Is Diet Coke bad for the body?

Options

Replies

• jamielynn020610
    jamielynn020610 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any sodas at all!! I would maybe just give it up.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    [/quote ] " I really don't care that you think you know something about science when science is proven wrong every day.".. .
    [/quote]

This quote just proves my point exactly. Science is a method of inquiry and it is not "proven wrong". Sometimes new scientific evidence presents itself that reveals things previously unknown, but your statement simply demonstrates that you don't know how scientific method works.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    What professorRAT said. I knew that and I'm just a middle school teacher. *smh*

All of you Diet Coke haters can keep hating...it's just more for me.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Hmmm some studies say that it results in nervous system problems....

I don't touch it.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I used to drink 6-8 cans a day and drank nothing else. I gave it up completely 3 months ago. The problem I had with major swelling in my feet and ankles totally went away and has not come back.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Diet soda will keep you fat. Here is why: the artificial sugars cause your body to crave sugar, therefore increasing your appetite after drinking it. The artificial ingredients make you hold onto belly fat. Have you ever noticed that most people who drink diet sodas are overweight?
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You crave what you eat. And your body doesn't know artificial sweeteners from real sugar, from the standpoint that sweetness causing cravings for foods that aren't beneficial.

That being said, I still drink Diet Pepsi. I just do it knowingly now. And if I see over time that it's causing me to continue craving the stuff I'm trying to avoid, I will have to cut it out.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hmmm some studies say that it results in nervous system problems....

I don't touch it.

I'm not familiar with nervous system issues -- do you have any links to those studies?

Thanks!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Re: fat people drinking diet soda
    "Correlation does not imply causation" is a phrase used in science and statistics to emphasize that a correlation between two variables does not necessarily imply that one causes the other. [1][2] Many statistical tests calculate correlation between variables. A few go further and calculate the likelihood of a true causal relationship; examples are the Granger causality test and convergent cross mapping.
    Thank you, Wiki...
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed that most people who drink sodas are overweight?

Fixed it for you.

Actually,
    Have you ever noticed that most people are overweight?

There we go. That's perfect.
  • TheCaren
    Options
    Diet soda will keep you fat. Here is why: the artificial sugars cause your body to crave sugar, therefore increasing your appetite after drinking it. The artificial ingredients make you hold onto belly fat. Have you ever noticed that most people who drink diet sodas are overweight?

I can't say I disagree with what you've said, since I said much the same thing about artifical sweetening. But your statement that most people who drink diet sodas are overweight being evidence of artificial ingredients causing you to hold onto belly fat is faulty logic. There can be a correlation between over weight people and diet soda consumption, but that doesn't prove causation.

For what it's worth.
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coke often a few years back... but I agree with a few comments about the sensitivity with the teeth and enamel...however the worst thing is drinking anything with aspartane... all you need to do is google that and you will see the harm it does to humans!!!!

I used to drink caffeine free diet coke and my skin was itchy all the time... a friend brought it to my attention she worked in the medical industry and I was shocked... I went cold turkey off that stuff and so many issues I was feeling with itchy skin and restlessness went away... chemicals that are being put in food and beverages are very bad for so many reasons.. the body can handle sugar better than these chemical additives... you could spend all day reading about it ... just come off it and you will see the difference... I too make water my drink of choice !!
  • TheCaren
    Options
    Re: fat people drinking diet soda
    "Correlation does not imply causation" is a phrase used in science and statistics to emphasize that a correlation between two variables does not necessarily imply that one causes the other. [1][2] Many statistical tests calculate correlation between variables. A few go further and calculate the likelihood of a true causal relationship; examples are the Granger causality test and convergent cross mapping.
    Thank you, Wiki...

You and I had the same thought (see my post above...)! :)
  • smittysk
    smittysk Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    anything with that many chemicals in it isn't good for you. but it tastes good, and is a good treat once in awhile. i personally have a diet coke addiction, so i keep it as a treat! ;)
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 6-8 cans of diet Coke a day. I didn't drink anything else. I gave it up completely 3 months ago and all I know is that the problem I used to have with my feet and ankles swelling up almost double went away about 4 days after I stopped and has not returned.
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    " I really don't care that you think you know something about science when science is proven wrong every day.".. .
    [/quote]

This quote just proves my point exactly. Science is a method of inquiry and it is not "proven wrong". Sometimes new scientific evidence presents itself that reveals things previously unknown, but your statement simply demonstrates that you don't know how scientific method works.
    [/quote]

^^ This! Science isn't some all-powerful being with an opinion. Science is about the method of gathering information and obtaining knowledge. It doesn't have an agenda, contrary to what a lot of people seem to think (note: I'm not saying various researchers/labs don't have an agenda), and if sound evidence arises that disputes current scientific thinking, the thinking will be altered to incorporate the new evidence. You can't prove it wrong.
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    since the human body is not made to process chemicals, nor does it produce those on its own, they should be avoided.

OMG OMG OMG OMG

Food is composed of chemicals and my body processes it fine. Water is a chemical and my body also seems to be able to process that.

vitamin c is a chemical

table salt is a chemical

baking powder, baking soda, etc. etc. all chemicals

riboflavin a chemical..

OMG OMG OMG

where do you people come from????/ AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • professorRAT
    Options
    Processing chemicals is pretty much exclusively what the human body does (and it uses chemicals to do it!). You guys do know that all food is chemicals, right? And air, and water, and...
  • professorRAT
    Options
    since the human body is not made to process chemicals, nor does it produce those on its own, they should be avoided.

OMG OMG OMG OMG

Food is composed of chemicals and my body processes it fine. Water is a chemical and my body also seems to be able to process that.

vitamin c is a chemical

table salt is a chemical

baking powder, baking soda, etc. etc. all chemicals

riboflavin a chemical..

OMG OMG OMG

where do you people come from????/ AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ah, you beat me to it. Wow.
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Surgeon General's Warning states:

Diet Coke can lead to excessive gas, bloating, and caffiene related hyperactivity.
    Diet Coke is deadly when a full can is stepped on while walking down the stairs with arms full of groceries.
    Diet Coke can cause weight gain if you are holding a six pack during weigh ins.
    Diet Coke is evil.