Cleaning. Do you or don't you log it and why?

Options

Replies

• JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't. I cleaned my house before and I got fat, why would I log it in as my workout? It didn't do any good before! :wink:

^^^^^^^ THIS!!

Very good point.

Exactly!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The only time I log exercise is when I really exercise. Took a walk, went for run, lifted some weights, etc. I think we all burn those little bits of calories all day that we don't account for, and that can give us a bit of a bonus at the end of the day, for those 100 calories we went over.... ; )
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    No, I cleaned when I was fat, I still clean now. I only log the exercise I didn't do when I was fat, the other stuff is just what needs doing to live a normal life.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning because I do it every week.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    not the everyday cleaning, actually just no, not even the 3day monthly cleans =), its good enough knowing that I've done ALL of that
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. That's part of my daily activity.
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Nope not usually....I consider it to be built in to my normal activity level...the only exception being if we are doing major deep cleaning that involves moving furniture or large items and takes more than 4-5 hours.
  • mercymarque
    Options
    Personally I don't log it... if your a janitor for a living it's work. I'm sure you burn calories cleaning and cooking but it can't be that significant. And if your not doing anything else and eating back calories and not losing your probably setting urself up for failure. Just my opinion.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've decided to quit logging it and only log deliberate workouts. Any other activity will be a bonus.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I just saw a Ziplock commercial that said cleaning is healthy as it burns calories. The bf looked at me and said, see, there is another reason to clean!

HA! I don't think so. I date you because you are clean. If I were to clean, there would be no reason for us. :p
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I don't log it, unless it's something BIG, like hanging wallpaper or redecorating -- which really isn't cleaning, but I log it that way.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    When I was out of town helping my ailing parents I logged house cleaning as it was nearly the only exercise I got. Generally, though I don't since I workout a lot. I think of it as my secret burned calories.
  • Countryslove
    Options
    I don't log cleaning as exercise. I also consider it an added bonus.
    I also don't log going shopping with my husband who is about a foot taller than I am and sometimes to keep up with him I am practically running lol
  • beccannes
    Options
    Anything that is part of your normally daily job or routine you shouldn't log. Including cleaning. :) The system automatically accounts for that.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Not enough time spent cleaning in any given day to even bother :wink:
    With all but one child grown, moved out and no longer creating dirty laundry and dishes in this household, it takes maybe all of 30 minutes a day to maintain an acceptable level of clean here. My husband and our 17yo sone share the chores so it really takes nothing.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I only log it if I have spent a lot of time cleaning, otherwise it's just not worth the bother really.
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If it isn't something I do EVERY DAY, then it is extra activity. Maybe extra activity isn't "excercise" exactly, but it is something more than your daily activity level so I feel it should be counted as something and "excercise" is the only option. I don't log cooking, laundry, sweeping the floor or doing the dishes, but I don't scrub toilets, showers or floors every day (sorry if that grosses you out but I don't think daily scrubbing is necessary and I don't have time to do it every day). When I DO clean the bathrooms and seriously clean the floors then it takes me a couple of hours and I get sweaty doing it.

I have my daily activity level set at sedentary, because I work 3 part-time jobs 2 of which are desk jobs. If I'm working in an office then I don't have much actual activity in the day, but when I'm teaching (I'm a substitute teacher) I don't increase my activity level just for that day, that is my bonus.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I don't log it...i only log what I call purposeful exercise...

that means i only log what i consider my "exercise" routine...anything and everything else i consider part of my day to day burn....

that being said...over the past year...my mobility and movement quotient has drastically changed so I could probably move myself from sedentary to lightly active...the only reason why i haven't is because i DO work an 8 hour a day desk job...

however I do make a point of moving around a lot in that job too...so...i dunno...
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    I don't count my cleaning unless I break a sweat... which is rare! I do however use that as my go to when I do something strenuous and have no idea what to count it for. For example two weeks ago I started a huge project of removing my whirlpool tub, taking out the carpet and refinishing the hardwood floors. Very hard work for three days straight... definately broke a sweat and stuck to it for eight to ten hours a day! I just logged it as light cleaning because who the heck knows what it really was. *shrug. But I lost some weight even though I didn't go to the gym and my house looks beautiful now:happy:
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Since I have a cleaning lady, I rarely count any cleaning. Regular upkeep (making beds, dishes, wipe-downs, vacuuming, laundry, taking out the garbage) doesn't gets counted. If I take extra steps cleaning, Fitbit will catch them and make an "adjustment".