DON'T OVER-DO THE WATER--HERE'S WHY

Options

Replies

• jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Highly unlikely. People need to stop reading too much into science. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

And you know what? Your body has a natural defence - you'll crave salt if this imbalance starts. But this DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU NEED SALT EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU CRAVE IT. Don't read too much into that one either.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Some years ago I ended up in the hospital with this. I was not a long distance runner. I was fasting, and drank a couple gallons. Not fun. Not only is the sodium low, but I also had to get potassium. The reason is exactly what you see on this board - No one thinks it could be harmful. Right now, I have trouble getting in enough water, so I'm challenging myself to drink more of it. I think the lesson here is drink enough but not too much.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Highly unlikely. People need to stop reading too much into science.

I would argue that it's not reading ENOUGH into science that is the problem and cause of hysteria. Too much of anything is a bad thing by definition, this is scientifically true. It's peoples assumed definition of "too much" that leads to stupid.
  • bhfood
    bhfood Posts: 77
    Options
    this is a good link. ck'd it out. i'm a nurse and I heartily approve.
  • philshjips
    philshjips Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sure, it's medical fact and all that, but overconsumption of water seems a pretty rare thing to me. Most of the time i see dehydrated people who refuse anything that's not flavored and sugary.

Posting stuff like this is just going to discourage those people anymore. And some of the other posters are totally right: most people eat way too much sodium and need to drink all the water they can.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I can hear Judge Judy now, "Ridiculous!"

I drink about a gallon a day and have no fear whatsoever about water intoxification. It seems when it becomes an issue there are extenuating circumstances.
  • PNJB796
    PNJB796 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ...... and just when I had resolved to drink more water having just read

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/metabolism.htm (full text)

Finally, dehydration can contribute to an inefficient metabolism, by affecting body temperature. When you are dehydrated, your body temperature drops slightly, and causes your body to store fat as a way to help raise or maintain the temperature. Making sure you drink enough liquids, preferably at least 64 ounces of water per day, to avoid this metabolic pitfall. (precis)

Now I have to make another damn choice!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    WOW!! It's a good thing this was posted, because I could have DIED!!!! I drink A LOT of water, like 9 WHOLE glasses a DAY!!! I thought I was doing the right thing, but now I'm not so sure!! It's a good thing I know now!! We all know that Knowing is Half the Battle!!

tumblr_lk2h5f2ShY1qj5mhao1_500.jpg
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    WOW!! It's a good thing this was posted, because I could have DIED!!!! I drink A LOT of water, like 9 WHOLE glasses a DAY!!! I thought I was doing the right thing, but now I'm now so sure!! It's a good thing I know now!! We all know that Knowing is Half the Battle!!

I love you
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    WOW!! It's a good thing this was posted, because I could have DIED!!!! I drink A LOT of water, like 9 WHOLE glasses a DAY!!! I thought I was doing the right thing, but now I'm now so sure!! It's a good thing I know now!! We all know that Knowing is Half the Battle!!

I love you

Well...hello :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    QUICK EVERYONE STOP BREATHING! IT CAUSES CANCER!!!!!

http://humancure.com/breathing-causes-cancer-new-research/

:laugh:
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options

LMAO. Well for those of us who don't drink anything but water (unless it's tea or coffee <
    Also contains water!), we're screwed eh?
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

everything causes cancer these days.

better stop living or you could die.
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    There is already enough confusion on here- but a half-assedly posted link warning not to overdo the water isn't helpful, what ever your intention.

For the rest of us, let's think about this- Did you notice that "DRINKING TOO MUCH WATER" was not on the list of CAUSES? It has to do with the Sodium to water balance, according to the article.

Quoted:
    Causes of hyponatremia include:

•Burns

•Congestive heart failure

•Diarrhea

•Diuretic medications, which increase urine output

•Kidney diseases

•Liver cirrhosis

•Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH)

•Sweating

•Vomiting
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    :noway: :huh:
  • KalieHudson
    KalieHudson Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I try to drink a gallon of water a day and sometimes don't make it cause that's ALOT of water. But to get this you have to down a ton of water....
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    wow, this is so important and so scary the best you can muster is to put a link with no overview, s'cuse me while I go finish off my gallon of water while I ponder the sheer silliness of this thread

^^^THIS^^^^
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Seems legit...will not drink water for the rest of today! Thank you for putting fear of water on my list...
    hahahaahahahaahahaahaahaahah your answer MADE MY DAY!!!!thank you!
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Yeah, whatever.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    35ezfj.jpg
    ^^