Do you get along with your inlaws........

Options

Replies

• skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    these post are cracking me up ! I am not married YET, however theman in my life no longer has either of his parents so I wont be able to relate I could only wish I could meet them ..On the other hand Him being able to say that about my Mom..well that might be a different story. LOL she can be a little difficult at times.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Not in the slightest... I do my very best to be polite and to expect nothing from them at all. Other alternative is get drunk and avoid them as best i can. lol

You took the words out of my mouth.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Every time I have to visit them, which is every second Sunday, I want to claw my eyes out.

Just don;t go, life is too short.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not married, but have lived with the boyfriend nearly eight years. Yes. I get along with his family.
  • lyrics4mal
    Options
    My inlaws are a blessing. I hear so many mother in law horror stories from people and I'm so thankful I don't have to endure a relationship like that. I feel sorry for those who do. :(
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I get along with my in-laws WAY better than I get along with my parents and the rest of my family.
    I talk to them more, and hang out with them probably 20x more as well!

My MIL and I go on frequent "girly dates" every month, just the two of us, and we babble back and forth all day every day like a bunch of old hens.

I realized a few months ago that I talk to my guy's parents more than he does :laugh:
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I dont have to see them that often, but when I do it is painful.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    My mother in law is a sweet lady, but I can't stand her for too long because she's a church goer and just loves to recite the bible :huh: Can't stand my sister in law, we butt heads all the time. The only one I like is my brother in law, but that could be because he's hundreds of miles away :laugh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I love my Father in Law. When the girls were born, he was a great help. My husband has no patience for his parents... I have no patience for his Mother. She's Bat Crazy. This women has lived in the house she's in since she's 13 (52 years), and can't be alone in her own house! An absolute kook!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law is a very sweet and loving woman who, though sometimes overbearing and pushy, is truly a good woman. Sometimes she makes me uncomfortable and can be rude, but it's because she lacks tact - not because she is mean-spirited. I love her and am so lucky to have her for my MIL.

My father-in-law passed away two years ago. He was an incredible man, and I see so much of him in my husband. I miss him. He was the kind of person that I was proud to be related to, and considered a friend.

My 3 brothers-in-law and sister-in-law are all incredible people. The wives are, too, but family functions can be challenging sometimes! Lots of different personalities to navigate. Still, I love them all and recognize that I'm fortunate to be part of the circle!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My inlaws are VERY old fashioned. MIL hasn't worked a day in her life and FIL didn't finish elementary school because he had to work for his family.

That said, they are unbelievably nice. I love them to death. Very down-and-out, don't have much.. but they are very appreciative of what they DO have, and time that they get to spend with their grandbabies, spoiling them every way they can.

The free-loading BIL and his girlfriend, I can do without though... lol

My hubby loves my parents too. I think we lucked out here
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I had a boyfriend in college who I considered marrying and his mother was a NIGHTMARE. Personality disorders (probably several), an Oedipal complex on his end and she treated him more like her husband (and me the other woman) than a son. His father was not in the picture, since he was 5.

Dodged a bullet there, but it taught me that the family is very important. I won't get involved with someone who has awful parents.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I get a long with My in-laws. but the Step in-laws I can't stand! there just horrible people, they are entertaining at times the way watching the Jerry Springer show is entertaining. But I can't stand being around them
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    My MIL says I am possessed by satan, or says I am satan? Or people who defile their bodies with tattoos are possessed by satan? Or is it women who marry their only precious son and ALSO have tattoos and a career, (at the time) and no desire to keep their mouth shut are obviously possessed by satan? Gosh, it's all so hard to keep straight.

We haven't spoken in 4.5 years, so we get along GREAT! :bigsmile:
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hate my MIL, can tolerate my FIL though. Husband is an only child. MIL came to my house while I was in the Bahamas and did our laundry. Ugh. Do not want her going through my things or cleaning my house. Think she was trying to help??? Umm the only thing she washed of mine was my dirty underwear....and sooo many more stories. I absolutely can't wait until she dies.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My mother in Law is like my biggest fan! Apparently last time she spoke to my hubby she told him how lucky he is to have such a beautiful girl. And that I should be a model. She's wonderful and I love her to bits. Completely barmy, but that's why we get on so well. It's really a good job we get on so well though as on our first date she rang my now hubby and he answered then thrust the phone at me and told me to talk to her >_<

As for his siblings, his eldest brother and I do not get on at all. In fact the last time I my hubby spoke to him the git was threatening to come over and beat me up. *rolls eyes* Nice and mature for a 40 year old man eh? So mostly I just avoid him, pretty easy to do as we live in different counties. Get on great with his wife, even attempted to call a truece and invite him to my wedding, he agreed to come, waited until we paid for him and couldn't change the numbers then told us that he wouldn't be coming afterall...so yeah, truece smashed and bitterness reaching epic proportions. Strangely I get on fine with every other member of his family that I've met.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Every time I have to visit them, which is every second Sunday, I want to claw my eyes out.

I used to get along with mine, but they are gone now. I do have a brother-in-law who is a loser. i'm not sure if I would walk across the street to pee on him if I found him on fire.
  • silverbacktrainer
    silverbacktrainer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    :mad: :mad: NO! I THINK WE SHARE A MUTUAL DISLIKE FOR 1 ANOTHER.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

Just don;t go, life is too short.

While I totally agree with you, sometimes it's a necessity to keeping the peace.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I do, actually. My husband and I have been together for fifteen years (married for eight) and I knew them when I was younger... so I've known them forever!

There are things that drive me nuts about them, just like any set of parents, but frankly, they are often better parents to me than my own parents are! So I do love them like crazy and get along with them!

I also know this is pretty rare and I am very lucky.

I DO have a little trouble with my sister-in-law from time-to-time... she's awesome and great, but some of her choices in life make me a little irritated. :)