LOL @ Planet Fitness

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I see it as a good thing. My gym is not too crowded right now, which is nice. Planet Fitness will attract all the new years resolution makers and idiots, because of their no contract, low monthly price and I can continue on at my gym without having to worry about it getting too crowded. Thank you, Planet Fitness.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Its called a marketing strategy. Do you know what that is?

It is actually a very effective and successful strategy for PF.

I work very closely with PF and I can tell you this, you wouldn't make fun of PF if you saw their financials.

Oh trust me, I would still make fun of them... They may be rich, but they are worthless.

To you maybe, but to a lot of people PF is perfect...

ETA: For me PF is perfect.

I have a membership because I want to be able to afford doing intro strength stuff - the only other gyms in the area are WOW and YMCA, and Golds Gym. Golds is a tiny gym, and the manager made me feel very unwelcome. YMCA starts at $70 a month and have a miniscule strength circuit compared to PF. I can't afford that *kitten*. I don't understand the hate aimed at PF, they have a target audience. I happen to be one of that crowd they are targeting. I don't mind seeing fit or fat ppl at the gym, and I dont expect anyone else does (or should.) As far as their food on Monday and Tuesday, who cares? If free food intimidates you, then exercise your free will and don't eat it - how hard is that? Personally I keep missing out on the free pizza night :sad:

It's because if it were reversed the population would be in an uproar that a gym wouldn't allow non fit people to work out there and it would be labeled as discrimination.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    I see it as a good thing. My gym is not too crowded right now, which is nice. Planet Fitness will attract all the new years resolution makers and idiots, because of their no contract, low monthly price and I can continue on at my gym without having to worry about it getting too crowded. Thank you, Planet Fitness.

Oh you dont got to PF?? oh...:noway:
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Planet Fitness is for unattractive, fat people with low self esteem that can't stand the site of motivated individuals actually expending energy. A lunk alarm....that might be the most judgmental invention ever devised...so much for "judgement free zone".

RUDE! :angry: Not everyone has to be a meathead to go to the gym...

No, they don't. But at planet fitness, serious lifters are not even allowed in the gym. THAT is rude.

& you saying "Planet Fitness is for unattractive, fat people with low self esteem that can't stand the site of motivated individuals actually expending energy."

THAT is pretty rude

Perhaps. But that is exactly what their business models and corporate policies imply and encourage.

Your post didnt insult the business models and corporate policies, it insulted the apparently unattractive fat people with low self esteem that choose to work out there, who most likely do not create said policies or hire said models. Point your rude finger in the right direction...
  • jg627

I took the dollar tour, but, when they asked if they could sign me up, I said, "yeah, no we're not doin that." and found a better gym.
  • fcp1234
    Planet Fitness is for unattractive, fat people with low self esteem that can't stand the site of motivated individuals actually expending energy. A lunk alarm....that might be the most judgmental invention ever devised...so much for "judgement free zone".

Thats not very nice Trojan. You are lucky to be young and good looking. But there are alot of people that are not like you. There are old people that wanna work out just to keep their meds in control, they are new moms that just had babies etc etc.
    These people deserve to have a place to go to, and PF is trying to serve to their needs. Thats all

They could serve their needs just as well by allowing everyone in the gym. The ONLY reason for their policies is to protect their targeted audience from feeling intimidated and inferior.

Last I checked, my 24 Fitness had new moms and old people AND bodybuilders working out side by side.

I dont think they have bodyguards at the door, not letting bodybuilders in..do they?
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member

RUDE! :angry: Not everyone has to be a meathead to go to the gym...

No, they don't. But at planet fitness, serious lifters are not even allowed in the gym. THAT is rude.

& you saying "Planet Fitness is for unattractive, fat people with low self esteem that can't stand the site of motivated individuals actually expending energy."

THAT is pretty rude

Perhaps. But that is exactly what their business models and corporate policies imply and encourage.

Your post didnt insult the business models and corporate policies, it insulted the apparently unattractive fat people with low self esteem that choose to work out there, who most likely do not create said policies or hire said models. Point your rude finger in the right direction...

No, it said that was what their targeted audience was. And it's the truth. Their targeted audience is those people who are intimidated by in shape people. Couple that with numerous anti-bodybuilding/powerlifting rules, free PIZZA on certain nights, advertising which directly insults serious lifters, etc etc and it's pretty damn obvious who they are trying to attract to their gym.

Surprisingly, I don't know of any lawsuits brought against them yet. If any other establishment did this, they'd be in knee deep in a legal hellhole by now.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member

Actually all gyms tend to attract the "New Years Resolutionaries" because they typically have deals going on for the beginning of the year.
  • jg627

I took the dollar tour, but, when they asked if they could sign me up, I said, "yeah, no we're not doin that." and found a better gym.

