Is Diet Coke bad for the body?

Options

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I dont think anythign is ruining the world. Im just saying; ingestign things into your body that aren't natural IS not GOOD for you. The opposite good is bad. This inst rocket science.

Please all knowing and powerful OZ tell us what value added benefit we get from ingesting chemicals contained in the likes of Diet Soda.

What Good benefit do our bodies derive from this list below?
    Aspartame

2. Phosphoric Acid

3. Caffeine (synthesized)

4. Acesulfame Potassium

5. Potassium Benzoate

First, if your "source" is Dr. Oz, your argument is thereby invalid. QED.

Did know our body is MADE from CHEMICALS? OMG! Phosphoric acid is found naturally in milk, eggs and plenty of other things. Phosphates form the basis of our DNA. Phosphates are needed to grow crops and sustain life. Diet coke also has SODIUM (about 20 mg, or about 1% of what's in a can of vegetable soup). You can just call those "electrolytes" if you want to be like the energy drink companies. Aspartame is also made up from natural substances that occur in the human bodies. And like many "chemicals" our bodies break it down the minute we digest it.

The National Cancer Institute believes there is no link between aspartame and cancer but you know, go ahead and quote Dr. Oz some more. Love it. You should probably stop drinking water because it's a compound of two elements. Or maybe if you want to stick to "natural" foods go ingest some uranium or cyanide as both are plentiful and naturally occuring. Cyanide is also organic. So enjoy.

Doctor Who...who the F is Dr OZ? I just listed the chemicals found in Diet coke..... And you failed to answer the question...What added value do those extra Non naturally occurring synthesized chemicals bring to you...???

BTW... RJ Reynolds said cigarettes had health benefits and believed it. Is it really that hard to just accept the fact that eating non natural things arent the best for us?

---->>> Im not telling you not too <<<

I eat crap all the time every day. Im just saying its not good for you. And the person Im quoting.... If you jump to another conclusion like that you better wear a parachute. Next time I wont catch you!

35nig1.jpg

Still no answer ...Dont start a debate you cant finsh
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is made from pure unadulterated hatred. If you drink it you will go to Hell.

II Matthew 2:24: And thou shalt not partake of thy foul diet drinks, for they are forwith and for naught thine healthy ways. Diet coke is made of 6 parts evil, 6 parts vile, and 6 parts aspartame and is forthwith forever known as the anti-soda.
    II Matthew 2:25: Be ye not fooled, thy Coke Zero ain't much bettereth.
    II Matthew 2:26: Take heed and forever heareth, anything Pepsi is a ploy and wily drink of Lucifer, the dreaded beast of the deep.
    II Matthew Chapter 3
    Verse 1: Thou shalt always and forever eat back thy exercise calories, for this is good for the soul, exceptith on cheat days.

Amen!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Yes, i think so because it contains aspartame, which causes cancer, among othere perservatives, such as carmel coloring.

Nope, doesn't cause cancer. Might want to refresh your knowledge on that one.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Oh no is this a debate?! Is one of us gonna win?! What do we win?! :laugh:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I dont think anythign is ruining the world. Im just saying; ingestign things into your body that aren't natural IS not GOOD for you. The opposite good is bad. This inst rocket science.

Just because a food isn't "good" for you doesn't mean that it's "bad". Diet coke may not be loaded with vitamins and minerals, but it doesn't have anything detrimental in it. In fact, I would argue that if you HAD to categorize it as good or bad, it would be good since it contains water. And it's certainly better than regular Coke.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

Just because a food isn't "good" for you doesn't mean that it's "bad". Diet coke may not be loaded with vitamins and minerals, but it doesn't have anything detrimental in it. In fact, I would argue that if you HAD to categorize it as good or bad, it would be good since it contains water. And it's certainly better than regular Coke.

Uh...didn't read that thread yesterday?? Water is bad for you too, if you drink water you will get hydronuthinamostatoomuchism or something like that...in other words, you will drown your kidney and spleen and you will die of diarrhea poisoning. At least that's what it said on the internet and Dr. Oz.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I would think anything that you can use to eat corrosion off of a car battery with wouldn't be good for you to drink.
    The acid in oranges and lemons will also eat corrosion off of a car battery. Same with apples, peaches, coffee, vinegar, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, cranberries, grapes, guava, honey, plums, pomegranates, limes, strawberries, tomatillos, and tomatoes.

I guess all those things wouldn't be good to eat or drink, huh?:huh:

The only one of those I eat is apples, so I couldn't really tell you. Almost all of the things you listed do have some nutritional value though, does diet Coke? I thought not.
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    I would think anything that you can use to eat corrosion off of a car battery with wouldn't be good for you to drink.
    The acid in oranges and lemons will also eat corrosion off of a car battery. Same with apples, peaches, coffee, vinegar, blueberries, blackberries, cherries, cranberries, grapes, guava, honey, plums, pomegranates, limes, strawberries, tomatillos, and tomatoes.

