Diet Soda Challenge

Options
Drinking soda diet or other wise seems to be a very personal decision and people get all fired up like you started talking about religion or politics.

My challenge to you is stop drinking all soda, diet or otherwise for 30 days. Don't change anything else in your routine. Eat the same, exercise the same and come back and tell me what you experienced.

Anyone game?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Hmm, as a proponent of diet soda, I feel like I should participate. Will have to take caffeine supplements to make up for the caffeine.

Nothing to lose, really. Will save $70 a month in soda costs.
  • dayotte33
    dayotte33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Here's a challenge I can relate to! Today is my 76th day of not having ANYTHING to drink other than water. And believe me it was hard. As an officer we get soda for .10 at a corner gas station here in town and I got VERY hooked on diet dr pepper. I never knew how hooked until I tried to stop. I don't miss it one tiny bit now.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can do that lol but hey i can try but i may cheat with a diet dr. pepper
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am game. As I am chugging down a big diet coke as I type. It will be my last for 30days.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    I used to drink one or more cans of diet pop a day.
    However, I have been trying to cut back, as I feel it is not healthy for me - even if it is calorie free!
    Therefore, I limit to 1 diet pop on a weekend! ;)

I can say that I crave it less and less now...

Good Luck to all!!
  • steflbrown
    Options
    I'm game. I used to drink a 2L a day of Diet Coke. I have cut back to maybe 1 can every other day. Would love to cut it out entirely.

Thanks!
  • Drea_ann
    Drea_ann Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm in... starting tomorrow (I've already had a DC today :o))

I've done this before, but this time I will supplement with green tea.

We can do this! (and it'll save me a butt load of money!

Woo Hoo!!
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Ugh I have been wanting to do this. Wow today will be my last day. I had decreased the amount I had drinking now it is time to give it up.
  • teschy123
    Options
    I am hear to say if there is a will there is a way!! I have been soda free since January 23 2012 and I have not missed it one bit!!! You can do it, have faith in yourself!! Remember it only takes 21 days for something to become habit!!!! its been almost 10 months for me!!!! Good luck to all
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You'll feel the fat in your bones melt off
  • dalh
    dalh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 17 of no diet coke. And believe me this is a record for me being the longest I have EVER gone without drinking some kind of soda pop since I started drinking pop regularly when I was 14. So, I went from 2 or 3 cans a day, to zero. And really, I must admit, that it hasn't been that difficult, after the first couple of days, since I have upped my water intake to around 12 cups a day. I am too full of water to even want one lol. The last diet coke I had tasted "funny" to me and took more than 3 hours for me to finish it. This was also my only source of caffeine as well, so an even greater accomplishment!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    did that for 4 months early this year when I dropped 35 lbs...not just because of that but, I know it helped. I supplemented with sobe lifewater....as of today though, I had a big failure and already had a regular Dr Pepper.....it will be water for lunch and supper to make up for that failure!
  • kdf017
    kdf017 Posts: 33
    Options
    Does it have to be diet soda? because I don't drink diet(can't stand the taste), but I do drink regular soda occasionally. I'd like to do this challenge. I've cut back on soda since I started on MFP.. but never completely out. I think it'd probably help with the weight loss. So this'll be day 1. It'll be pretty easy... for now since we have no soda in the house(as of yet). What'll be tough is when I want to drink alcohol because I usually like to mix my drink in soda. I guess I'll have to use juice.. Hahah!
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    3 weeks of no diet coke for me :-)
    i was on 6 cans a day!
  • GoGoChrissy
    Options
    Count me IN!!!!!!! I am going to try and not only NOT DRINK Diet Soda..but also see if I can just drink water for the next 30 days!!! Good Luck everyone!!
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke is like crack to me. I swear they put something in it. I have gone off a couple times and substituted unsweet tea. I may give it another try.
  • cdmalmrose
    cdmalmrose Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those who, for personal reasons, believes that Diet Soda/Drinks are poison. I don't drink it, don't buy it and I don't encourage my family to either. But I have nothing against regular soda in general ... other that I know it is packed with sugar and calories. Which isnt the best for those of us who have a tendency to overindulge.

That said, I am an admitted Root Beer-o-holic and decided to cut back years ago when I was on weight watchers ... It's been now been so long since I've had one that I can barely remember how one taste. Thats good I guess.

Also ... I know that if I get a craving ... more for the carbonation than anything else these days, I drink soda or tonic water with lemon. That seems to help and is a nice change from just water. Most soda machines dispense plain soda water, which makes it nice when you are out and you don't want tea
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Thats the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard. :noway:
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Has anyone who has done this seen a difference in weight or appearance?
  • Kgirl1974
    Options
    Sounds like a great challenge for me. I tend to drink diet soda too often during the week and could benefit from cutting it out. This will be a good jumpstart to doing that. :)