Is Diet Coke bad for the body?

Options

Replies

• Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    NO...most studies done on diet sodas just come to the conclusion that artificial sweeteners induce sugar cravings...if you don't find that that's the case for you, then I don't think it matters
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Is Diet Coke bad for the body? Does it slow down weight loss?

Yes. Don't drink cancer-water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Is Diet Coke bad for the body? Does it slow down weight loss?

No

It contains aspartame, which is known for causing cancer.

Please cite your source for this knowledge - peer reviewed studies and not fear mongering articles would be very much appreciated.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people,

...is anyone else deeply disturbed by this statement...?

::raises hand::
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I gave up Diet Coke when I joined MFP. I now drink just water. I did it not just for health concerns, but because of the price. Also, my husband, who was the one who had to return all the cans, is happy no longer to have that chore.
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people,

Why disturbed? A bee sting is safe for most people. A minority of people can die from it. Bar water and oxygen I doubt there's much else that everyone's body is happy with.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I watched a though provoking video yesterday about artificial sweetners...

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/should-you-give-artificial-sweeteners

He talks about how your body releases insulin, how your brain's addiction centers are activated, but how your body recognizes it is not real sugar and continues to crave more. Possible results are metabilic syndrome, insulin resistance, etc.

Not saying don't drink Diet Coke, I firmly believe everything on moderation. Just gives you something to consider.
    [/quote

No sugar no insulin
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i think we've all learned a very good lesson in this thread, but i'm not sure it has to do with diet coke.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

No, I am not. I am MUCH more disturbed by the flawed logic and ignorance of scientific methodology that is so evident all over these message boards. Just because something is synthetic does not make it "bad" for you. Just because something is natural it does not mean it is "good" for you. Just because something contains chemicals (clue: everything does!) it does not mean it is "bad" for you. Yikes! :grumble:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Double post... see below.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Second of all, there are plenty of things that are harmful at a given dose that are not harmful at lower doses. Do you eat fish? Are you concerned about mercury? There's one example of something that can be harmful at higher doses and not harmful at reasonable doses.

reasonable doses
    Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you. The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer. Some types of diet soda are even fortified with vitamins and minerals.
    Reasonable amount
    Isn't Likely
    Are safe to most people

This all sounds like ROCK F****** solid evidence for your case.

I hope everyone maintains a reasonable dosage and you dont happen to be in the likely group or happen to one of the people its not safe for.

The point is you have something that might carry a risk that provides no benefit to you. Its your choice.
    Good luck

Peanuts - safe in reasonable doses as long as you don't belong in a group that it is not safe for - since some people have anaphylaxic reactions to it, should all people avoid it? Is it bad for everybody?

There are some people that are allergic to water. Does everyone need to avoid it? Absolutely not.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options

By most people I'm assuming they mean people who do not have PKU (phenylketonuria) or migraines triggered by aspartame. The issues occur in a very small number of people. In the US the rate of occurrence is 1 in 15,000.

The same could be said about shellfish, nuts or any other known allergen. Those are safe to consume for most people, meaning those that do not have allergies to them.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    True enough. I guess I'm over sensitive to the topic because I'm one of the 1% (or whatever, I just made that up) who almost died from it.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Is this really a post?
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    For all you people who want to replace your diet coke with water, remember that water is also a chemical H2O. And it is not organic either. It is inorganic. And water will dissolve a lot of things.
    Like rocks I don't think you should drink anything that will wear away rocks look what it did to the Grand Canyon
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was recently an addict and "depended" on Diet Coke, drinking 7-8 cans daily. It wasn't until over a week ago, when I ran out and decided to go cold turkey. 9 days later, I no longer crave it or feel like I need it when I eat certain foods, or to just get me through the day. The only downside to this is feeling tired mid-day, but a cold glass of water seems to revive me. When I want something with carbonation, I go with club soda.

I sleep better, feel better, and have the peace of mind that I'm no longer dependent on something so small.
  • UpBeatMaria
    UpBeatMaria Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    YES! DIET COKE is bad for you. Avoid any type of soda at al cost! DRINK WATER :D
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

No, I am not. I am MUCH more disturbed by the flawed logic and ignorance of scientific methodology that is so evident all over these message boards. Just because something is synthetic does not make it "bad" for you. Just because something is natural it does not mean it is "good" for you. Just because something contains chemicals (clue: everything does!) it does not mean it is "bad" for you. Yikes! :grumble:

Welcome to MFP!

Totally agree with you. It's crazy how many people have no grasp of basic chemistry or biology here.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP!

Totally agree with you. It's crazy how many people have no grasp of basic chemistry or biology here.

AMEN!! I don't profess to know or understand everything but I can at least read and comprehend the information available.
    That, and I understand the difference between "safe" and "not dangerous/harmful".
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP!

AMEN!! I don't profess to know or understand everything but I can at least read and comprehend the information available.
    That, and I understand the difference between "safe" and "not dangerous/harmful".

sigh... Y'all are obviously on the defensive here... I am referring to the comment containing the words "artificial" "chemical" and "safe"... I really don't care that you think you know something about science when science is proven wrong every day... the word "artificial" especially should not be used when discussing food and drink...