The only one of those I eat is apples, so I couldn't really tell you. Almost all of the things you listed do have some nutritional value though, does diet Coke? I thought not.

I thought the issue was that it eats corrosion off of a car battery. Not that it lacks "some nutritional value."

Also, since you don't eat these things, does that make them bad? How is your diet relevant to car battery corrosion?
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Dr. Oz? Really? He will "support" any product or theory that will throw him a few bones for supporting it. Might as well get you info from Dr. Phil.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It eats away the enamel on your teeth unfortunately. I still drink it like crazy though!

Edit: spelling

You are so right....i used to drink regular pepsi and I switched to Diet Coke when i started gaining weight. At my NEXT checkup I had 3 cavities after not having ANY, EVER! My dentist was like what the heck have you been doing these past 6 months. I told him about the Diet Coke and his response: BINGO! So I have cut back tremendously. I was drinking a couple a day minimum because it was zero calore. But if you don't drink that much and chase it with water, I think your fine. I also think it gives me migraines. I haven't heard anything about this, but I see a connection. has anyone else experienced that?
  • moosegt35
    Options

I thought the issue was that it eats corrosion off of a car battery. Not that it lacks "some nutritional value."

Also, since you don't eat these things, does that make them bad? How is your diet relevant to car battery corrosion?

I wouldn't say they are bad, I just don't have much experience with them since I don't eat them. Obviously, the battery corrosion thing isn't the only thing that makes soda bad for you. Go to the grocery at the first of the month and check out some of the super models you see with shopping carts (or sometimes the motorized carts becasue they are so fat they can't walk) full of soda, diet or regular, and report back. It's not like drinking Drano but if you think any soda is "good" for you then you aren't the brightest knife in the tool shed.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Oh no is this a debate?! Is one of us gonna win?! What do we win?! :laugh:

Oh good Im glad you agree with me then. Carry on
  • AngryDiet
    Options

I wouldn't say they are bad, I just don't have much experience with them since I don't eat them. Obviously, the battery corrosion thing isn't the only thing that makes soda bad for you. Go to the grocery at the first of the month and check out some of the super models you see with shopping carts (or sometimes the motorized carts becasue they are so fat they can't walk) full of soda, diet or regular, and report back. It's not like drinking Drano but if you think any soda is "good" for you then you aren't the brightest knife in the tool shed.

You keep changing the bar for what makes Diet Coke unacceptable.

Now I agree with many of the things you've said in the past few posts, but I don't see how it follows to your conclusions.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Fat loss - no
    Weight loss and appearance - yes but only because carbonation can cause bloating in some people and the sodium content can cause temporary water retention which shows up on the scale...
    how much sodium in diet soda again?
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Fat loss - no
    Weight loss and appearance - yes but only because carbonation can cause bloating in some people and the sodium content can cause temporary water retention which shows up on the scale...
    how much sodium in diet soda again?

Hmmm, 40mg in my can of Coke Zero here.

Says that 2% of my daily needs. Maybe it needs more?
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    It also has 0.1g of protein.
  • warsenic
    Options

So, fat people drink soda and now it's bad?
    You're not saying why soda is bad except some shoddy red-herring about it's corrosive properties (which can by done by acids in lemons, oranges, etc) which is pretty low compared to stomach acid (which is just fine in our stomachs when we're healthy) so then really what is so bad about soda?
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The amount of alarmism in this thread is downright scary.

I'm alarmed at all the alarmism.

Diet Coke is manna from god. I love the stuff. I drink coffee in the morning with half & half and Splenda (shock! horror!), a Diet Coke with lunch, and a Diet Coke after dinner. The rest of the day, I drink water or green tea. I used to drink like 5 or 6 Diet Cokes a day in addition to my morning coffee.

And you know what? I'm still alive. I know, I know. Just let it sink in for a moment.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    The amount of alarmism in this thread is downright scary.

I'm alarmed at all the alarmism.

Diet Coke is manna from god. I love the stuff. I drink coffee in the morning with half & half and Splenda (shock! horror!), a Diet Coke with lunch, and a Diet Coke after dinner. The rest of the day, I drink water or green tea. I used to drink like 5 or 6 Diet Cokes a day in addition to my morning coffee.

And you know what? I'm still alive. I know, I know. Just let it sink in for a moment.

And even at 5-6 cans per day you're still well under intake values for aspartame that are seen as "potentially harmful".

There's so much lack of dose and context in this thread (not your post in particular of course, I mean the thread as a whole) that it's just downright silly.

Just because something is bad for you when you consume X amount of it, does not necessarily mean that it's in any way bad for you when you consume (X/100) of it.
  • moosegt35
    Options

So, fat people drink soda and now it's bad?
    You're not saying why soda is bad except some shoddy red-herring about it's corrosive properties (which can by done by acids in lemons, oranges, etc) which is pretty low compared to stomach acid (which is just fine in our stomachs when we're healthy) so then really what is so bad about soda?

Nothing at all. Drink a few liters per day as a matter of fact. I heard it cures cancer.