Oh yea? How is that working out for you?
    Oh just for the record, some of those idiots have bigger guns, just sayin
    Working fine. Thanks for asking.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member

I work very closely with PF and I can tell you this, you wouldn't make fun of PF if you saw their financials.

Oh trust me, I would still make fun of them... They may be rich, but they are worthless.

I have a membership because I want to be able to afford doing intro strength stuff - the only other gyms in the area are WOW and YMCA, and Golds Gym. Golds is a tiny gym, and the manager made me feel very unwelcome. YMCA starts at $70 a month and have a miniscule strength circuit compared to PF. I can't afford that *kitten*. I don't understand the hate aimed at PF, they have a target audience. I happen to be one of that crowd they are targeting. I don't mind seeing fit or fat ppl at the gym, and I dont expect anyone else does (or should.) As far as their food on Monday and Tuesday, who cares? If free food intimidates you, then exercise your free will and don't eat it - how hard is that? Personally I keep missing out on the free pizza night :sad:

It's because if it were reversed the population would be in an uproar that a gym wouldn't allow non fit people to work out there and it would be labeled as discrimination.

Again - places like Golds gym turned a VERY cold shoulder at my interest in their facility. Perhaps thats THEIR way of catering to the people feeling picked on because they are perceived as "too fit" if I understand the complaints correctly. I don't think any place of business directly challenges people joining due to body type, just the whole 'cold shoulder' attitude - and that's all good. I find the whole lunk hate to be more of a joke, and taking it so seriously that you (generally speaking) feel offended then there isn't much to say. Not everyone has a HUGE selection of gyms available to select from. Maybe someday when I feel like doing something in a less novice strength training level I will explore gyms again, by then I should be more acceptable appearance-wise to places like Golds :grumble: :explode: :angry:
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    It appears to be insurance related. They probably had too many claims of that nature last year and now want to prevent either losing coverage or losing their ability to be self-insured (if that's the case).
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    What?!
    Deadlifting is one of our last great freedoms:ohwell:
  • JLand918
    JLand918 Posts: 156
    I used to go there for the cost but now other gyms who are much larger and can offer much more amenities for same price and encourage you to lift and workout etc are stealing PF members from them.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member

Again - places like Golds gym turned a VERY cold shoulder at my interest in their facility. Perhaps thats THEIR way of catering to the people feeling picked on because they are perceived as "too fit" if I understand the complaints correctly. I don't think any place of business directly challenges people joining due to body type, just the whole 'cold shoulder' attitude - and that's all good. I find the whole lunk hate to be more of a joke, and taking it so seriously that you (generally speaking) feel offended then there isn't much to say. Not everyone has a HUGE selection of gyms available to select from. Maybe someday when I feel like doing something in a less novice strength training level I will explore gyms again, by then I should be more acceptable appearance-wise to places like Golds :grumble: :explode: :angry:

Actually PF does discriminate and refuse entry based on looks.

Of course, corporate denies it. But there are countless testimonials.

And I agree with you, Gold's does have that attitude. I don't understand it either.
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    I belong to Planet Fitness, and just met with the trainer to design a personal workout schedule, and a dead lift was one of the exercises recommended for me. We don't have that sign. I love my Planet Fitness. Everyone is so helpful at the Pensacola, FL gym.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member

Actually all gyms tend to attract the "New Years Resolutionaries" because they typically have deals going on for the beginning of the year.

But according to several people that have already posted on here, since PF is a "safe" zone for those new to working out, then all of those people would only feel comfortable at planet fitness, not any other gym that allows those of us that lift do our thing.
  • jg627
    Captain Amazing recommends Planet Fitness, but I think he's a washed up, has-been of a superhero. I haven't even seen him walk an old lady across the street in weeks.
  • fcp1234

Actually PF does discriminate and refuse entry based on looks.

Of course, corporate denies it. But there are countless testimonials.

And I agree with you, Gold's does have that attitude. I don't understand it either.

I really really don't think that's always true though.
    I go to PF for my cardio mostly because its right next to where I work. There are some guys that go there that look away more yummy than most of men claiming to be so hardcore here..just sayin..And they are there all the time and deadlift too. I dont know if they are bodybuilders or not, but they certainly are built.
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    I love Planet Fitness..I am not "fat" or unattractive, and going to the gyms that cater to the "perfect" crowds who like to strut around like egotistical a-holes turn me off. I like going to a place like Planet fitness that is a place to work out...not pick up chicks or check out the puffed chested guys. I have the membership where I have unlimited used of the tanning beds, massage chairs and I can take a guest everyday. I love Planet Fitness.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Ridiculous... people actually pay this place? Bah