1400 cal diet - I'm a boy and other questions

Options
1235»

Replies

• nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't really have much to add accept that tall, lean AND slightly muscular is TEH HOT on a bloke, so do that :)

In other words, up the calories (including more protein) and do some light lifting and you will shed the last couple of kilos slowly and slowly while keeping LBM
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Do you realize in that short period of time, you lost 7 lbs of lean body mass?

Starting LBM = 168 - (168 * .25) = 126
    Current LBM = 140 - (140 * .15) = 119

25% of your weight loss was from lbm, I would say that is bad. Also, you lost amost a lb a week from lbm. Now, some might be water, but it's either muscle, tissue, bone density, etc... Wouldn't you rather just lose fat?

Below is an image from an exercise physiology textbook that someone included in another post:
    Here's typical weight loss, per my exercise physiology textbook.
    percentweightloss.jpg

I did a search on Google to figure out where the image originated, and it comes from Exercise Physiology Nutrition, Energy and Human Performance, Seventh Edition, by William D. McArdle, Frank I. Katch and Victor L. Katch of Katch-McArdle BMR formula fame.

It would seem, at least according to these professors of nutrition and kinesiology, that loss of lean body mass during extended caloric restriction is the norm and is to be expected.

When you wrote above "25% of your weight loss was from lbm, I would say that is bad. " is your complaint that ANY loss of lean body mass is bad, or that 25% is bad? According to McArdle and the Katches a 15% lean body mass loss would be expected. I'll grant you that 25% is quite a bit more than 15%.

If you are aware of scientific studies that show that one can achieve a substantial loss of body weight while maintaining lean body mass, please point me in the direction of those studies. I'd like to read them.

I'm not being sarcastic or facetious. I'm truly interested in reading them.