Is Diet Coke bad for the body?

Options

Replies

• wilsonm24
    Options

So Sidesteel you are perfectly fine that it kills other living things but has no current studies disproving that its harmful to humans?

All Brawn

First of all I don't appreciate your personal attack.

Second of all, there are plenty of things that are harmful at a given dose that are not harmful at lower doses. Do you eat fish? Are you concerned about mercury? There's one example of something that can be harmful at higher doses and not harmful at reasonable doses.

Next, have you read James Krieger's very thorough research analysis on aspartame? It covers dosage and context and very clearly shows that at reasonable dose and given no PKU, it's fine to consume.

Do you understand how aspartame is metabolized and do you understand that the amino acids and metabolic byproducts are not harmful?

I do. If you'd like to discuss it, you let me know.

You all are taking this way to far....Ill try to be clear again.

- If its not natural - Chemically synthesized/Man made Its probably not the best thing to ingest.
    - Im not saying not to.
    - You gain no benefit from it other than enjoyment. In that sense its like gambling except there is never even the possibility of a payout.
    - there are better options
    - do it , dont do it. I dont give a crap.
    - The question is answered as I answered it.
    Is diet coke bad for the body?

Yes.

The alternative would be answering "No" suggesting its Good for the body or has no ill effect. If either is true, Please site studies showing the health Benefits of ingesting diet coke in any quantity or studies showing that there is no effect whatsoever. Which we know is not true In consumption levels of more than 1 can/day.

1. Artificial sweeteners and cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners. Accessed Oct. 16, 2009.
    2. Dhingra J, et al. Soft drink consumption and risk of developing cardiometabolic risk factors and the metabolic syndrome in middle-aged adults in the community. Circulation. 2007;116:480.

If diet coke is "safe" to drink in quantities less than 1 can per day the question still must be answered "Yes, its bad for the body" because the negative effect still occurs just not to a level that is "harmful" Drinking .02 ml of diet coke doesn't have a positive effect on a persons body its just not enough to cause permanent harmful effects.

Safe does not equate Positive nor healthy. the health benefits of fresh Tuna not tuna from a can far surpass the negatives of mercury build up which would take an obscene amount to reach...In this case there are positive benefits of ingesting fresh tuna. In your case there are no positives only negatives.

Just because something isn't good for the body doesn't make it bad, it could be context neutral.

To quote the National Cancer Institute article you linked...
    Carcinogenicity studies (studies that examine whether a substance can cause cancer) of these sweeteners have not provided clear evidence of an association with cancer in humans. Similarly, studies of other FDA-approved sweeteners have not demonstrated clear evidence of an association with cancer in humans.

Where is the bad in this? I guess we shouldn't give massive amounts of Diet Coke to our pet rats, got it.

Weren't you asked for research that was conducted on humans? Don't you like to complain that people don't answer your questions?
    Safe does not equate Positive nor healthy. the health benefits of fresh Tuna not tuna from a can far surpass the negatives of mercury build up which would take an obscene amount to reach...In this case there are positive benefits of ingesting fresh tuna. In your case there are no positives only negatives.

There is water in Diet Coke, water is good, thus your own argument defeats you. The positives of water far surpass any negatives of the chemical build up which would take an obscene amount to reach.

Here is a link from the Mayo Clinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diet-soda/AN01732
    Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you. The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer. Some types of diet soda are even fortified with vitamins and minerals.

So using your logic, if it isn't going to hurt you then it must help you right? Kind of the opposite of if it isn't good it must be bad... Man what a silly argument, everything must be black and white and strictly fit within those two color

I
  • tomwetsel
    Options
    It adds caffeine, which can cause your energy level to yo-yo, it adds salt which can make you thirsty, which some confuse with hunger.
  • savannahjo92
    Options
    Yeah, stay away from all artificial sweetener! Makes you BLOATED!! and it's not good for your health!! :)
    I use truvia to sweeten things!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    OP: Answer is no.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked on it. Have been for a couple decades. Hasn't made one bit of difference in either gaining or losing weight in my case.

Ummmm, if you have been drinking it for decades how exactly do you know it hasn't had anything to do with gaining or losing weight? Not saying that it has, just curious how you know.
  • Lenisa11
    Options
    The stuff they use to make it DIET is bad for you if you over do it...but then again, EVERYTHING is bad for you if you eat too much of it...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    MassiveDelta:

In regards to your links:
    1. Artificial sweeteners and cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners. Accessed Oct. 16, 2009.

