Should I wait?

Options
jkrim941
jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
I am 30 and divorced. I didn't think I would want to marry again, but I met someone that is a great match and can see it, even though I am still mildly terrified of marriage.

He, however, says he is completely committed to me in every way and thinks that dating for 5 years is not long enough of a time to be thinking about getting married. Maybe 7 or 10 years. At that point I will be almost 40 and having a family will be pretty much a pipe dream. He told me last night that 1. I'm not committed enough because when he tells me I am not committed enough, I try to defend myself (it really is hurtful to be told that) and 2. He never ever wants a kid ever and he will not budge on this issue ever and 3. He wants to marry me and only me. If we don't get married he probably would never get married.

He has said that our relationship lacks communication skills, but we talk about every little (and big) thing constantly. It's a constant analyzation of what we're doing and how it could be improved.

It seems to me that he is all over the board with this one. Do I give in and wait, because I do love him and we do have a really great partnership and if I feel this way, I would be kind ebough to wait until he is ready. Or do I re-evaluate the thought of having a family and if it is really what I want for my life and possibly part ways?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I am 30 and divorced. I didn't think I would want to marry again, but I met someone that is a great match and can see it, even though I am still mildly terrified of marriage.

He, however, says he is completely committed to me in every way and thinks that dating for 5 years is not long enough of a time to be thinking about getting married. Maybe 7 or 10 years. At that point I will be almost 40 and having a family will be pretty much a pipe dream. He told me last night that 1. I'm not committed enough because when he tells me I am not committed enough, I try to defend myself (it really is hurtful to be told that) and 2. He never ever wants a kid ever and he will not budge on this issue ever and 3. He wants to marry me and only me. If we don't get married he probably would never get married.

He has said that our relationship lacks communication skills, but we talk about every little (and big) thing constantly. It's a constant analyzation of what we're doing and how it could be improved.

It seems to me that he is all over the board with this one. Do I give in and wait, because I do love him and we do have a really great partnership and if I feel this way, I would be kind ebough to wait until he is ready. Or do I re-evaluate the thought of having a family and if it is really what I want for my life and possibly part ways?

He doesn't want a child but you want one?

Two words:

Move on.

If you want a child/family, you do not have to re-evaluate for some man.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Two words:

Move on.

THIS.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If five years isn't long enough for him, he has committment issues or else he really is just not that into you and he'll marry the next woman he dates. He's probably never going to marry you. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's what it sounds like.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Two words:

Move on.

Wise words..
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    He said he never wants kids. You do. When people tell you who they are, you should believe them.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'll go anti culture and say had my wife stated she never wanted kids, that would have been a deal breaker for us.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Move on.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    He said he never wants kids. You do. When people tell you who they are, you should believe them.

YES. He told you point blank. You won't change his mind.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options

So true. I have had too many friends think a man would "change" or "change his mind" for them. He said it. Believe him. And find someone who wants what you want. Don't sell yourself short on your core values!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You want kids. He doesn't.

People don't change things like that. Move on.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

Two words:

Move on.

That's the first thing that jumped out to me as well. Don't settle for him since it means you won't get what you want
  • xoTammyox
    xoTammyox Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Leave
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    After five years he should be ready to marry you. Don't settle. If you want a child, move on. Someone better is waiting on the horizon for you :smile:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    dtmfa
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    7 to 10 years before someone knows if they want to get married? Seriously?!? Yea, not sure it should take that long. Plus, you want kids, he doesn't. Seems to me like you have the answer, but want someone else to give it to you.
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I've misread this but it sounds like he's throwing some mixed messages at you. "You're the only one I want" but "not right now." That's hurtful. And then for him to tell you that you're the one who's not committed? That sounds like he's being emotionally manipulative, making you feel guilty for wanting something - like if you behave yourself (i.e. act more committed) then he'll reward you (i.e. marry you). Let him go figure out his head and you keep pursuing your dream - a family.
  • ewl6850
    ewl6850 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    He want's to date for 10 years, but thinks YOU have commitment issues? Dump him. Especially with the kids issue. Not worth your time.

The happiest married couple I know is my parents, after 25 years, they dated for 6 weeks before becoming engaged, and were only engaged 9 months. If it takes 10 years to know, you'll never be sure.
  • sassygamma
    sassygamma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    5 years is not enough???? he doesn't want kids?? you do, i say move on sister............. Do not compromise what you want for a man, i understand you love him, but think of it this way, in 2 to 4 years you will be 40 or so, and that is going to happen with or without him, but with him you have no chance of what YOU want a child. Think of yourself and your needs, sounds to me that you are willing to compromise your dreams for a man who isn't willing to compromise for you!!! Good luck.....
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have different values and different definitions for "communication". It's likely you would also have very different expectations for your marriage. Don't waste your time trying to convince him to accept your values. Move on.
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else. If you really want a child and will be unfulfilled without one then move on. Dont waste your time trying to change something that may never change. He seems pretty wishy washy to me.