LOL @ Planet Fitness

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    This is crazy if you ask me. All real strength coaches, not NASM and whatever other BS trainer org's exist, believe in doing deadlifts. What is so appauling of the deadlift? Do they let people do full power-cleans, snatches, and BB rows? If so then the weight is hitting the floor so who cares?Just have people sign a liability waiver if they want to deadlift and call it a day, it's ridiculous. Those New Years resolution folks and people that come tool-around won't last long anyway once they're tired and/or frustrated of doing what they're doing.

Oh and to whomever countered a comment with saying some of those idiots have bigger guns than you is such an irrelevant comment pertaining to strength and fitness. Upper arm size says very little about overall strength. Most of the time it really means some combination of, HGH, IGF-1, <insert steroid name here>, Arimidex, Insulin, and far too many bicep curls to serve any real purpose.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    I don't know anything about Planet Fitness, but based on the attitudes of the people bashing it, it seems like a good place to go to get away from them. I don't want people judging me as unattractive and fat while I'm working on changing that!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    I don't know anything about Planet Fitness, but based on the attitudes of the people bashing it, it seems like a good place to go to get away from them. I don't want people judging me as unattractive and fat while I'm working on changing that!

EXACTLY!
  • JNick77

Why do people think that guys deadlifting or whatever are judging you? I've never met a "big" guy that is focused on his training that sits around and judges people that aren't as strong as he. Honestly, the biggest *kitten* that I've ever seen in the gym are the bodybuilder types that sit around and focus on their arms and pat each other on the *kitten*. The real lifters just want to get in and get out and don't care about anybody else around them. I have nothing but respect for people that come and work hard regardless of what they look like.
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member

!!!
  • TylerJ76

Why do people think that guys deadlifting or whatever are judging you? I've never met a "big" guy that is focused on his training that sits around and judges people that aren't as strong as he. Honestly, the biggest *kitten* that I've ever seen in the gym are the bodybuilder types that sit around and focus on their arms and pat each other on the *kitten*. The real lifters just want to get in and get out and don't care about anybody else around them. I have nothing but respect for people that come and work hard regardless of what they look like.

I think that she was referring to quite a few people in here, bashing PF and the types of people that work out there..
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    IMO....The one I have walked into in my town is a complete joke....80% of people have no clue what they were doing(even on the machines!) But if that is the market they target. so be it.

That is not only Planet Fitness where people do exercises wrong. I've been to other gyms -- NON PF gyms -- where I saw people doing things wrong. It's called a lack of education and just not asking how to do things.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    IMO....The one I have walked into in my town is a complete joke....80% of people have no clue what they were doing(even on the machines!) But if that is the market they target. so be it.

That is not only Planet Fitness where people do exercises wrong. I've been to other gyms -- NON PF gyms -- where I saw people doing things wrong. It's called a lack of education and just not asking how to do things.
    Well the PF types seem to be the penny pinchers who are too afraid of commitment (which u need to get into shape anyways) and are so appalled when you recommend them working with a trainer....Yeah, why would you pay for valuable information???

Yikes; I think I'll ruffle some feathers here. :grumble:
  • JNick77

I think that she was referring to quite a few people in here, bashing PF and the types of people that work out there..

Unfortunately the comments get directed at the people that don't know what they're doing when it really should be directed at the owner's of PF. Banning DL's is seriously ridiculous and they need to worry more about the *kitten* that are rude and are too lazy to re-rack their weights properly, and return DB's to the right place. If they want to take it a step further then ban cut-off shirts and tank-tops as well as women's sports tops that expose their entire midsection and invite men to stare and make overweight women feel inadequate. DL's is like a scapegoat or something... DL's are the Lee Harvey Oswald of the gym experience.
  • TylerJ76

Well the PF types seem to be the penny pinchers who are too afraid of commitment (which u need to get into shape anyways) and are so appalled when you recommend them working with a trainer....Yeah, why would you pay for valuable information???

You've been to 1 PF, yet you know everything about everyone that works out there?

I would LOVE to have you as a trainer. (Sarcasm, in case you couldn't pick up on that)
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member

A lot of gyms are like that. Regardless of brand.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    But let's not let people do one of the most effective and functional lifts known to man-kind? But encourage poor eating habits?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member

Seriously dude? Do I look like I'm "afraid of commitment"? I work my *kitten* off at the gym. I lift heavy, do hard cardio and I leave there feeling completely spent and exhausted. Yes, the fee for the gym is cheap and sure that attracts people but not every person who goes there are lazy.

For the record I've been to a "regular" gym and I have seen PT's showing people the incorrect way to do exercises. My husband had to correct someone who was showing a customer how to do weighted side bends along with some other things he saw she -- the personal trainer was doing wrong. This is someone who is "certified" as a PT and people pay for that. :noway: My sister is a "certified" PT and I am quite happy to say that I can lift more than her.
  • JNick77

A lot of gyms are like that. Regardless of brand.

100% agree with that comment. I really don't judge and am decent to anybody that comes up to me but I do observe a little in-between sets and I've put numbers to it at my new gym. 1 in 10 know how to squat, 1 in 5 have decent bench form, 1 in 8 db curl correctly (most look like a DB Power Curl). I'm the only morning person that takes the time to un-rack the weights and place them properly back on the weight tree.
    the personal trainer was doing wrong. This is someone who is "certified" as a PT and people pay for that. My sister is a "certified" PT and I am quite happy to say that I can lift more than her.

No disrespect to your sister, but in general, most trainers at any gym suck. The couple good trainers stick around with an established client base and the rest go to work for a PT's office or a private gym that addresses certain clientele.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Off topic, but Jennieb37 your back is HOT!!! Definately not afraid of committment over there! Whit WHOO!!!! Only in my dreams does my back look like that!!!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member

But its perfectly ok to bash the people that don't choose to workout there as "meatheads" and "a**holes" that are just there to look in the mirror and flex, right? Hypocrisy...she's a b*tch.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member

But its perfectly ok to bash the people that don't choose to workout there as "meatheads" and "a**holes" that are just there to look in the mirror and flex, right? Hypocrisy...she's a b*tch.

only the ones that call people unattractive fat unconfident people. the rest are awesome :flowerforyou:
  • JNick77

Just because somebody Deadlifts doesn't make them an *kitten*-meathead! That's a ridiculous comment and I believe I bashed those types of people as well somewhere in this thread. The point is, that PF is focusing on the wrong issue. The deadlift is a GREAT exercise for building strength and banning an exercise is silly. Sometimes grunting and **** happens, most of the time it's more involuntary than anything. They should focus on the *kitten* that cause problems, act like idiots, and implementing a better gym dress code.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    How is this still going?

Talk about a mountain out of a mole hill.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member

Its really hard to change without lifting :) I wish you all kinds of amazing luck though!