Cleaning. Do you or don't you log it and why?

Options

Replies

• rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I only log cleaning when it is spring cleaning type of activity. Where I'm on the floor with a scrub brush or REALLY scrubbing all day kinda thing. Hard work where you are sore at the end of the day.
  • kpnive
    kpnive Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I never log an exercise so i can eat back my calories i worked hard burning. hell to the no!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I do not log cleaning. Unless it's a full on spring/fall clean the house out kind of cleaning. I just don't think it's necessary to log everyday cleaning.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't log cleaning, it didn't stop me getting fat so it sure as hell won't help me to get thinner lol

^this.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't because its something undo everyday as my regular routine. I only log something that is above my normal activity.
  • DebraAukett
    DebraAukett Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I only log what I call exercise - I never say I'm going to exercise when I'm going to clean, so I don't log it that way either.
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at how judgmental a good number of you are.......

For sure there are those of us who can do the weekly housework in the blink of an eye because of our age, our fitness, our family situation or our health. And why would you bother noting this as exercise because in general it isn't; you didn't break a sweat, you didn't huff and puff with the exertion and you generally breezed through the morning.

And for others, cleaning the house can be a major chore for all the same above reasons. And in these situations it's a real sense of achievement to successfully complete even one chore and noting it on your exercise diary is an easily seen achievement reminder. Some health conditions that inhibit active participation at gyms or going for brisk walks are arthritis or similar agility problems, asthma and breathing difficulties, depression and anxiety, limb amputations, Agoraphobia, obesity, old age and many, many more.

In general my exercise is walking and I've built myself up to a distance of about 3km - I try to do this about 3 times a week. But some weeks I am unable to go any further than the end of the driveway because of my arthritic knee. So when I've been able to lux the whole house ignoring the pain and discomfort in my knee, then I do note it down on my exercise diary. Or when I've spent 2 or 3 hours of an afternoon doing baking (creaming the butter and sugar by hand) and then I make tea for the family and I'm tired and exhausted then I figure I've spent effort doing this so I'll put a couple of hours of cooking down in my diary. I don't put the FULL amount of time I take doing any chore - I usually put 1 or 2 hours. It really is just a token but it makes me feel as though I am a contributing human being - contributing to my own weightloss program.
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    NO unless its VIGORIOUS. Like scrubbing or constant bendoing and weighted like moving (ugh I hate moving). Washing dishes does really burn calories lol unless its for like 3 hours of standing
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just thought I'd ask the question, for no particular reason to be honest other that curiosity :)

I personally don't log it as I clean throughout the whole day picking up after me and the little one, washing the pots just after they've been used etc so I don't see the point in logging it :)
    The only time I do clean for probably 30 minutes straight is when I have to clean up after the other half in the morning lol

How about you?

No, it's ridiculous. I wish I can expand upon my opinion but that really sums it up. Logging of exercise calories, eating back exercise calories in general just seems silly to me. Eat at TDEE and don't worry about the small stuff.
    WHAT IS A TDEE??????
  • mileah67
    Options
    I think you would consider this "logged" when you select your overall activity level, which sets your daily burn!
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I will log it when I work overnights (the first 2 hours of the shift is cleaning the facility), but when I'm home during the day, I don't log it.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I don't count it because it would be different every time and it would be a pain to figure out and it gives you a bit of wiggle room for any miscalculations .
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Normal housework? No.

The kind of cleaning I do before my inlaws visit, where I'm climbing ladders to clean the ceiling fan blades and moving the couch to vacuum under it? Yes. Mowing the lawn? Yes. Shoveling snow? Yes.

I used to get my inlaws to come and help do the cleaning & preparation regularly when we were doing lots of entertaining. Since F-i-L got great at doing my hoovering for me, it means I no longer feel the need to tidy up before they arrive. Oops...!

On topic - no, I don't log cleaning. But I don't log any exercise. I have my calories set to what's appropriate and working for me, and try to stick to that.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do for two reasons, I choose not to eat back my exercise calories so it makes no difference in that regard and because logging it motivates me to clean more. Sometimes when I clean I don't immediately see the results I'd like (the hazards of living with two teenagers!) but logging it gives me an immediate reward.

Even if I did eat back my exercise calories I probably wouldn't eat those calories because really it is part of every day life so I don't count those as extra calories burned.

Shua
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    No, but that's mostly because I don't clean. :/
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    To log or not to log is a personal choice. That said, if it is part of your everyday life, whether at home or at work, it is not exercise.......and wearing a pedometer, fitbit, or any other device while doing it doesn't magically make it exercise either.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    No, I don't. I don't know but cleaning is just such an "everyday life" kinda thing and I figure that things like that will be included in your daily calorie burn?! Otherwise, where would I draw the line? Sometimes I need to walk 10 minutes from my car to my home, sometimes I don't. Would that count as exercise, too? So, nope, don't log it. I'd only do it if, say, I was moving and had to clean the entire apartment floor to ceiling in a day.
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    No I don't because it's part of my normal day. If I do extra stuff that is not the everyday norm then I will add it. I feel that I have been doing the same household stuff all the time no matter what size I was so it's the extra exercise I am doing that is helping me lose the weight.
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    I do not. I clean often (I have 4 kids and a dog to keep up after) so I feel like it's just part of everyday living. I did log it 1 time when I spent hours moving furniture including 2 sofas alone and shampooing carpets, etc. I only logged 30 min and not the entire session.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i do sometimes...
    im 23, i was a student untill last year, i can only live in two states... OCD tidy, everything ordered and sorted clothes arranged by colour and usage (formal/casual), books and dvds alphabetical, that kind of thing... OR absolute bomb site... so when i clean it goes from not even sure a floor exists in my room to you wouldnt want to set foot in here for fear of putting something out of place...That kind of tidying takes an entire day and a lot of sweat :| lol
    so i count those days :D
    x