make the fridge and oven sparkle. The things you do to get that deposit back. That house was clearer then when we moved in, walls scrubbed and all. I counted that as a work out and I was sweating buckets while doing it. So I think if you work up a sweat cleaning then you can count it. Also the walking dog thing is because like what everyone else was saying MFP doesn't have 3.0 speed for walking so people have to use the one marked for walking a dog. I have used it.

But to each their own, if they want to count cleaning it doesn't bother me I don't know how non active they were before MFP so I don't want to judge. Heck they are moving and that's better then sitting and doing nothing.
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Only if it includes sweating- such as scrubbing the sink, toilet & tub, floors,walls or steam cleaning. If I'm just tidying, or doing dishes- nope.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    People on here log all kinds of "exercise". I've even seen someone log "standing on the river bank fishing for 2 hours" as exercise. I don't understand the practice of chalking up 1000 calories a day in "exercise". If it's part of your normal activities that you were doing before embarking on this weight loss journey, it's not making any more of a profound impact on your weight than it was before. So why track? It's like tweeting "I just put on my right sock".
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    I only log it when it is the kind that makes me sweat, I don;t count the dishes, laundry and cooking. Only stuff like sweeping, vacuuming, mopping and scrubbing the damn showers! Anyone got any tips on how to get the water marks off of clear shower screens? I already use plenty of elbow grease.....
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    If I'm just doing a general picking things up and straitening up then no. However if I do a more intense cleaning like others have outlined that I don't do everyday then I go ahead and log it. But I still don't consider that what makes or breaks my calorie intake, if I'm not going to work out that day I still try to keep my calories lower.