Can you please clarify what you find relevant on the attached page given that the assessment on this page is that there is no evidence of harmful effects in humans? Let me rephrase: What about the above link supports your assessment?
    2. Dhingra J, et al. Soft drink consumption and risk of developing cardiometabolic risk factors and the metabolic syndrome in middle-aged adults in the community. Circulation. 2007;116:480

Full text here: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/116/5/480.abstract

Reading this now. Looks like an epidemiological study that uses FFQs to assess soda consumption. It also appears as though they're lumping data of both regular and diet soft drinks but I'll read more before making that conclusion. Not done viewing all the tables.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The stuff they use to make it DIET is bad for you if you over do it...but then again, EVERYTHING is bad for you if you eat too much of it...

Oxygen is deadly. So is water.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm going to double my Diet Coke consumption,now that MassiveDelta has provided information that there is no credible evidence that it's harmful to humans.
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Omg, its SO bad! Trust me, I know! I just had to have all of my internal organs replaced with plastic ones because of it!
    On the plus side, now I can drink even more!
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Omg, its SO bad! Trust me, I know! I just had to have all of my internal organs replaced with plastic ones because of it!
    On the plus side, now I can drink even more!

Win!
  • sassi5
    sassi5 Posts: 49
    Options
    Fat loss - no
    Weight loss and appearance - yes but only because carbonation can cause bloating in some people and the sodium content can cause temporary water retention which shows up on the scale...

THIS! And also artificial sweeteners are horrible for you. Yeah they don't have calories but they are bad for your body. The man who invented aspartame wont even drinking. So yes it is bad for you and for your weight loss.
  • apponly
    apponly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My personal experience (not everyone's, just mine) is that I feel bloated when I drink diet soda, and I gain water weight. Partly because if I'm drinking diet soda, I forget to drink my water. I also feel that the carbonation disrupts my digestion of certain foods, and on top of all that, when I drink diet Coke (or Pepsi) I get a really sharp, shooting pain on the top, right side of my head. Only when I drink diet Coke or Pepsi, not other carbonated sodas. When I am off the stuff, the pain goes away. I have heard both sides, good and bad, for and against diet Coke/Pepsi. You might like it for the caffeine if you have a headache, but then you might not want to get addicted to it. I would say, listen to your body, track your own weight while on and off the drink, and see how it affects YOU. My personal opinion is that as a general rule, it's not great. But I still like my 20 oz. now and then! :)

Worsened tummy issues hit me too! Plus I felt even more thirsty after drinking them, nearly the same whenever I've tried to drink a sugar soda. I completely stopped drinking diet soda about 5 years ago and don't miss it, but then again I grew up drinking Tab because it was the only soda allowed in my parent's house. /blech! - Coffee & decaf is another matter entirely, though, it's like air to me in the morning ;)

My mate drinks diet Mt Dew and alternates with diet root beer, I sometimes wonder if his tummy issues are from the soda as the culprit but I can't talk him into going without it for time to test that theory.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Second of all, there are plenty of things that are harmful at a given dose that are not harmful at lower doses. Do you eat fish? Are you concerned about mercury? There's one example of something that can be harmful at higher doses and not harmful at reasonable doses.

reasonable doses
    Drinking a reasonable amount of diet soda a day, such as a can or two, isn't likely to hurt you. The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people, and there's no credible evidence that these ingredients cause cancer. Some types of diet soda are even fortified with vitamins and minerals.
    Reasonable amount
    Isn't Likely
    Are safe to most people

This all sounds like ROCK F****** solid evidence for your case.

I hope everyone maintains a reasonable dosage and you dont happen to be in the likely group or happen to one of the people its not safe for.

The point is you have something that might carry a risk that provides no benefit to you. Its your choice.
    Good luck
  • AngryDiet
    Options

reasonable doses
    Reasonable amount
    Isn't Likely
    Are safe to most people

I hope everyone maintains a reasonable dosage and you dont happen to be in the likely group or happen to one of the people its not safe for.

The point is you have something that might carry a risk that provides no benefit to you. Its your choice.
    Good luck

I confess that I'm one of those outliers who drinks 2,083 cans of diet soda daily.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It eats away the enamel on your teeth unfortunately. I still drink it like crazy though!

Edit: spelling

Although Mountain Dew and *gasp* orange juice are the worst culprits on that count.
    That being said... I need to go to WallyWorld this evening for some more DMD to fill my fridge at work so I can keep my caffeinne buzz rolling so I don't feel the need to throttle anyone else's kids :drinker:
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    "diet" anything is bad for you. Period. If food or drink has got any kind of artificial sweetener, I won't touch it.
  • wilsonm24
    Options

reasonable doses
    Reasonable amount
    Isn't Likely
    Are safe to most people

Good luck

You didn't answer my questions, nice job avoiding the subject.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners and other chemicals currently used in diet soda are safe for most people,

...is anyone else deeply disturbed by this statement...?
  • wfte
    wfte Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Aspartame went through more tests and trials than any product in history before it was even close to being allowed on the market. They literally begged to find something wrong with it. If it was even close to being responsible for half the things it's meant to be it would never have been allowed.

Next people will be blaming it for third world poverty!