Is Diet Coke bad for the body?

Options

Replies

• laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The amount of alarmism in this thread is downright scary.

I'm alarmed at all the alarmism.

Diet Coke is manna from god. I love the stuff. I drink coffee in the morning with half & half and Splenda (shock! horror!), a Diet Coke with lunch, and a Diet Coke after dinner. The rest of the day, I drink water or green tea. I used to drink like 5 or 6 Diet Cokes a day in addition to my morning coffee.

And you know what? I'm still alive. I know, I know. Just let it sink in for a moment.

And even at 5-6 cans per day you're still well under intake values for aspartame that are seen as "potentially harmful".

There's so much lack of dose and context in this thread (not your post in particular of course, I mean the thread as a whole) that it's just downright silly.

Just because something is bad for you when you consume X amount of it, does not necessarily mean that it's in any way bad for you when you consume (X/100) of it.

Totally agree. That logic thing works.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Yup. Get ready to pee out your ovaries.
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options

???????????????????????????????????
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I imagine anything in excess is bad. But yeah chemical sweeteners have been shown in studies to be harmful to long term health. I've linked to a few peer reviewed studies about that here. I don't really want to get into that now though because I'm on my phone and it's hard to type.

Anyway I used to drink it in excess so I quit. I only started losing weight when I quit drinking coke zeros. I never had a lot to lose but I think it did make a big difference to my body. If you have a lot to lose it may not matter... I just don't know. It wouldn't hurt to try.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Lmao!!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

I did that once. It hurt. I didn't do it anymore.

True Story!
  • bailbondbabs
    Options
    I only drink one maybe two a day now. But I used to drink a six pack of REAL COKE a day and well I think it made me gain weight :) Well that and all the eating!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    The amount of alarmism in this thread is downright scary.

I'm alarmed at all the alarmism.

Diet Coke is manna from god. I love the stuff. I drink coffee in the morning with half & half and Splenda (shock! horror!), a Diet Coke with lunch, and a Diet Coke after dinner. The rest of the day, I drink water or green tea. I used to drink like 5 or 6 Diet Cokes a day in addition to my morning coffee.

And you know what? I'm still alive. I know, I know. Just let it sink in for a moment.

Walking dead.

Heh.
  • RiversideBabe
    RiversideBabe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Its SUPER bad for your teeth. My mom has been addicted to it for decades and all of her teeth are messed up. If you put a rusty club in a bucket of coke and let it soak. The club will come out clean. Think about the damage it does to the body.
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Diet Dew FTW!!! Especially from Quick Chek with "chewy ice"...the best.

Supposedly diet sodas cause cancer and actually make you hungry. Who knows...you hear one thing and then you hear another. Don't know what to believe. I dropped almost 100lbs the first time with portion control and drinking diet sodas here and there.
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    PMSL this thread is hilarious !!
  • TessaZx
    TessaZx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some of the things people are saying in this thread is seriously stupid, and i know half of it is just people joking around being sarcastic but i don't think its very funny at all because you don't know who is reading this thread and there might be people out there thinking them comments are actually true and getting really worried about it..
  • lorrainzander
    lorrainzander Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    HA! I am in total agreement on that one. I use to half-listen to what Dr. Oz said and then found out he promotes supplements on his show that have no scientific basis. That said, this thread is hilarious. My theory is: everything in good old moderation fun!
  • d1angel
    Options
    Personally, I don't care if it is or it isn't good for you, I am not giving it up.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I dont think anythign is ruining the world. Im just saying; ingestign things into your body that aren't natural IS not GOOD for you. The opposite good is bad. This inst rocket science.

Just because a food isn't "good" for you doesn't mean that it's "bad".
    :huh:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Oh sweet jesus, yes!!! Soda diet or not is bad all the way around. It can hide fat deep in your bones, muscle mass and over time it can age your heart, kidneys and take a toll on your vascular system. I'm a a diet Pepsi person at heart but when I read what even 1 sode a day can do long term to your body, I limit a soda to maybe once a month a best. I also found when I quit diet sodae, I lost 5 pounds over a month without chaning anything except skipping the soda. My mom was a "Diet Rite" fan for a lot of years and I told her to try skipping the soda, she was amazed at how much lighter she felt.

That's my '2cents'....

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg
  • gemstone29
    Options
    Is Diet Coke bad for the body? Does it slow down weight loss?

No

It's fatal if you try to breathe it.

its also uncomfortable if you try to snort it.

:laugh:

Personaly I don't drink diet soft drinks, particualrly coke because I don't think the amount of chemicals and processing that goes into it are good for you.
    That said if coke is a bit of a must have for you then diet over normal is better for weight loss, maybe try reducing your intake slowly.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It causes cancer PERIOD, but then again so does breathing air...

...we're all screwed.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    An actual non biased clinical trial has revealed that yes, it bad. Not the coke stuff, just the sweetener. Heres my totally uneducated, but logical opinion. If it is artificial, it is more than likely not good for you. Eat real food. Drink real sweeteners.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Oh sweet jesus, yes!!! Soda diet or not is bad all the way around. It can hide fat deep in your bones, muscle mass and over time it can age your heart, kidneys and take a toll on your vascular system. I'm a a diet Pepsi person at heart but when I read what even 1 sode a day can do long term to your body, I limit a soda to maybe once a month a best. I also found when I quit diet sodae, I lost 5 pounds over a month without chaning anything except skipping the soda. My mom was a "Diet Rite" fan for a lot of years and I told her to try skipping the soda, she was amazed at how much lighter she felt.

That's my '2cents'....

Weird_Science_Facepalm_01.gif